What's new

Community - Season 2 Thread (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Probably as good or better than the paintball episode IMHO. Definitely my favorite episode of this season by a landslide.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I think I agreed with Greg at the beginning of the episode, but as it progressed it grew and grew on me as I realized its sheer brilliance. I am amazed at what they try to tackle for a 30min comedy. Outstanding!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
so what's the next genre the show's going to tackle?
-sports

-musical

-teen vampire

-time travel

-lost / serial tv

-csi

-STAR WARS EPISODE

-heist

-wes anderson

-tarantino

some of these seem out there, but who'd have predicted a zombie episode?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Holy fucking shit, that was awesome. Personally, I think Community may have just beaten "Modern Warfare" with this one. Amazing from beginning to end.
Pierce with the banana was great, but the cat topped it. Best show on TV. And Chang had me rolling. "It's a hamster! A HAMSTER!!" The cat scene...I literally spit up my drink at Glover's, "SERIOUSLY, IS SOMEONE THROWING IT?!"
And I loved Troy suiting up in the power-loader at the end, only to have the zombies rip it apart in seconds. "I don't know why I thought this would work!" Glover should get an Emmy for Best Actor Ever™, just for this episode. Finally: "...Human Centip-"

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I missed the beginning but the rest was classic. I need to go back and Hulu all the episodes I haven't been watching.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I got up early this morning so I could watch it again before work. Seriously - Glover SHINES in this episode. Sexy Dracula? With a toilet seat cover and TP rolls? The cat kills me...and they never catch it! Pure hilarity from start to finish AND they manage to do a nice homage to the zombie genre. I also love the slurred speech and "Special?? Nobody is special!!"

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
What an awesome episode! For me it ranked right up there with the Paintball and American Poultry episodes.

The dean as Lady Gaga killed me. And then Chang and Shirley getting it on in the bathroom? That was not expected. I'm wondering how they are going to run with that one?

Oh yeah, and the cat! I don't know why but that tickled me to no end.

And Pierce playing with the banana costume. I could go on and on.

It's by far my most favorite comedy show on TV by a wide margin.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Some more thoughts/quotery from/about this episode's awesomeness:

• Jeff's "death" was a lot like Captain Rhodes's from Day of the Dead.

• I'm sure the ladies appreciated shirtless Glover. Dude is pretty ripped. The cat, though...pure awesome. Laughed the hardest I have in quite a while because of that.

• Jeff screwing around on his phone as a zombie, then going right back into it when he comes "around" again.

• "You punched a ladybee!!"

• When Annie got pulled through the window, you can see an "upskirt" (though she's wearing stockings).

• Troy and Abed, as zombies, greeting each other.

• Starburns' plaintive, "My name is Alex!"

• Jeff's confused, frustrated, "...um?...UM!!!", right as Dean Pelton is locking the doors.

• "...Add Eat Pray Love soundtrack to workout mix."

• "Hey, Rich -- just so you know? I hate you less, now. That's how much I hate your NORMAL self!"
What's interesting is that Patton Oswalt was meant to be the "doctor" in this episode, but was too busy to shoot it. So they brought back Potterywood. Fluid! I definitely want to see the guy come back as a recurring character. Alan Sepinwall has an interesting write-up on how the episode was developed.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
every episode so far this season has either been awesome or really good. this is a pretty good run so far.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not that I know how to run a network but I would think that hammocking Community in between 30 Rock and The Office would yield better results for Community. I guess they don't want to 'damage' 30 Rock by airing it against The Big Bang Theory but even if 30 Rock dropped a little bit, I think Community's increase would be worth it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wish they had gone full-on Cocoon and had Pierce leading Leonard and all the other oldsters into the secret garden, where they would then jam the trampoline until it broke. Oh well. The best part was when the girl was crying and all we could hear was Abed saying, "Bad. Bad."

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

Not that I know how to run a network but I would think that hammocking Community in between 30 Rock and The Office would yield better results for Community. I guess they don't want to 'damage' 30 Rock by airing it against The Big Bang Theory but even if 30 Rock dropped a little bit, I think Community's increase would be worth it.

Not sure why they need to blow their load all in one night anyway, so to speak, when most of their good scripted shows (besides Chuck) are on in one night.

Some good suggestions were also mentioned in this article posted on CNN recently:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/27/save.nbc.beast/

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
That might be the most laughs-per-minute in any episode of TV I've ever seen. It's INSANE how well this show is working right now.

Some of the big highlights:

• The racist-reveal may be one of the funniest things I've seen this year. The swastika-tattoo, "It's gonna be a maze"-line slayed me.

• The first time Troy and Jeff discover the secret garden, their faces of joy and all the bullshit, feel-good vibes were terrific. But when he said, "It was my fault -- should have never trusted a black guy," I almost died. Troy's slow realization sealed it.

• Winger closing the door on an ice-cream-toting Chang. Also, Chang's milk spit-take.

• Pierce and Leonard trying to download the spy pics.

• Jeff: "It's like wearing a pair of dreams."

• I always enjoy a showing of Donald Glover's tears. ("WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!??!")

• "Paradise is right here."

• Jeff's little moment of sartori ("...You've been on it for an HOUR").

• Andy Dick flying Pierce's RC Dragonfly.

Also, I had no idea Hilary Duff had actually become hot.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There were some pretty funny comments in Robo-Abed's HUD, but I don't have Tivo so I didn't catch them all.

The maze tattoo crack nearly gave me a heart attack.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

"SELL STUDY GROUP ON PAINTBALL SEQUEL," indeed. The "PROJECTED CYCLES" is hilarious. Along with, "RECORD COUGARTOWN."

"BLANKET FORT." Awesome. Hopefully, Troy and Abed will be busy building the most elaborate blanket-fort Greendale has ever seen, next week.

Abed's "RoboCop" vision represents how he zeroes in on the little details only he sees, but he can't see the bigger picture the rest of us can -- namely, the girls exploiting him for their own amusement.

(I was fully expecting the appearance of Poledouris's "RoboCop" theme. Shit...)

Really, the only specific pop-cultural reference in the episode was RoboCop (along with, maybe, White Men Can't Jump), but Community excels at taking familiar tropes and fucking with them -- in this case, the clique of bitchy little princesses and the magical place of purity despoiled by man. It's not a specific callout, but they are familiar.

And then you add a white supremacist.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, for me it was a definite cross between Secret Garden and the Narnia books, with the way Troy pushed through the hedges to reach a magical world. They did a great job turning that on its head, by having the wise caretaker end up being a racist.

It's like the Beatles up in this, because there was no "B"-story, just two "A"-stories. I haven't laughed so hard since "Modern Warfare." The secret garden; Abed's bitch-meltdown; Pierce's "These balls are gonna be glued to your butts!"; Chang flipping over the table; "This is going to be a maze"...so much amazing shit, here. God bless Dan Harmon and all his writers.

Outsourced is the "Mama's Family" to Community's "Arrested Development."

Loved this episode. LOVED.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks