Coming Soon From Olive Films

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MisterLime, May 26, 2011.

1. rdimucci

rdimucci Stunt Coordinator

Robert DiMucci
    I recently noticed that Olive Films, which heretofore had pretty much been exclusively releasing catalog films from first the Paramount catalog and then the Paramount-owned Republic library, has begun releasing some of the MGM/UA catalog.

They have issued Blu-rays of these AIP films:

BEACH BLANKET BINGO
    COFFY
    COOLEY HIGH
    FOXY BROWN
    FRIDAY FOSTER
    MUSCLE BEACH PARTY
    PSYCH-OUT
    ROAD TO HONG KONG
    THE THING WITH TWO HEADS

and from UA they've issued:

ALICE'S RESTAURANT
    CAVEMAN
    HAMMER
    A HOLE IN THE HEAD
    HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE
    IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE
    KISS ME, STUPID
    NED KELLY
    THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S
    PORK CHOP HILL
    TEACHERS
    WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY?

and from Orion they've issued:

BEST SELLER
    BLUE SKY
    LITTLE MAN TATE
    WITHOUT A CLUE

and from Cannon they've issued:

ALLAN QUATERMAIN AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD
    FIREWALKER

and they have plans to issue BLACK CAESAR and SLAUGHTER on September 22nd. Plus they've issued titles from other MGM-held companies such as Filmways, the Samuel Goldwyn Company, and Trans World Entertainment.

Apparently, MGM, which also has deals with Shout/Scream Factory, Kino-Lorber, and Twilight Time, cannot license these things fast enough. Good times for disc lovers.

[​IMG]

2. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

i thought they were not releasing breakthrough with richard burton or fighter attack with sterling hayden due to the poor film elements each picture had.

3. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    That's why it's in the "not releasing" section. :)

4. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Theyve had a deal with MGM since earlier this year. Pretty much the stuff Shout, Kino, Criterion and TT passed on :) Actually I heard Kino wanted *IT* but Olive outbid them or something

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

My beef with Olive is that, unlike Kino and Shout, they charge a hefty premium for the barest-bones discs around— even if extras have been included in previous domestic issues of the film, they almost never make it to Olive's discs. I get that they're not going to get all of the Arrow Films extras for titles like COFFY or FOXY BROWN, but it looks very unlikely that we'll get the Larry Cohen commentary from the BLACK CAESAR DVD. And the list is still $29.99 for a single title— no double-bills of SLAUGHTER/SLAUGHTER'S BIG RIP-OFF! here. It's a bummer Shout didn't put out a decidated Blaxploitation line for MGM, Fox and Universal titles they own— the BLACULA/SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM disc is fantastic.

atfree likes this.
  6. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Yes, the MGM deal is pretty old news. It's been known at least since January.

Olive Films discs often drop to $19.99 by the time they are actually released on Amazon. For some reason they take a while, but it does happen eventually. King of the Gypsies finally dropped a mere week before the release date.

Kino doesn't do double bills either--note the two separate discs for The Land/People That Time Forgot. Shout does, though. Sadly they don't get much of this sort of "blaxploitation" catalog. Blacula was a happy exception. Olive seemed to get the lion's share of the black/blaxploitation 70s films.

7. rdimucci

rdimucci Stunt Coordinator

Robert DiMucci
    Doesn't seem to have been mentioned in this thread.

8. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    You got a point there. This thread became rather inactive once MisterLime left Olive as their representative and became the rep at Kino shortly afterward. Most Olive discussion shifted to the blu-ray forum since then.

9. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

i saw firewalker with chuck norris at walmart for $7.50.

10. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Misterlime left when Frank left Olive for Kino. I asked Olive again about Beware My Lovely but this time they responded and kind of said nothing *i cant tell you anything* I kind of wish they would say its in the works or if just isnt happening. They also sent me a link to subscribe to their newsletter :)

11. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Still awaiting word on the 13th and final season of King of he Hill to be released by the year's end by this company on the DVD format.