What's new

Commercials that just irritate you.... (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
ALL Carl’s Jr. ads, especially the incredibly annoying sound of someone chewing a messy, gloppy burger. The typical male in the ads is an unshaven, slovenly near-neanderthal who looks like he barely has enough brainpower to tie his shoelaces (and of course couldn’t cook to save his life). I can’t fathom why anyone would want to be associated with such a demographic.

And I’ve despised every Quizno’s ad, from the “I want to eat garbage!” to the hamsters to the talking baby.

LewB

Screenwriter
Any ad for a prescription medicine or politician.
BTW, you ever notice how when the show you are watching shows a commercial, your 'backup' show is almost always showing a commercial also ? I hate it when that happens :angry:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

As someone already said "All of them!"

I despise commercials with every cell of my being. I would gladly pay double for my cable bill and not have to watch these incessant pieces of garbage aimed at stupifying the entire population. Most commercials don't even mention what they're selling anymore.

95% of my TV viewing is "Turner Classic Movies" and that's a big part of why. It's also a huge part of the reason that I avoid the network's except for sports & The Simpsons.

...and don't even get me started about commercials at the theater!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Did I mention I hate commercials?

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

I hate Old Navy commercials. ALL of them. Especially the ones from a few years ago with Morgan Fairchild and the older woman with the big round glasses: "Im simply MAD for them! Hearts rat-tat-tat for them!" AAAAAAAAAAGH! The newer ones don't irk me as much, but I still hate them.

I'm willing to bet the same ad agency behind Old Navy did those sickening Burger King ads with Hootie and Brooke Burke (STILL can't figure out why this gal has ANY kind of career).

The army ads where the guy is asked "What do you do?" and he says "I'm a computer programmer" and someone says "Couldn't you have done that here?" Then they show the guy at a computer in some hectic situation. And then he smugly says "no, I couldn't."
"No, being a programmer isn't entertaining enough. I need the added excitement of being shot at in 110-degree desert heat..."

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Besides locally produced commercials, I would say that the Little Ceasar's commercial with the mom jumping out of the car and asking the guy what day's the $5 Hot-n-Ready pizza is available. I either mute it or change the channel when it comes on.

Now that I think about it, all of Little Caesar's commercials are annoying, but that one takes the cake.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes! The Army ad!
While I can't argue that working in a cubicle is nothing compared to military action...the whole concept of making it sound like these Army people can do better work (in a business setting) than anyone else, is a bit insulting. They're quite pretentious.
Besides locally produced commercials
You...mean..the...ones...where...some...dumb...sch muck...talks...as...if...he/she...is reading from a cue card? :D

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
The Oxy Clean ads where the bearded guy yells at us.

There's some prescription drug ad in which doctors say things and at the end they say "Ask us about (name of drug)." Um, shouldn't the doctor be telling me what to take instead of me asking about a particular drug? "But I want the one they showed on TV!"

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
The only commercials that REALLY bother me are the ones that seem to be the only ones playing that night. Over, and over, and over again.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I like a lot of commercials. I like the Sonic ones. I don't care one way or another about the Kleenex one, but I do the same types of things as that guy, and I'm not a Buddhist. I got a wasp in the house once, and I somehow got him to land on a piece of newspaper, covered him with a cup, and took him out. I despise roaches, but I've taken them out alive before. Them, I take all the way out to the alley so they don't come back in. :D
The commercials I hate are the damn "priceless" ads. They were really cool and effective ten years ago. Now, they just piss me off. We GET that the last thing is going to be "priceless!" Enough! I really hate the ones with the idiot doing the drum roll.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
The commercials I hate are the damn "priceless" ads. They were really cool and effective ten years ago. Now, they just piss me off. We GET that the last thing is going to be "priceless!" Enough!
I actually like some of those ads...but mostly the earlier ones, when the "concept" hadn't worn so thin.
But, I do love the MacGyver spoof! :D
http://www.priceless.com/film/worldpremiere.html
Priceless, indeed. :)
Many thanks to Gord and TSoD for the link:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5062
I don't watch the SuperBowl, and haven't seen the commercial on air otherwise, so the link referenced by Gord has been my only exposure to it. The "making of" and interview clips at that site are great too.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
  • Radio Commercials with the sound of someone typing on a computer keyboard or loudly pouring a glass of beer. It's very, very irritating and I'm glad other people hate this too.
  • Anything with talking babies. PLEASE STOP with the talking babies, Quiznos!. It makes me LONG for the days of the deformed guitar-playing hamster things. Talking babies were never funny. People who laugh at them are under the hypnotic control of evil alien squids from outer space.
  • Every commercial with some smug "authoritative" guy telling me I should call this number, or ask my doctor about Flonase or whatever side-effect-laden medicine they're peddling.
  • I usually don't mind low-budget commercials because they aren't slick - it's slickness that bothers me and they're often so badly-acted that they become entertaining. Except for that craftmatic adjustable bed commercial with the guy in bed on the telephone. An operator is talking to him: "Sir, may I interest you in a Craftmatic Adjustable Bed?" "No-You-May-Not!" "May I ask why?" "Because I already OWN a Craftmatic Adjustable Bed! ..." Ugh...

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
The current Verizon commercial with that ugly freak shrieking "Urgent, emergency!" apparently to a song he downloaded.
I would like to throw him to a pod of great white sharks, so that he could be torn apart in a wild feeding frenzy and have something to scream about.
:angry:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Another horribly annoying commercial is the current Pink Panther ad, where Steve Martin says, "Hamburger!" and the family who supposedly loved the movie imitate the line. Either version of the line is horrible.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
One commercial that almost made my skin crawl was the one about "all homes have mold"...the one with everybody screaming or making other noises to shield themselves from this "revelation". The entire commercial was just totally obnoxious, but that one woman with the protracted, "moaning" scream just about made my ears bleed.

Fortunately, I haven't seen this one in quite some time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The sad thing with commercials is, they are basically effective on those who aren't too bright. The 'trick' with a commercial is to manipulate the consumer into thinking that their product is something you need to purchase.

That's why, when you hate commercials, you REALLY loathe them...They are extremely insulting to your intelligence. You see the mind games the agencies play on the 'weak minded' and it's very frustrating.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
The sad thing with commercials is, they are basically effective on those who aren't too bright. The 'trick' with a commercial is to manipulate the consumer into thinking that their product is something you need to purchase.

That's why, when you hate commercials, you REALLY loathe them...They are extremely insulting to your intelligence. You see the mind games the agencies play on the 'weak minded' and it's very frustrating.
There's one commercial in particular which bothers me for EXACTLY this reason...the one for AARP auto insurance, where the female cop stops the male driver and does the pitch. At the end of the commercial, she holds up an AARP card and the AARP insurance card and says "If you have THIS card, you HAVE to have THIS card."

I personally know several elderly folks who have actually worried about this, thinking that it was a new law or something with which they were required to comply. With all the Medicare, prescription card, etc. media buzzes lately, I can well understand how a commercial like this (with a COP doing the pitching) could honestly confuse them into thinking this was indeed something which they were REQUIRED to do.

Shame on AARP for using this particular tack.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I have the radio on in my office. And all day I hear this commercial for "Sunsetter" retractable awnings. In the first commercial they had a guy explaining the awning like he was a customer...but, the annoying part was his wife moaning everytime he spoke. She would be like "Tell them about the discount Harry!"...over and over. They finally changed it. Well, kinda of. Its the same commercial but instead of the wife bitchin to him...its a another guy. And its just as annoying.
I remember that commerical and I hated it so much that when I'd start to hear it I'd turn the radio off. There are other ones on the radio now that I do the same thing to, but I can't remember them off the top of my head at the moment (turning off the radio appears to work)

The one on TV that bugs me is the Sudafed (I think) one where people come up and decribe their pain, and are met with "Sudafed, aisle 5", and of course the last one is answered by a woman who suffered earlier. To me it sounds like she's coming off like "Oh sure, dummy! Don't you know, it's Sudafed, aisle 5! I've known that for years!"

Ok, I know that's reading too much into it, but it bugs me just the same....

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Regarding beer commercials with the sound of beer being poured, I couldn't agree more LOL! There are certain sounds that should only be heard in real life. In fact, I hate the sound of any liquid being poured when it isn't happening in front of me.
Radio commercials about computer colleges when I get a girl asking me "What!? You DIDN'T get a 12% raise last year and your not making the kind of money you want? I have to ask you, why not"
"To spite you." Is usually my answer.
Why can't these people just leave people alone and let them live their freakin' lives already?
Any commercial with a woman reaching orgasm over something stupid like shampoo or diamonds. :angry: Don't they realize that kids might be listening or watching?

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
todd s,

Oh god how I hate that sunsetter commercial. I am not a misogynist or a violent man but I really want to wring that woman's neck when she keeps saying "tell them about the discount, Harry!" And I want to kick Harry in the nuts for not telling his wife to shut the hell up.

After hearing this commercial for the third time, I just turn off the radio or change the channel. But I can still hear her voice in my head, over and over, "tell them about the discount Harry!" ARRRRRGHGHH!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks