What's new

Coming, to a theater near you. (1 Viewer)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Lief
As far as ouput goes It would best dual tempests. The highest level I've heard someone reach with dual tempests is about 122db in room. If this thing really hits 130db (which really looks possible) it would subjectively be twice as loud at full output. The tempests are no slouch though.
Personally I have not went past 110db with my sub. Though it is fully capable to do so I am kind of hesitant when the outside doors vibrate:D Like Tom said this sub is for large rooms. I would still buy one if I could. Kinda like owning a fast car. Sure I'll never drive at 200miles per hour... But its nice to know the option is there;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There's something undeniably imposing about a wall of flared ports. Then again, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I don't think that the beneficial effect of such flares on noise/compression has been modelled effectively (although VD does mention an extra 2dB or so in the latest LDC)so the models are probably erring on the conservative side as far as output/airspeed. That notwithstanding, I'd have to think that you'd be above deafening levels before the pictured porting proved inadequate. The Ariel SW12 uses just one of them.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I agree with Jack;)
I have a blueprint 1503 which is using 1-6" port flared at both ends. In the sims it says I would be over the audible limit but I've had that thing up at 110db with no audible chuffing. Least until you put your hand over the port to feel the air rushing out.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Haris,

If you mean "can you exceed Dolby specified requirements for theater levels of bass/LFE"???

Yes.

Is this "too much"??

Well, we have a few credos around SVS:

"Everything in moderation... including moderation" (the converse of which is, "everything to excess").

Another that's taken hold (strangely, this has become more popular as some of us edge over the 40yr mark ;^)...

"Life is short, enjoy the sound."

In the end, "too much" will always be a very relative term. For some people, a "home theater in a box" with 8" bass module (we don't call them subwoofers), is more than adequate. For others, even dual CS-Ultras/SS subwoofers aren't too much. It all depends on your perspective, budget, and your room. Certainly with a room your size you don't need a B4-Plus; but if properly calibrated it wouldn't ever seem to be excessive I don't think. The fact it has even more capicity than you would ever use is not unlike an exotic sports car on public roads. Its capability is half the attraction.

Ron ("One's too many, and a hundred ain't enough") Stimpson

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
You people are all mesochists. lol. I'd bet there are some of you out there thinking how you could fit two of those things in your basement hahaha.

And i thought i was a bass-head. :-

BrianKR

Second Unit
I'd bet there are some of you out there thinking how you could fit two of those things in your basement hahaha.
I would buy a 2nd (although I would have to save for a few months to do so) for appearance sake more so then for additional performance. At least this is the excuse I am going to use to my wife. Do you think she will fall for it? :D

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Tom,

Just curious, you said the B4 is equivalent to 4 CS-Ultras. How many CS+ subwoofers is this equivalent to?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Joe,

In the context and configurations where the B4 would be approximately equal to four Ultra, it will be equal to approximately 5 CS+ subwoofers.

TV

BrianKR

Second Unit
Something tells me I should contact my insurance agent and ask him if they can give me "quake" coverage :)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
That's a whole lota sub coming at you brother. Sure would be fun but I think realistically it just might be a little to much if there is such a thing for me at this time. I think I might team up something lesser in your new line with what I have now.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
An almost portable IB sub, I wonder when SVS will come out with one where you cut a hole in the wall and a docking mount couples it to your home.:D .

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Here's my take on the port issue. First, I can understand how you might initially think underported. The CS+ subs have 3 3inch flared ports. That's over 21 sq. in. of area. This sub has effectively 1 4inch flared port for each driver. That's only 12.6 sq in. of area for the same driver.
But then we have to consider that the total porting area is 4 times that ... over twice the port area of a CS+ or CS Ultra. So imagine at what volume a pair of Pluses would start to chuff.
Still, I have to wonder about the adjustable tuning. With 2 ports blocked you're down to approximately the port area of a single CS+ for 4 woofers! This is where I'd have some realistic concerns about port noise. Imagine with 3 ports blocked - stuffing the power of 4 CS+ drivers and 2500 watts down the throat of a single 4 inch port ...
If anyone can make this work its Tom. And yet it does make you question his sanity :D
From a DIY perspective its hard to imagine the advantages of more 12 inch drivers over fewer 15's. How many people would choose a quad Shiva sub over a dual Tempest? But SVS is in the habit of using proprietary drivers and they've already got the 12's in hand.
I'm beginning to think Tom's mission is to make my 25-31PC original seem woefully inadequate. Looks like I finished my DIY sonotube just in time.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have dual tempests in a room that's 1000 cubic feet. IMO it isn't too much bass. Sure it hits reference level, but the extra headroom is always nice if you have the money.
After experiencing 130db of semi-clean bass in cars, I could see how reasonable it is getting this sub but then again I have just grown to love stereo subs. (So that means I would need two of them properly powered for my room) :D

BrianKR

Second Unit
SVS got the port plugs out to me today and I did a quick test with Toy Story II's opening scene. I hit a 115dB's w/2 ports closed and there was no noticeable port noise with me stand directly over top of the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks