What's new

3D Coming to 3-D Blu-ray January 21, 2014 from Twilight Time. (1 Viewer)

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
So I couldn't wait and watched this last night, projected on a 92" screen from a Epson 3020 projector. I have to admit I enjoyed the 3D more than the actual film itself. In other words, it's no House of Wax but it's still alot of fun. If you like "in your face" 3D effects (which I do), this movie will not disappoint. Fists, surgery tools, cigars, guns, etc. all come flying at you. Seemed like a solid transfer (although I am far from an expert). I saw very little if any crosstalk on my system. Exterior shots had great depth. Not saying interior shots didn't but whatever lenses were used for the film pretty much kept everything in the frame in focus (albeit soft at times) which gave the interiors a claustrophobic feel (small sets maybe?). Medium and long shots pretty much kept the entire frame in focus but close-ups did not - or at least this is my recollection the morning after. I hadn't noticed this on House of Wax or Dial M For Murder - so it seemed to stand out in this film but it may be common and something I've overlooked in other 3D and 2D films. All in all, I think it was a great release and I hope Twilight Time continues to mine Columbia's 3D vaults and that other studios relese more of these gems. I'll buy them all!
BTW - just to note that when I first started playing the disc, there was a weird green line across the bottom of the screen (almost looked like I had to adjust the tracking from the old VHS days). Thought I had a defective disc but I started the 2D version then restarted the 3D version and it was gone. Probably was just my system.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Just finished it, and I agree that I wish the story had more to it than a generic crime thriller, whether in plotting or characters. Still, glad to have it as another 50s 3D title to show people who may be curious about that era. I enjoy the Cinerama releases a bit more but for principally the same reason - a slice of unique filmmaking from a bygone era.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Watched this last night....and there ARE better movies....but the 3D was certainly real fun!!..As with others, i hope there are many more like this to be released. My wife and i have a very nice time watching.....Goes by real fast....only about and hour and 10 minutes. Wish it were a bit longer to enjoy the 3D.

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
I had seen it before flat so knew the plot, and agree it's far from the best film noir you'll ever see, but I thought the transfer and 3D were terrific on this release! I love vintage films and 3D, so I found it totally satisfying.

I did note 2 or 3 flat scenes about 20 minutes in, like the ones in HOUSE OF WAX?
I was really struck by the depth on things like heads in close-ups - I swear some of them seemed a foot deep with multiple planes from nose to back.
I had read the 3D on this title was inferior due its rush producton, but I thought it actually seemed as good as CREATURE, honestly maybe a bit better as we know they "pulled in" CREATURE for this home release. I'd say that's NOT the case on MAN.

99% ghost free on my Epson 5020, sharp and clear. If you love 50's 3D and want to see more released, buy this and support TT!
If they would release the rest of the Columbias looking this good I'd be thrilled.

I'll be curious to hear Bob F.'s take on this, and of course I'm looking forward to his release this year.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I'll be watching this probably next weekend. I saw it in 3D at the Film Forum ten years ago. As I remember, it's not a great film, but it is amusing and there's a decent amount of pop-out, which is always fun.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Greatly enjoyed it...but had a strange problem with the extras ..looking at the Twilight Time releases..it stuck on the 5th page and froze

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Short and sweet review.

The plot is pretty generic, but the cinematography was pretty good for a such a cheap B-movie. Excellent shots of the carnival, roller coasters, roof top chases, creepy dream sequences, and pretty decent acting from the cast despite a run-of-the-mill script.

Is it worth 35 bucks? Yes, if you like film noir. Yes if you like 3D. Must buy if you like both. Otherwise, probably not. Luckily for me, I like both!

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
This is pretty interesting...from a screening in Seattle last year and it mentions Inferno which is the movie I'd most like to see released featuring Robert Ryan and directed by Roy Ward Baker (Avengers, Vault of Horror, Randall and Hopkirk Deceased)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
phillyrobt said:
This is pretty interesting...from a screening in Seattle last year and it mentions Inferno which is the movie I'd most like to see released featuring Robert Ryan and directed by Roy Ward Baker (Avengers, Vault of Horror, Randall and Hopkirk Deceased)
I was at that double-feature last year; loved both MAN IN THE DARK and INFERNO for different reasons. MAN IN THE DARK is a hokey but extremely enjoyable noir with the best 3D I've ever seen, incredible depth and fabulous pop-out moments galore; INFERNO is an excellent and even credibly realistic color noir with subtle but quietly effective use of 3D, mainly for depth. I just received and watched MAN, an excellent Blu-ray which replicates the theatrical experience I had as much as possible. Astounding job. I dearly hope a 3D Blu of INFERNO is released at some point!

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
I see the reviewer at another well known blu ray review site says that this has survived the transition from anaglyph.

Have they not read the myth section in Bob furmanek's website?

MikeDE

Second Unit
I got a big kick out of this movie. As long as they put these old 3D films out, I'll buy them.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Another review mentions that this is one of only 2 3-d film noirs but doesn't name the other. There are at least 3 others...all which I hope are released...The Glass Web, Second Chance and I, The Jury.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Is there anyplace to see how many copies are sold? I know when they get low, Screen Archives does mention it. I'm hoping this title sells out so we might see more 3D titles released.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
RolandL said:
Is there anyplace to see how many copies are sold? I know when they get low, Screen Archives does mention it. I'm hoping this title sells out so we might see more 3D titles released.
If you put 3000 copies of the title in the cart it should lower to a total for the exact number of copies left. Just divide 29.95 by the total .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks