What's new

Comic Book Movies: Hollywood's New Westerns (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Some "Watchmen" news. AICN is reporting that WB has officially offered the roles of Night Owl, Dr. Manhattan, and Ozymandias to Patrick Wilson, Keanu Reeves, and Jude Law respectively.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Interesting names. I might've switched Wilson and Law, but those work. Keanu is an odd choice for Manhattan, but his esoteric beauty might help him. He should be good at the mumbo jumbo by now :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Keanu Reeves as Dr Manhattan????? I guess theyll be having someone else dub his voice. Dont like this choice at all.

I havent read Watchmen in so long, isnt Wilson too young for Nite Owl?

Jude Law - can definitely see that.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Excellent post, Phil, particularly your thoughts on how early in we are in the comic-book genre. Here's hoping some serious directors play with the genre's form and create some great original stuff. We've had one or two great entries (History of Violence- comic as political B-movie, and Nolan's Batman- comic as straight drama). The problem I see with this direction, though, is most comic-book pictures cost way more than most westerns. The more expensive a movie is, the less risks it can take (again, with one or two glorious exceptions). However, the genre MUST evolve, or it will die. The public may only be able to take creativity in small doses, but they do take it.

As for the person who said comic book movies are successful because people like comic books, I'd have to disagree to a point. Fanboy appeal is only a part of this equation. I've spoken with many, many, many people who love these films, but have no interest whatsoever in taking the time to read the comics themselves.

Regards,
Nathan

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I never really imagined Ozy being built. His greatest asset is his mind. I think he looks the part.

Jason

MikeRS

Screenwriter
I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Manhattan is a 100 percent CG creation (with Keanu as reference a la Bill Nighy/Andy Serkis)

John Doran

Screenwriter
ozymandias was an olympic-level athlete, no? and he certainly looks built in the comic...

i dunno - my memories may be deceiving me - it's been a while since i've looked at the watchmen.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Theyll prob put Law on a weight lifting/exercise program anyway should be get the part.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, someone once asked Alan Moore who he'd cast and he suggested Robert Redford as Ozymandias and Yul Brynner's head CGI'd onto Arnold Schwarzenegger's body for Dr. Manhattan.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Looks like WB will be making a live-action "Teen Titans" movie. Although its is unknown which characters will ultimately be used, Nightwing will be among them. I think its safe to assume that Cyborg and Beastboy will also be used in the movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...dd7273f8d79b81

I found it interesting that producer (and Oscar winning scribe) Akiva Goldsman promised that the tone of the movie will be similar to that of "Batman Begins", "Superman Returns", and "Watchmen".

This could end up being a summer 2009 release if all goes well getting a script together.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I find it hard to take seriously that the man who wrote "Batman & Robin" wants the film to be along the lines of "Batman Begins" Or "Superman Returns." Goldsman, despite an Oscar win, doesn't have a great track record.

As for comic book movies in general, it seems to me that one reason every movie these days seems to be a sequel, a remake or from a comic book is because the studios only want to support market-tested brand names. Forget about finding an audience for a movie, if one doesn't exist already, it's not getting made. Similar thinking has lead to radio never playing new music.

Rocky F

Second Unit
Wow, great thread! I can't believe it took me so long to come across it. A have just a few random thoughts to add.

First, a confession, I've been hearing for over 20 years now how Watchmen is the best comic book ever, yet I've never read it! I will probably pick up a copy before the movie comes out.

Second, I have thought a lot about the difference of a "superhero" movie vs. the "comic book adaptation." While it's true that there is a HUGE overlap between the two, they are two different things. I think one reason so many people just lump them together is the fact that comic books are the only form of popular entertainment that has such a dominant genre. Novels, movie, TV shows, etc. all have dramas, comedies, mysteries, sci-fi, horror, etc. and so do comics, but superheroes are so dominant that the average non-comic reading person ignores all the other genres in comics.

Lastly, while a Teen Titans movie could be great, I am also scared about Akiva Goldsman's involvement. Yeah, he's now an "Oscar-winning screenwriter" but there is no statute of limitations on Batman & Robin. He can write all the biographical dramas he wants, but he has no business being allowed anywhere near any more superhero movies.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I'm trying to figure what those three films have in common and the only thing I can come up with is that they portray heroism and being super as a joyless, stultifying burden (and I'm iffy on that because I think Batman is actually a more fun movie than it's often given credit for).

Well, actually there is one thing and that's that they're all new. Good to know that Goldsman is just trying to be trendy :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I guess he's suggesting that it will be serious and not cheesy. That probably would be an improvement over the animated series, which is sometimes too silly for its own good.

BTW, he seems to be just producing, not writing this. Mark Verheiden (Battlestar Galactica) is writing.

Jason

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Which is a thoroughly mixed bag, just looking at his recent comics work: A crossover-plagued year of Superman and a nigh-incomprehensible run on Superman/Batman.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
This has turned into a sort of horse race as producers are trying to get their respective "team" movie to the screen first. "The Avengers", "Justice League", and "Teen Titans" are all looking to fill that void left by the X-Men series.

With "Teen Titans" already in the scripting phase, don't be surprised if there is more movement on both 'Avengers' and "Justice League" as a result.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Mark Verheiden confirmed in his blog that Nightwing is the main character in the "Teen Titans" script, but wouldn't name any of the other Titans that will be appearing in the movie. This one is a lot farther along than what was initially reported. A director will soon be named (the studio is already making offers) and casting will commence shortly after.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks