What's new

Community - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
No, that's not a tear in my eye while Goggins is reading Pierce's words to Troy. Nope, that's not a tear. Not at all....

It's nice to see them absolutely crush one out of the park. This felt like a top-five or a top-ten ep, and may have proved that the show is capable of operating on as high a level as ever.

If they can match this quality in the coming weeks, this will be the equal of Season Two. Never would've predicted that.

Moe Dickstein said:
I wouldn't make assumptions lol. Dan is a complex guy.
Dan Harmon's mind is a scary and exciting place. The iPod Nano joke is a callback to seasons ago. What kind of weirdo makes a joke like that, and then just leaves it like it's nothing?

A genius or a maniac...or both, in Harmon's case.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Usually when Boyd yells "Shots!", he means something totally different.

Did anyone catch the name of the polygraph-operator in the credits? Mara. That makes three shows now featuring Walton Goggins interacting with a "Mara."

The sailing-thing also calls back to Season 1's "Beginner Pottery," wherein Troy learned boating in the school parking lot. Finally, those lessons will pay off.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Been thinking about this a bit and I gotta stick by my notion that Community is more of an "auteur" show than most. And if you don't think it is, well just go watch season 4 again if you can bear it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
Been thinking about this a bit and I gotta stick by my notion that Community is more of an "auteur" show than most. And if you don't think it is, well just go watch season 4 again if you can bear it.
I agree that Harmon is the driving force behind the show, the show is clearly better with him than without him and it's certainly more of an auteur show than most (especially when talking about sitcoms) but I'm just saying that he's not the sole reason for the show's success. Even if he completely rules the writing room, the cast is still another huge element of the show's success. Much like the show was the weaker when it lost Harmon, it wouldn't be as good without that specific group of people playing the roles.

And to clarify, I'm not trying to imply that Donald Glover leaving will be the show's doom because the writers will make the most of his departure and there's still 7 or 8 very talented and very funny actors that are still on the show. No one has missed a step since Chevy Chase left (Jonathan Banks is already a perfect fit) and I think everyone will make it work fine without Glover too.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New images from next week's episode (Troy's departure) have already been released:

nup1582940924jpg-e97e07_610w.jpg

nup1582941834jpg-886a36_610w1.jpg

nup1582941872jpg-886a35_610w.jpg

nup1582941989jpg-886a37.jpg

...At least we still have some of Pierce's semen to keep us company.

The episode's title? "Geothermal Escapism."

Was recently rewatching the early-season DVDs, and in one of the Season 1 webisodes, Troy and Abed attempt to get a game of "The Floor is Lava" going in the study room.

Looks like another epic callback is about to happen.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
...and the term "acrobastards" has now been added to my lexicon.

According to Tim Saccardo, who wrote the episode, they were a million dollars over budget on this one. Maybe he was exaggerating, but you could certainly see the dollars on the screen last night.

Gillian Jacobs should get big comedic roles and money heaped upon her once this show ends, or there is no justice in the world. She's so fucking good.

Post-apocalyptic Britta was even hotter than usual. That bodysuit and hair -- oh man. It's like they found my Tumblr.

(I maaaaay have started bawling when Abed said he programmed Troy with homing pigeon DNA to give him the desire to come back home...)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Troy's goodbye scene was really sweet. Also, I have to give it up for the great celebrity cameo/callback.

joshEH said:
(I maaaaay have started bawling when Abed said he programmed Troy with homing pigeon DNA to give him the desire to come back home...)
That was good but I liked Jeff's line about having never set foot outside of Colorado even more.

I don't know if it'll happen but I'm hoping that Donald Glover pops up once more before the end of the season.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Is Chang's same-sex celebrity crush Nathan Fillion?

Amazing finish for the artist formerly known as @donglover.

Loved that Britta ultimately created the coping mechanism that helped Troy and Abed move on. Go Britta. Also, Britta's "Oh no..." when Troy told her the lava was real to Abed...this show and its REAL STAKES in this ridiculousness; it's just beautiful.

(Also-also, Troy reacting to Britta climbing onto The Orb: "I had a dream like this, but it was sexual!")

TravisR said:
Troy's goodbye scene was really sweet. Also, I have to give it up for the great celebrity cameo/callback.
LeVar Burton was a great callback, but the subtle one was good, too -- waaaaaay back in the first-season episode "Debate 109," when the "Troy" character in one of Abed's movies is crying, Real Troy asks, "Why am I crying? Did I accidentally listen to 'Come Sail Away' by Styx again?"

TravisR said:
I don't know if it'll happen but I'm hoping that Donald Glover pops up once more before the end of the season.
Same here. If not, there's always Season 6 (and/or the movie), assuming Community gets picked up like Parks and Rec is going to be.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, "Reverse Danny Thomas"? Who the hell comes up with genius like that?Before any of you who don't know go off and fall down the Google rabbit-hole trying to find out what a "Danny Thomas" is, be forewarned…it's really, REALLY gross, and you'll NEVER be able to unlearn what you learn, and it will make it hard for you to look at those St. Jude Children's Hospital commercials the same way ever again.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
joshEH said:
Also, "Reverse Danny Thomas"? Who the hell comes up with genius like that?Before any of you who don't know go off and fall down the Google rabbit-hole trying to find out what a "Danny Thomas" is, be forewarned…it's really, REALLY gross, and you'll NEVER be able to unlearn what you learn, and it will make it hard for you to look at those St. Jude Children's Hospital commercials the same way ever again.
Genius? Or...uhm...depravity? Hmmmm...two sides of the same coin?

LOL at St. Jude...I always connected Marlo to that charity, but I guess you're right - it's her dad that started it. Somehow I doubt he started a craze for eggs of ANY style...why Danny Thomas?

Farewell, Donald/Troy. If we make it to season 6 OR a movie, you'd better be back.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I admit I've never been a huge fan of the theme episodes, but mostly because they seem to trade cleverness for genuine character development. Last night still felt that way to me, until the actual goodbye scene when things got real and made all the thematic hijinks actually mean something.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yup, pretty much all of those things...plus the hotel stationery.

"Britta, do you get kickbacks from Big Buzzkill?"
"I'm serious!"
"We know."

Two great jokes and three great character beats in as many seconds.

"This is why the English never win any sports, (sobs) because everyone else cheats!! " I am so glad that Oliver is back. I think he may have made me laugh with literally every single line he's ever had on the show.

Oh, and: "Sorry, Britta, but Abed knows best. But I'll always remember you as kind of slowing us down and complaining a lot."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks