What's new

Compact subwoofers vs. SVS PB-10? (2 Viewers)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Wondering how subwoofers such as the Earthquake mkiv-10, velo mini-vee, and the other compact cube subs might compare with the SVS pb-10. Looking for real world experience rather than just measurements. Thanks

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
The pb-10 is a little large but I was considering trying oit out for a second sub. However, there are some great deals on the Earthquake supernova mkiv-10, sunfire jr, and the velodyne mini-vee. I would like a small, compact subwoofer and wonder what real world output is like.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I can't offer listening comparisons but if compactness is a real issue, you may have to pass on the PB-10 as you say. I could not believe it when I unpacked it. I was really taken aback by the size of the thing. No complaints on sound quality though ;-).

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
No experience here either Dorian. In the July/August issue of Sound&Vision, the dude built a $250,000 theater. He decided to use 2 Sunfire True Subwoofer Juniors ($995 MSRP).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The small sealed subs won't quite have the same impact or output down low (20Hz) that the PB-10 does in a medium sized room. I've heard the 12" Dominator, which is basically a Sunfire sub (made by Carver), and a number of the Velo subs (not the mini vee though), but have not heard the Earthquake.

If size is the issue, the PB-10 is large for a 10" sub, but that size is how it achieves its performance. If you have room for it, for the price it is going to be tough to beat.

SVS is also going to release the SB-12, small sealed sub. It might be worth waiting for that guy.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I have a first generation sunfire true subwoofer MKI. It is a very good sounding sub and has awesome extension for its size, below 20 hz. It is also very high output shakes things like crazy in the opening scene of Episode III.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
It seems that their specs are similar. The sunfire claims to have a 1500 watt amplifier extending down to 22 hz. The earthquake claims to have a 400 watt amplifier extending down to 23 hz. Sunfire also claims to have 108 db output with room gain. Considering they are similar in price and the Sunfire has a smaller foot print, with apparently more power and better specs it would seem obvious, but you will never know untill you hear them yourself.

Seth=L

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sealed subs sound great up top, but they do not have the same capability at the bottom. This is pretty much a given by design. Yes, sealed subs can reach 20Hz, but they usually need that 1500w to do it convincingly too. I've heard the Velo DD-15 and even it did not hit the lowest lows as convincingly as my friends 20-39 Plus or my 15" Tempest running with just 350w.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Well, I have the Earthquake Supernova mkiv-10 as of right now. It is a nice little sub with a really nice rumble to it. It doesn't have the pure power of my other subs-DIY Stryke 12 or Shiva-but it sounds better SQ wise.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Dorian.

The sealed vs. ported issue is SO contentious, however, more than a few people like the sound quality of sealed better, especially for music. Too bad I can't afford a couple of DD-18's. Then again, Mark Seaton's BMF promises to be awesome for $2k. Meanwhile, I'll just continue with ported for bang-for-buck.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I have been playing with the sub and found its position. It is on the small side for my room. When pushed hard I can hear the "SLAPS" passive radiator making some audible noise.

There are some great subs on Audiogon right now-SVS cylinder subs for around $450. I will keep this for awhile but will also keep my eyes open. I may still try the PB-10 but wonder if it is enough of an upgrade. The Earthquake sub was in the $900 range and has great sound quality. I really need a 12" woofer though.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How big of a room? PB-10 is really good in a medium size room, but only adequate in a larger room. Going to need something with more power and more surface area to excite a larger room.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
My room is 14' x 12' but with an 18' peak and a loft overhead to one side. Our house is a completely wide open timber frame. I have just not been impressed with the subs i have built and don't have the time to rework them.

I have an Adcom GFA-555II and the EQ Supernova sub to play with. Valued at about $550 for both that would be my budget for a used sub.

I am very happy with my current set-up otherwise. I am not sure my wife would go for the SVS cylinder though...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to account for the entire area that is open to the sub. Is the seating area almost in the center? Try putting the sub nearer to the seating position, and/or do the "crawl" method for sub placement. Are you running both subs now?

Have you tried EQing or bass traps? With that high ceiling that is open, and a nearly square room footprint, you likely have room modes that may need to be addressed.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I'm running a PB10 in a room that is about 21x20 with a 19ft ceiling. Even then the room is open to the kitchen and foyer. I'm sure I have some dead spots somewhere (I'm no sub expert) but I can't run the thing over 25% on the gain. It currently sits a few inches out from a side wall. Everything shakes! lol I do need to do a proper calibration.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My room is 19x20 with high vaulted ceilings and the PB-10 was very good, but not enough to really activate a room that size the way a larger sub does. It did surprisingly well, hitting 16Hz in my room, but did not quite have the output I was after. SVS's recommendation for my room? 2 PB-10s :) I moved up to a 15" DIY since then, so no more question about "is it enough?" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks