What's new

Commercials Too Loud Regulation? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A few weeks back it was reported that the FCC implemented a regulation requiring that commercials not be louder then the programming surrounding them. I've got a couple of questions: 1) Does this only apply to OTA broadcasts or are cable and SAT channels included? 2) Has anyone noticed a difference?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Norv, Sorry I can't be of too much help, as the moment a commercial comes on, I mute our television. The exception to this is when we're watching the Super Bowl each year. I'm planning on watching DVR'd episodes of Elementary and Hawaii Five-O tonight. I'll listen to see if I notice a difference in the volume of the programs and their respective commercials.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
If I'm not mistaken, the rule is that the average volume of the commercial can't surpass the average volume of the programming that it's advertising during. Since it's just an average, that doesn't prevent advertisers from being really loud for a few seconds at the beginning and then quieting down for 27 seconds, for example.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joe_H said:
If I'm not mistaken, the rule is that the average volume of the commercial can't surpass the average volume of the programming that it's advertising during. Since it's just an average, that doesn't prevent advertisers from being really loud for a few seconds at the beginning and then quieting down for 27 seconds, for example.
I may be wrong, but I believe commercials can be as loud as the loudest noise in the show. For example, you could have a very quiet, subtle show that happens to have a very loud gun-shot in it. The volume of that gun-shot then becomes the volume advertisers are allowed. So let's say the show is hovering around a volume of 1-3 but has a gunshot at level 10. That leaves advertisers free to broadcast their ad at level 10. This may be old info, so please feel free to correct me. I'm just happy for DVRs, since I know longer watch ads, doesn't affect me at all.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"I may be wrong, but I believe commercials can be as loud as the loudest noise in the show." Stan, That was actually my understanding at least up to the new regulations, which I know nothing about.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
There are rules but they're meaningless both in the cinema and on tv. The use of compression delivers APPARENT loudness without necessarily peaking louder on the meter. I'm a sound engineer and have to use compression because everybody else does. The hidious music used in cinema commercials, imitating what young people find appealing, adds to the generally intolerable din - if you're of the current music hating generation. But the engineering keeps the torture within spec.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
What Stan says was correct until December 2012, at which point it changed to what I described. http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/loud-commercials

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks