What's new

Compact sub? (1 Viewer)

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
Any ideas on a compact active subwoofer? I'm not looking at anything outragous b/c its just for the bedroom. Something small, but hits most of the low frequencies. Throw me some ideas! :)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
numbers would be great here.

what's your budget?
how few hz do you want your bass?
how many cubic feet is a medium sized bedroom?

and so on.

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
Budget: I'd prefer to keep it under $600 for a bedroom setup.
How Few Hz: Mid to low 20's would be ideal.
Size: Bedroom is 12'x12' with 8 ft ceilings.

Thanks!

mackie

Supporting Actor

Bass is a funny thing, and it can be hard to get right. With that said, it's hard to have too much bass. The trick is to match your sub level to your speakers. This is likely to mean that you don't use all of the sub's output. It's much better to have the extra output but not use it than to come up short. Your room is also going to have a major impact on the sub too, and it's hard to predict what actually happens when you put the sub in the room. Another thing to consider is the closer to 20 hz you get the more you feel the bass than actually hear it.

Of the subs in that article, I would get the velodyne due to it having higher output and going deeper than the others. However, it'll be hard to find one in your price range. Take a look a HSU and SVS because I believe both have a sub that'll get you the performance at the price you want. It might be larger than you want. Unfortunately, this hobby often involves trade-offs.

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe for the extra $400 it wouldnt hurt to get something that would work better in this situation :) I'll look into it. Thanks!

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
SVS PB10
SVS PB12
Hsu STF2
Hsu VTF2
Acoustech H-100 (get this and spend the extra money on music/movies!)
Cadence XSub
Acoustic Visions MRS

Any of these will fulfill your needs, you must decide upon size/price/WAF/etc.

JP

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
go to m&k web site Link Removed they have several refurb subs in you price range, one I saw there was there smallest sub, the K8. it was $299 and retails is $499. I have an old m&k and its great.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
How about the Rocket ULW-10 subwoofer? I have one and its great for music and movies and is rather small as far as subs go. Check it out. :D

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Well, for what it's worth, I went ahead and put in an order for the aforementioned Rocket. (I didn't start the thread.)

I just really need to figure out where it's gonna go; space is something of a premium...

Leo

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Velodyne HGS-10. There's a member on here who was selling one; not sure if he still has it or not, and I think it was a bit above your price range, but it is definitely small for the output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks