What's new

Commander in Chief ongoing thread (2 Viewers)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I completely agree with the Snidely Whiplash comments. Donald Sutherland's character is so.. wrong.

Look, whether or not it's play that way, if this "was" a Republican administration that was elected, then it doesn't help him at all to continue to battle with his own whitehouse.. even if he doesn't like the VP, she was the standard bearer of his party.

So, his actions are both comical, and ridiculous. As far as him having 'aspirations in 2 years' Yeah, Donald Southerland? Look, there are people who question McCain (who will be 72, but sharp) but at least he doesn't look like the mad scientist from Robot Chicken :)

Southerland's crazy wild hair, his wild, conniving schemes against the president 'let's bring her down'. Hey, I hate to break it to the show writers, but no matter how evil they think of republican house members, they still have to get elected. And you won't get elected acting like a complete crazed villain, ala Sutherland ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Remember that commercial about hearding cats? That's what the baseball commisioner's job is like, except the cats are the owners and the players and the umpires. In theory, his job major concern is the good of baseball, but he's hired and paid by the owners. Do they always have the good of baseball in mind.

It seems to be the commisioners jobs has tough mandates to fulfull without the enough authority.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy this show, but I think the producers are concentrating more on the domestic scene, not only that there can't be the direct comparisons to WW, but sadly, because the president is a woman.

Love the comparison to Snidely Whiplash. That is so dead-on right!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
If they didnt concentrate on Family people would be saying that it is a direct copy of WW. I think they need to work on writing for the family stuff because it just isnt working especially that little girl. I do like the son though.:emoji_thumbsup:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Interesting character development on Rebecca I'd say: she's been petulant since her mother became president and doesn't like the attention, wants to steal a moment with the guy, which her Secret Service agent stupidly agreed to, got accosted (though I'd have to say that scene was so overblown as to be OTT) and pressed her panic button, and ultimately got her agent demoted (at least in terms of assignment). But at least she shows remorse and appears to be learning that her "wishes" have consequences.

What odds that the guy beds her (maybe her first?), then promptly brags to everyone about it, and it gets into the media? Hence why her brother Horace, and his friend, keeps warning her about him.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Ashame her bodyguard got the ax because of her actions. I wonder if she is gone for good? I liked her.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Each week he tried to work against the President. That's getting old.

But it's totally realistic. Ripped from the headlines, as they say.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I don't think it is. This latest episode with the oil tanker being the most unrealistic. As the situation was presented, Snidely (as I will now refer to the speaker) was taking a huge risk by trying to force the tanker out the sea. If it back fired on him and the taker had dumped all its oil, it would have spread to most of the eastern coast instead of a more concentrated area.

I'm a Democrat and don't have a high opinion of Republicans, but I don't think they'd be willing to take that kind of risk. In fact, if the Prez can make the case to the public that going out to sea is the riskiest decision and can prove that Snidely was trying to force that action, she can damage him politically, even though all ended well.

I'm not trying to inject politics here, just making the point that even for a Democrat, some of Snidely's actions are hard to believe.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I agree. He is there to cause trouble and its to the degree that it is unrealistic. Hopefully Bochco will see this and change him?
Anyone know when his episodes start to air?

PatH

Second Unit
Don't have my Constitution handy, but isn't there an amendment that requires that a Prez and his Veep be of the same Party? I know it wasn't that way originally (another post alluded to this) but if I recall, problems with the 1800 election made such a requirement desirable. I wasn't there of course, but I am old enough to have had civics and poli sci in high school and college and I understand these are not required anymore.

PatH

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Don't have my Constitution handy, but isn't there an amendment that requires that a Prez and his Veep be of the same Party?

Absolutely not. You must be thinking of Cuba or some other Communist regime.

The US Constitution does not refer to political parties at all.

Where were you last year when there were rumors that the Democrat candidate for President was trying to get a certain Republican senator as his running mate?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The problem was that they used to give the VP to whoever got the second most votes for President. That did cause problems in 1796 and 1800, which is why they passed the 12th Amendment in 1804 to vote for each office separately. With political parties, it makes sense to create a ticket, usually from the same party. But really the goal is to get the President elected, and you choose the VP solely on that basis. Which is what happened here on CiC.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Didn't you just love the way Keaton pushed the buck back to "Snidely" when he asked about the story that President Bridges had asked VP Allen to resign, and Keaton noted that the Speaker, who's name he had "forgotten", would therefore become president?

I wonder though just what could have been so scandalous regarding Keaton's daughter that Snidely is so confident he now "owns" Keaton? Even if it was something scandalous, (a) it wasn't Keaton himself involved in the scandal, it was his daughter, and (b) she's dead anyway, so whilst he might want to protect her memory, that wouldn't typically be an "at all costs" effort, whereas if she were still alive he would go further to protect her privacy.

Since the big point seems to be that she was a single mom, and some sort of experiment was mentioned, I'm thinking somehow artificial insemination seems to figure into this; perhaps even genetic engineering?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Oooo.. Templeton's past comes back to haunt him! Actually, not using the tape against him now is possibly even smarter, since from now on Templeton will always worry that any scheme he hatches might unleash retribution in the form of the tape being released; if it's released now, he's ousted, and someone new who won't necessarily be any less antagonistic might become Speaker. Better the devil you know (and now have some hold over) than the devil you don't, eh?

Bye bye Natasha. Shame.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. I can see Bochco is trying to inject a bit of humor which it needed and they gave a bit more demension to Sutherland's character at the end there talking to his wife.
Looks like Mark Paul Gossler is going to shake things up.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I cracked up at the "Better get your cup." line delivered by Mac.

I've finally caught up with the past 5 episodes over the weekend. I was bummed when the older daughter got Julie Emery's character booted off that detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks