What's new

Community - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Jim Rash impaling himself on Jeff's fake sword just for a hug was pure awesomeness.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
spshultz said:
Jim Rash impaling himself on Jeff's fake sword just for a hug was pure awesomeness.
Oh, God...the awesome lines were simply too many to count last night:

"There's no women with them, are there? Because I've got class.""...And just remember, whenever the wind whispers through the woods, YOU GOT ME KILLED."

"The Sky-Spiders have flown you as far as their complex religion allows."

"I hold Britta's face in a puddle."

"I...SPRAY...ALL...OVER THEM!!!!"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Loved seeing the DNA of Harmontown D&D all over this episode.Abed is kind of a shitty DM. He creates a detailed world, but forgets that it's supposed to be about having fun.Jonathan Banks just trumped the, "I fought for this country"-meltdown with this episode. I hope Mr. Banks is having as much fun working as I am watching. He deserves it.Hickey using the Prisoner's Dilemma on Abed's hobgoblins was nothing short of brilliant. The split-screen interrogation was amazing enough, and then we got that soft-focus, key-lit Peter Jackson musical-montage. The whole second act was on fire."Each night I will think of you, and rub."

(Also, the look the Dean gave Chang made his "Times Square?"-line even funnier.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
times-square-chang-4.gif

Paul D G

Screenwriter
TVGuide has a hopeful article regarding plans for Community season 6... and a movie
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Community-Season-Renewal-1079686.aspx?rss=breakingnews

Quotes of interest:
According to insiders, at least one director has already been considered to helm the inevitable Community feature: Justin Lin, who directed the last four movies in the Fast & Furious franchise.

Lin has also directed several episodes of Community.
Of course, if Lin ultimately can't do it, several other feature directors have also sat behind the camera for Community, including Joe Russo and Anthony Russo (Captain America: The Winter Soldier).

[...]

NBC and Sony insiders say they're optimistic that a final, 13-episode season is in the cards for Community, especially given the network's inability this season to successfully launch any new comedies on Thursday night.

NBC's Universal TV also co-produces Community, which has helped justify past renewals. But even if NBC were to cancel Community, lead studio Sony Pictures TV would likely aggressively shop the final season elsewhere, to outlets such as Hulu (which already has the show's digital rights).
NOTE: the article contains plot spoilers for the finale so skip that paragraph when you come to it

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Preview clip from the G.I Joe animated episode:

The subtle, politically-incorrect Indian joke is noted and appreciated by me.

Abed's codename: "Fourth Wall." That's genius. Britta totally Britta'd the public safety lesson. "Buzzkill," indeed.

(Dean Pelton as Destro, please.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Admittedly, I haven't seen G.I. Joe in decades but they seem to have completely captured the look of that animation. A lot of parodies come close but they're still slightly off so I gotta give Community a thumbs up for nailing the look.

The "Harmon sucks" graffiti is pretty funny.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Big spoilers from yesterday's PaleyFest panel (where Part 1 of the two-parter season finale was screened):

http://www.hitfix.com/news/11-community-paley-panel-highlights-with-finale-spoilers

Ray Liotta almost played Hickey? And Harmon thinks Donald Glover might be coming back after all:

http://www.avclub.com/article/community-offers-hope-donald-glovers-return-previe-202747

TravisR said:
Admittedly, I haven't seen G.I. Joe in decades but they seem to have completely captured the look of that animation. A lot of parodies come close but they're still slightly off so I gotta give Community a thumbs up for nailing the look.

The "Harmon sucks" graffiti is pretty funny.
Too, if it's going to be a pastiche of '80s Saturday morning cartoons, at least it's Dan Harmon's pastiche, and not a pastiche of Dan Harmon's pastiche of '80s Saturday morning cartoons, which was much of the problem with last year.

And that's the last time I want to type "pastiche" for a month. [What? I did it ag--? oh, goddammit]

Also, considering how much ass Harmon's (even as a co-creator) other animated show kicks, I'm very optimistic about this episode.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've not been a huge fan of the animated stuff, but this time the G.I. Joe homage hits me right in my nostalgia zone.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Cobra Commander: "All right! I loved him! There, I said it!"Zartan: "...Called it!"

"Do we even have ranks? We're all dressed like serial killers and strippers."

"Take me with you! I want to see women's boobs!"

The thought that me and Starburns were watching the same cartoons, having the same thoughts about said cartoons, is rather empowering. Fuck.

I didn't understand why Wingman couldn't just invent Scotch and boobs in the Joeniverse, instead of waking up. Inventing boobs is just one step away from remembering Annie, who is still in the real world and terribly worried about her friend.

(Even with a serious point like that, the Annie/Jeff-thing is even weirder now. You made it weird, Community!)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Community really took me back to the weekday afternoons of my youth last night. G.I. Joe taught me important lessons like: If a giant blob is running amok, lure it into an orchard to poison it with apple seeds, and gold-plating a helicopter makes it impervious to lasers, but also renders it aerodynamically-unsound.

Shipwreck being gender-swapped to become Annie's Tight Ship is ridiculously amusing to me. I fondly remember seeing The Last Detail for the first time as a teenager, and realizing that Shipwreck sounded like Jack Nicholson as a tribute to his character in that film.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, apart from the awesome Dan Harmon cameo ("So...is there a Mr. Tight Ship?", the question most of us were asking right then), the other great, subtle touch was using Michael Bell to voice Duke once again. Between G.I. Joe, Voltron, and too many other shows to count, that guy was a major part of my childhood.

(But does anyone know why Harmon didn't give Annie the codename "Motorboat"?)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Motorboat is funny, but not consistent with the names being descriptive of a character's personality or skill. Tight Ship is consistent with that (not to mention subtly pervy at the same time).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/communitys-cast-and-creators-preview-the-big-gi-joe-animated-episode?abthid=533c8c8a375d55e81900004f
"The weird thing was how cooperative they [Hasbro] were. Not that we maligned their product in any way, but their product is a syndicated, children's cartoon with a different rating than ours, so it's like part of the point of the episode is that there's a different sensibility within this world. So I thought they'd have more problems than they did with the idea of Jeff Winger's G.I. Joe character accidentally killing people. But they were cool with that!"
Loved the gradual mutation of the live-action commercials. "I'm not controlling them! He's doing this himself!"

(Also: the way Deep Dish just hangs his head and doesn't say anything when the battle blows a hole in the wall right next to his Shawshank tunnel.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing this episode's ratings had to be in the toilet compared to its usual numbers. To the casual fan or the person going through the channels, it must have looked like a kids cartoon and a lot of people probably kept on going to another channel.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Synopsis of tonight's episode, "Basic Story" (Part 1 of a two-parter):
Episode Description for Community 5.13

"BASIC STORY"

04/10/2014 (08:00PM - 08:30PM) (Thursday) :

THE STUDY GROUP DELVES INTO THE LEGEND OF DISGRACED FORMER GREENDALE DEAN RUSSELL BORCHERT – SUBWAY MAKES PLANS TO TAKE OVER GREENDALE – CHRIS ELLIOTT GUEST STARS – As Subway makes plans to purchase the Greendale campus for their own Subway University, the study group members contemplate the end of an era. Jeff (Joel McHale) considers a generous offer of employment he has received from Subway, while Britta (Gillian Jacobs) considers an offer she has received from Jeff. Meanwhile, Dean Pelton (Jim Rash) tells Annie (Alison Brie) and Abed (Danny Pudi) about Greendale's first Dean, Russell Borchert (Chris Elliott, Eagleheart), which leads to an interesting and potentially lucrative discovery in the walls of Greendale. Yvette Nicole Brown, Jonathan Banks, and John Oliver also star.
Part two next week is titled "Basic Sandwich."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks