What's new

Comming of Age (Old TV Series) (1 Viewer)

Dennis-hp

Agent
Anyone know if this will ever be released to DVD? It was a great show that died before it's time...Starred Paul Dooley as retired Airline Pilot living with his wife and some wacky neighbors in a retirement community in Arizona run by Kevin Pollack. It ran for two short seasons....I think only 22 or so episodes in all. What a wonderful show with great writing and a very funny cast. It never got the audience it deserved and was canceled.

I'd love to see it offered on dvd as I'd be the first to buy it. I hope Universal will "blow the dust" off this one and get it released to video. I think it will find a whole new audience.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I don't think it ran 22 episodes. I remember CBS yanked it off pretty quick and enough people complained that they brought it back and then cancelled it again. Season One lasted 3 episodes and then it was axed and brought back with a 15 episode season Two and only 12 episodes of that season aired. I have got about 6 or 8 episodes on video and it was a great show. I think it was done by the people who did "Newhart". One very funny episode had the last appearance of Bob and Ray. It also starred Alan Young. I wouldn't think it has much of a chance to come out on DVD, but I would buy it too.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
15 episodes made with 4 of those unaired in the US. Those 4 may have aired somewhere overseas perhaps. This show would not have any chance of a release, even with stars like Alan Young, Phyllis Newman and Ruta Lee. Your best bet is just to transfer the 11 episodes you have from videotape to DVD. Otherwise you can forget it. Too obscure. But just be happy it aired in 1989 when we had VCRs and not in 1969.

Dennis-hp

Agent
Well...I hope some studio guy reads this thread and sees that there may be a buck or two to be made by pressing a DVD or two with the episodes that were shot. My wife and I watched the show and never laughed so hard when they did the lip sync episode with Paul Dooley doing the singing in the background.

Unfortunately, I never recorded any of the shows...so all I have are my memories and a wallet with money I'd spend on a DVD release of the series. Hope this gets picked up by someone who can make it happen.

Cheers

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

I checked the Universal book and there were actually only 14 made.

Sorry you never recorded the shows. Yet another example of why it's better to record everything in case you might like it. It's easier to erase something you don't like than to not record it and then say whoops afterwards.

As for a DVD release? From Universal? They don't even release their own successful series. Seriously, if you really want the show, I'd take that wallet of yours and try to find a serious collector who recorded them. That's your only realistic shot.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I came up with 18 episodes from tv.com but I must admit I think it sounds a little high. I checked my collection and I had only taped 6 episodes and I thought I taped all the ones that were aired when the show was brought back after it was cancelled the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks