Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Steigman said:
Amazon has it for Jan. 2014 as well. Im certain its been pushed back , just some websites are faster than others with the updating :)
Maybe, as Amazon and ImportCDs are the two retailers I alluded to with my original question about the release date.
Have Young at Heart and Cry Danger been rescheduled for January as a couple of retailers have shown a 01-21-2014 release date?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes. As Young at Heart is an eagerly awaited title for myself, I would be greatly interested in any update from Mr. Lime (who seems so intimately familiar with the goings-on at Olive).

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
A little insight from Eddie Muller from Black Alley Noir Forum:
This is indeed a terrific lineup of releases. I wanted to provide some background regarding the titles that the Film Noir Foundation restored in 35mm. The Blu_Ray of CRY DANGER, releasing Oct 15, was made from the FNF-funded restoration done by UCLA Film and Television Archive (supervised by the late, great Nancy Mysel), with a huge thank you to Turner Classic Movies for funding the digital transfer of the film that Olive used. TCM made the transfer for my broadcast screening of the film on January 17, 2013 and apparently allowed use of it free of charge. The same will not be the case with TRY AND GET ME, it seems. Olive is reluctant to pay for a digital transfer given that Paramount will at some point make a 2K preservation scan of the original negative (which was also used as the basis of the 35mm restoration, augmented by other materials where necessary), which it then has the option of using for the eventual DVD/Blu-Ray release. While I'm happy that Paramount is relentlessly preserving all its negatives in what they believe is the best and most economical fashion, it's more than a little disappointing that Olive will not use the restoration to produce the final digital product—especially given that 2K scans of the negatives do nothing to restore and enhance sound quality—something in which as much of two-thirds of a restoration budget is typically invested. In other news, if you hadn't heard, the FNF is underway on its long-awaited 35mm restoration of TOO LATE FOR TEARS, which—if all goes according to plan—will have its grand re-premiere at NOIR CITY 12 in San Francisco, most likely on January 25, 2014.

Disappointed that Olive aren't using Film Noir Foundation restoration of future release of TRY AND GET ME.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
GregoryMesh said:

Disappointed that Olive aren't using Film Noir Foundation restoration of future release of TRY AND GET ME.
Disappointed that Paramount seems to be using 2k. 4k is the bare minimum that should be used on a neg scan.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
GregoryMesh said:

First of all, Mr. Muller is incorrect. Olive Films paid for the material they used for their release of CRY DANGER. Second, nothing has been decides regarding TRY AND GET ME, so please stop posting erroneous information.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mike Frezon said:
Yes. As Young at Heart is an eagerly awaited title for myself, I would be greatly interested in any update from Mr. Lime (who seems so intimately familiar with the goings-on at Olive).
Yes, the dates for THE BAMBOO SAUCER, BANG BANG YOU'RE DEAD, CRY DANGER and YOUNG AT HEART were changed. They're all being released in January of 2014.

WITCHBOARD 2 will still be released in October.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
MisterLime said:
Yes, the dates for THE BAMBOO SAUCER, BANG BANG YOU'RE DEAD, CRY DANGER and YOUNG AT HEART were changed. They're all being released in January of 2014.
Bummer. But thanks for the heads up.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
So does this mean Amityville and Witchboard 2 are it for Oct and nothing new for Nov and Dec ? Or are there announcements for new titles in Nov and Dec coming ?

Richard M S

Screenwriter
It has been years since I watched it but didn't YOUNG AT HEART have a Christmas setting? I am glad it is being release but too bad about it being delayed until January.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Richard M S said:
It has been years since I watched it but didn't YOUNG AT HEART have a Christmas setting? I am glad it is being release but too bad about it being delayed until January.
I don't believe it did as an integral part of the film plot.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Mike*HTF said:
Speaking of William Powell (post 2151 above), unless I'm mistaken "The Senator Was Indiscreet" was a Republic release.
Will this be coming via Olive?
That's a good question, because it is one my most-wanted Republic titles. I have a pre-recorded Beta tape of it, but as I recall it is missing some footage. Maybe somebody has the VHS tape and can tell us if it is complete.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming in November From Olive Films - Just in time for the Holidays!

BONUS MATERIAL
THE LOOK OF LOVE: An Essay by Film Critic R. Emmet Sweeney

Attachments

• Bells.jpg
    Bells.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 40

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MisterLime said:
Coming in November From Olive Films - Just in time for the Holidays!

BONUS MATERIAL
THE LOOK OF LOVE: An Essay by Film Critic R. Emmet Sweeney
Time to Dial "O".

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Mr. Lime, now that Olive has released a number of additional Noir titles, any chance for a Film Noir vol. 2 box?

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
JoeDoakes said:
Mr. Lime, now that Olive has released a number of additional Noir titles, any chance for a Film Noir vol. 2 box?
No set dates for a second FN boxed set - The following Noir titles will be released for the first time on DVD and BLU --- Ida Lupino and Robert Ryan in BEWARE, MY LOVELY - directed by Harry Horner --- James Mason and Barbara Bel Geddes in CAUGHT - directed by Max Ophuls --- Mala Powers & Tod Andrews in OUTRAGE - directed by Ida Lupino --- Frank Lovejoy and Kathleen Ryan in TRY AND GET ME - directed by Cy Endfield --- Susan Hayward and Robert Cummings in THE LOST MOMENT - directed by Martin Gabel --- Claudette Colbert and Don Ameche in SLEEP, MY LOVE - directed by Douglas Sirk --- Dick Powell and Rhonda Fleming in CRY DANGER - directed by Robert Parrish --- and the BLU release of NO MAN OF HER OWN, starring Barbara Stanwyck and John Lund - directed by Mitchell Leisen - MORE TITLES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just hope that's the January slate right there ! :) I am so eager to finally get Beware My Lovely and Sleep My Love !

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
David Steigman said:
I just hope that's the January slate right there ! :) I am so eager to finally get Beware My Lovely and Sleep My Love !
Sleep, My Love sooner, Beware, My Lovely later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks