What's new

3D Coming to 3-D Blu-ray January 21, 2014 from Twilight Time. (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
TonyD said:
If you put 3000 copies of the title in the cart it should lower to a total for the exact number of copies left. Just divide 29.95 by the total .
50 is the maximum you can order for any title.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Okay they may have changed that part of it. Previously you could do that and figure out how many ore left.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I watched the entire movie last night. Wow, is this a gorgeous looking 3D Blu Ray. Twilight Time sure did a nice job on it. It's an early contender for 3D Blu Ray of the year, I can tell you that. I'm hoping a lot more vintage 3D Blu Rays follow this year.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Grover Crisp and his team at Sony deserve all the credit for restoring this film. Other than occasional left/right sizing issues, they did a terrific job.

My only regret is they did not include the original Intermission card which had a custom design unique to this film. It occurs after Dan Riss leaves the bar.

Unfortunately, the eleven day myth keeps getting repeated. Please see this post: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/312058-meet-bob-furmanek-htf-golden-age-3-d-consultant/?p=4045407

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bob Furmanek said:
Grover Crisp and his team at Sony deserve all the credit for restoring this film. Other than occasional left/right sizing issues, they did a terrific job.

My only regret is they did not include the original Intermission card which had a custom design unique to this film. It occurs after Dan Riss leaves the bar.

Unfortunately, the eleven day myth keeps getting repeated. Please see this post: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/312058-meet-bob-furmanek-htf-golden-age-3-d-consultant/?p=4045407
Why they do that for such a short film? To me, it would take me out of the film.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Every Golden Age 3-D feature had an intermission, even the hour long ROBOT MONSTER.

The projectors and carbon arc lamp-houses could only handle about fifty minutes of film at that time.

When MITD was screened for the trades, the room only had 3000 foot reel capability so it was shown with two intermissions and the second reel went out of sync!

Robot Intermission.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bob Furmanek said:
Every Golden Age 3-D feature had an intermission, even the hour long ROBOT MONSTER.

The projectors and carbon arc lamp-houses could only handle about fifty minutes of film at that time.

When MITD was screened for the trades, the room only had 3000 foot reel capability so it was shown with two intermissions and the second reel went out of sync!

attachicon.gif
Robot Intermission.jpg
Thanks for the information. Like I said, I wouldn't have liked those intermissions.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Bob Furmanek said:

Guilty as charged, since I posted a review on my blog this morning. I will make the correction post haste.

I have to check this, but I believe my original source for this was Dan Symmes book Amazing 3-D. I realize I shouldn't use a 30 year out of date source like that, especially since it, like the Hayes book after it, has some known factual errors in it, but I guess it never occurred to me to cross check that tidbit. The Hayes book may be the source of the Them myth, but the Symmes book lists Silver Lode as being in 3D. I think the Symmes book also mentions the four day shoot for Robot Monster as well.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks, Todd. Yes, Dan's book has its fair share of mistakes as well.

ROBOT MONSTER was a 12 day shoot, if anyone is wondering.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Bought this for one simple reason: Edmond O'Brien! I haven't come across one of his films I didn't like and he tends to give an good performance. Also his films, at least in his peak years, tended to involve some good action-oriented set pieces that usually promised to deliver in entertainment even if the plot wasn't the greatest. His Paramount films tended to have more polish, but his Columbia efforts like this had their own scrappy charm.

This one wasn't an exception and lived up to my expectations. It's one of the few that doesn't have O'Brien on the right side of the law and also one of the few in which O'Brien isn't out for vengeance, though the latter point might be debatable. The plot is certainly an odd one--it kinda reminded me of Black Friday with its subject of brain surgery, and also of the noir-ish The Monster and the Girl in which the medical experiment was actually condoned and allowed by the penal system. The set pieces were fun, especially at the climax, and O'Brien naturally gave a good performance and had some good dialogue.

One part that I found interesting was during the second flashback with Blake escaping the cops, not only is the Hollywood sign visible in the background, it appears much of the chase happens on the rooftops of several sound stages in the Columbia studio lot.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I rented Man in the dark from 3d-blurayrental. The 3D was very clear and natural looking. Some of the pop-outs, like the surgical instruments, reminded me of Dr. Tongue's 3D House of Stewardesses from SCTV's Monster Chiller Horror Theatre (although they weren't really like that).

Monster Chiller Horror Theatre:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
RolandL said:
50 is the maximum you can order for any title.
One buyer can purchase 50? Isn't that encouraging scalping?
Todd J Moore said:
Guilty as charged, since I posted a review on my blog this morning. I will make the correction post haste.I have to check this, but I believe my original source for this was Dan Symmes book Amazing 3-D. I realize I shouldn't use a 30 year out of date source like that, especially since it, like the Hayes book after it, has some known factual errors in it, but I guess it never occurred to me to cross check that tidbit. The Hayes book may be the source of the Them myth, but the Symmes book lists Silver Lode as being in 3D. I think the Symmes book also mentions the four day shoot for Robot Monster as well.
What is the Them myth?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Bob Furmanek said:
Having now received the disc, it's even more disappointing that TT and their insert writer are to blame for perpetuating the myth with this release. Right there on the first page of the insert, Ms. Kirgo states it as supposed fact. So far, none of the inserts from TT have been anything more than "eh" to me. I really don't know why TT tout her writing and the inserts as much as they do, even from the very beginning of their releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks