What's new

Coming, to a theater near you. (1 Viewer)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear that, Brian. The next logical question is how much power you were pushing at the time. That's probably not really something you can answer off hand, but it might be helpful to know at least the size of your room. I don't recall you mentioning it, but then again this thread is 4 pages long so I might have missed it. I can imagine that a small-to-medium room might only need 500 watts or less to reach 115dB at some (unknown) frequency with the sensitivity advantage of 4 drivers. This seems reasonable - it could reasonably have the potential for >=120dB at 2kW so at 1/4 power that's >=114dB.

IOW if a CS-Ultra could hit 115dB in your room then there's no reason to doubt that the quad sub could hit 115dB with 2 ports blocked since the area of the two open ports is greater than the total port area of an Ultra.

I know this forum has received some flak in the past from newbies who think we play favorites. So I think its a good practice to put a new SVS through the same scrutiny we'd give any other subwoofer (recall the port area/PR excursion discussions regarding the VMPS larger sub). Once it has proven itself - and I think it will - then we can be confident that it truly deserves our hearty recommendation. I'm certainly not trying to discredit SVS. I think Tom would prefer that we ask these kind of questions anytime we see things that we can't immediately accept out-of-hand. In this way both he and his competitors are required to "put up or shut up".

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I know this forum has received some flak in the past from newbies who think we play favorites. So I think its a good practice to put a new SVS through the same scrutiny we'd give any other subwoofer (recall the port area/PR excursion discussions regarding the VMPS larger sub). Once it has proven itself - and I think it will - then we can be confident that it truly deserves our hearty recommendation. I'm certainly not trying to discredit SVS. I think Tom would prefer that we ask these kind of questions anytime we see things that we can't immediately accept out-of-hand. In this way both he and his competitors are required to "put up or shut up".

BrianKR

Second Unit
Ryan,

These are the room dimensions the B4-plus is currently in.
24L x 16W x 8 1/2H
basement room - concrete w/no padding u/carpet.

This weekend, if time allows, I am going to move the sub into my basement game room ( 32L x 18W x 9H ) and see how it performs in a larger room.

I am powering the B4 with a QSC RMX2450 2400W Bridged.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Tom,

How much PR-ing do you think it would take to match the performance of the four 4" flared ports? Four 18" PRs, or more than that even? Do you consider PRs a compromise no matter how much displacement is available?

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i am bulding a dual av15 setup with 4 4in flaired ports. maybe later this year i will muld a seccond. if i feel the need for more bass. but how much bass is too much bass? and how low do you want to go? all i want is a sub that can handle the most recent movies and keep up with the bass level up with the rest of the movie.

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
How does the B4 sub compare to your flagship SS-subs. Would you consider them equals? Or one inferior to the other. By the way, hate to always be correcting your news but on the site it says:

The B4-Plus has been discussed a good on the INTERNET already.

You might want to fix that. I like you guys to look as professional as you are. Besides, last time I corrected you guys I got a free upgrade on my cables.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Tom "V," Ron "S":

I am absolutely amazed seeing the incredible growth of your company (and for good reasons!) and amount of subwoofer designs you come up with, including your new "baby," the B4 (now I really want one!). My sincere congratulations and best wishes for your continuing success!

Now, if I may throw a 'lil curve at 'yer 'fellers -and mind you that I don't want to put you in a tight spot, so don't answer if you don't want to; I'll understand- how would a B4 stand up against to something like, say...the grossly-priced Wilson CX double-18" drivers subbass system for instance? I believe not only quite well but even surpass its performance capabilities as well. Thanks!

-THTS

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Thanks Frank.

If ever there was a sub to rival the 8 original CS subwoofers you have, it'd be the B4-Plus.

As for a Wilson comparison, I can only say that we would never shy from a head to head test by an independent reviewer. Something tells me Wilson might be less interested. You could add Krell and a few others. I suppose they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by getting into the ring with the likes of SVS.

If you know of any objective test results of the Wilson, I know Tom in R/D would like to see them.

The B4-Plus photo sample due in Colorado soon is earmarked for Dr. John Johnson's regimen of subwoofer torture tests; so you'll know we're not shrinking from the duty of peer review.

Stay tuned for that in a few weeks.

Ron

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Hi, Ron,
No, I don't know of any objective test results ever done of the Wilson subs, nor other such "high-end" audio sub-bass systems for that matter. Because of that I tend to have little faith in their claimed performance.
By contrast, you guys seem far more than eager to have yours tested even under extremely rigorous conditions (thus showing big cohonies! :D ), something that should go a long way with folks looking for and deciding on a suitable bass system. I know of no other loudspeaker manufacturer that does that!
Ron, I am serious when I say that I'd like to have a B4 incorporated in my system (4x4x4), so hopefully happens in the not too distance future.
Keep up the great work! Cheers... :)
-THTS

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I just watched the video interview presented by www.hometheaterhifi.com . I really enjoyed hearing the back story behind SVS. Also putting the name to the face. I believe what enjoyed the most was the hint about new full range speakers coming in the future. Having a 16-46CS Plus I have appreciated the value of the sub, and how you have lowered prices accordingly when you get better deals with suppliers. So I know and have confidence that those new speakers will be a great value and look forward to any news you might be able to share on these exciting new products.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Ron,
Just watched your video interview at the 2003 WCES in Vegas. Had I known SVS was going to be represented there, I would definitely have looked you guys up!
I was there on opening day and only for that day due to time constraints (my partners'), so we just concentrated our research within the confines of the Convention Center.
Where were you at?... :)
-THTS

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Nice interview, Ron, well done. Now I'm itching to work more ports into my projects. :)
It's be cool (well, ugly would be more like it) to see a comparison of the B4 with the Ariel SW12...aren't they around the same price point (B4 is cheaper I think)? Or how about that $35,000 Krell job with dual TC-15's.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Thanks,

I was a bit hung over (and worked 20 hours the previous day), dazzled by our first morning at CES, plus John Johnson caught me unawares ;^)

The real scream will be when Tom, Erik Kroner (e-commerce and shipping) and our long suffering CFO Jim Oberstadt all sit on a panel to take questions about running a web based OEM business: I tend to ramble, Tom tends to be way too honest, Erik reminds us what it was like to be young and ask questions no one else will... and Jim just keeps reminding us of the need to make a profit and stop having so much fun ;^)

I'll see if Dr. Johnson wants to do it again at CEDIA, it'd be a hoot I'm sure. 8^)

Even better yet will be his comments about the photo sample B4-Plus I'm working with in Colorado now. He's already resigned himself to having to come up with a whole host of new test procedures. This sub is going to take previous bench-marks and wad them up like so much copy paper.

Ron

Bill Law

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
Can you comment on how the B4 would compare to the REL Stentor III? or the Dual SS package.
In regards to 3 things
1. musicality (if there is such a thing)
2. integration with main speakers, how well it blends with a main speaker that goes down to 22Hz (REL Neutrik high-level connection)
3. Performance
I have a LARGE room (8300 cubic feet).
Thanks!;)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Frank, long time buddy.

Are you going to be at CEDIA this year? If I go, we're going to have to get together and have a good steak and catch up.

Michael,

I'm not sure how many PRs or in what mounting orientation it would have taken to match the 4-4" flared ports. 4 18" PRs should have the potential to work very well if proper care is taken in design.

Bill,

>>>Ron,
Can you comment on how the B4 would compare to the REL Stentor III? or the Dual SS package.
In regards to 3 things
1. musicality (if there is such a thing)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Hiya, Tom V!
I'll try attending the CEDIA show this year. If I do, you can count on eating the largest, most sweet and tender piece of steer available that side of Pecos!
Say, Tom...could you check the Wilson subwoofer thread in the high-end audio ($20+ systems) Forum at AVS? I think I drove some guy real nuts with my comments regarding the SVS 16/46 octet capable of doing much better than his $18,000+ sub-bass system wannabe, so you might be interested in what transpired. No rush and if you can't because you're busy, that's OK too; I understand.
Btw, did Ron mention that I am drooling over the prospective of acquiring one of 'em B-4s? Hope to do so in the not too distance future. What do you think...am I totally nuts or what? :D Cheers!...
-THTS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks