What's new

Community - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It finally dawned on me last night who Allison Brie reminds me of -- it had been slowly coalescing in the back of my brain for the past few weeks, and it finally crystallized last night -- Allison is an attractive version of Allyson Hannigan*! I can totally picture Allison as Willow in an alternate reality cast of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's like they came from the same acting school (or perhaps womb).

Troy's line about Allison perhaps being confused because "Randy is a boy or girl's name" was hilarious. I didn't get it at first, so it was a way homer.

All three songs were infantile and worthy of rewinding. There's nothing like being cleverly infantile -- it's like the best of both comedy worlds.

Greg, if you love Britta so much, choke. That is, rent the Sam Rockwell movie Choke. And yes, the entire Community cast is awesome. I haven't laughed this much at Chevy Chase since... um... Caddyshack? I know Fletch is a cult classic, but that movie never did anything for me. I do have this nostalgic attachment to Modern Problems, as I saw in the theaters as a wee lad. But Chevy was like a gambler on a losing streak with regard to funny -- a twenty some-odd year losing streak. His facial reactions playing the keyboard were... is there another word to use instead of "hilarious"? I think I've used that word a bajillion times in this thread. But yeah, hilarious (I think the bolding helps differentiate it a bit).

Man, Vaughn has really tiny nipples. Is that make-up or did they purposefully cast a small nippled man for the role?

*as noted in the HIMYM thread, I do not find Allyson Hannigan "hot" or even all that attractive. Sorry if that offends you.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wondered the very same thing. I figured it was either makeup, or they maybe came up with the running gag after seeing him.

At the first episode, I thought maybe Chevy would be the boat anchor on this show, but he's come around. "She a GDB!" I was a fan in the '80s, but not so much afterwards. But, I think that's a pretty common reaction to Chevy. Once he got the talk show, he was pretty much over until now.

I'm not offended, but I do find Allyson to be kind of "nerdy hot." She was never one of my favorites, though. And, I've got nothing against Allison's looks, but I think her nerdy neurosis kind of erases her sexiness on this show. I still need to see her on Mad Men.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H ">[/url]

I've got nothing against Allison's looks, but I think her nerdy neurosis kind of erases her sexiness on this show. I still need to see her on Mad Men.[/QUOTE]Or you can see her like... this:

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Okay, I'll admit up front that I'll focus on some weird things... That being said, I am always fascinated when they put movie posters on a set, particularly because they usually pick stuff with no actors' likenesses to avoid clearance issues. In this week's "Community," in Abed's dorm room I noticed the great "Back to the Future Part II" teaser (just the car), "Short Circuit 2" (just the robot) and most amusingly the misbegotten Jeff Goldblum/Cyndi Lauper vehicle "Vibes" (just the title). Sneakily, they showed a "Back to the Future" one-sheet on the back of the door, but only the title was visible, cropping out Michael J. Fox. In every other shot, the door was open so you couldn't see the poster. There were two posters I could not figure out what they were, however. One was above the bunk beds, where they showed only the bottom, and it had a huge credit block in grey on black. The other was right above the couch that had a lot of stuff on it. I actually saw people on that one, so I wondered if it might have been made up by the show staff. The other clue to what they might be is that only posters from the show's co-producing studios (Sony and Universal) are represented.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Derek Miner
There were two posters I could not figure out what they were, however. One was above the bunk beds, where they showed only the bottom, and it had a huge credit block in grey on black. The other was right above the couch that had a lot of stuff on it. I actually saw people on that one, so I wondered if it might have been made up by the show staff. The other clue to what they might be is that only posters from the show's co-producing studios (Sony and Universal) are represented.
"Stand By Me" and "batteries not included' were above the couch, but the one you mentioned was "It Came from Beneath the Sea."

I only see "Vibes" above the bed. When Abed jumps in, that appears to be the only one present. When Britta speaks to Jeff later, the bottom of the same poster can be seen to her right.

By the way, they didn't crop out Michael J. Fox. I'm looking at a freeze frame right now and he's right there, looking at his watch.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H ">[/url]

By the way, they didn't crop out Michael J. Fox. I'm looking at a freeze frame right now and he's right there, looking at his watch.

[/QUOTE]Correct:

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

"Stand By Me" and "batteries not included' were above the couch, but the one you mentioned was "It Came from Beneath the Sea."

I only see "Vibes" above the bed. When Abed jumps in, that appears to be the only one present. When Britta speaks to Jeff later, the bottom of the same poster can be seen to her right.

I guess I tricked myself into thinking they didn't show Michael J. Fox. Interesting that they did, considering the rest of the posters fit within the idea of not showing likenesses.

"It Came From Beneath the Sea" is an interesting poster but not a movie I was familiar with. It seems out of place with all the other posters being from the 80s. And a "duh" moment on the "Vibes" poster. I should have realized the poster with all the credits on the bottom was that one. Side note: I also find it amusing that someone has decided to label "Vibes" a "huge critical and commercial success" on Wikipedia.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I actually saw Vibes at the movie theater. I don't even remember anything about the movie anymore except that it was really terrible.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Human Being! Seeing him with pom-poms was a riot.

"Will I accidentally listen to 'Come Sail Away' by Styx?"

Annie was looking good sexed up. *Pat pat* I liked Britta's expressions when pretending to be under hypnosis--the popeye!

"Nice shot, Bruce!"

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Yup. That's it. After this most recent episode it is now my favorite comedy show on TV. I have laughed more with this show than I have any other sitcom in a very long time.

The Human Being mascot with pom-poms was hilarious! And the wheelchair guy making his final (slow-mo) rebuttal had me on the floor.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Hereeeeeeee's brownies!" It took me several beats before I got that. ).

"I hope this doesn't awaken something in me. . . ."

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Loved the whole musical montage bit, cross-cutting all the stories. Bravo!

I'm also assuming "cherry daquiri" was an inside joke - it was Gillian Jacobs' "stripper name" in "Choke."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks