What's new

Comic Book Movies: Hollywood's New Westerns (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I find it curious that most seem to attribute the recent resurgence of the genre to Blade, instead of X-Men. I didn't know Blade was a adapted from a comic book when I saw it, nor do I think the majority of the public is aware of that fact even today. X-Men however brought a fun superheroes flick back to the screen and wet the public's appetite for more of the same. I just don't see anything associating Blade with the genre outside of these boards.

More, I am the only one who draws a sharp line between comic book movies and superhero flicks? I think a solid distinction should be made between the two as far as the public at large (and consequently box office) is concerned.

Comic books, in general, are the province of geeks (oh quit it, you know I am right). The appeal of superheroes is more universal. Paradoxically, little (nothing) about Road to Perdition gives away it's origins, highlighting the difficulty in defining the "comic book film" as genre this medium, whereas the majority of superhero flicks can be confined to a handful of easily discernable characteristics.

--
H

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea Ghost World and Road To Perdition are examples of films people wouldnt think were adapted from "comic books".

I think HBO also has a series in development based on a independent comic book as well.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Aaaargh. Re-reading the above, I realize I wasn't very clear. My point, expressed succinctly and with (hopefully) more clarity: I disagree with the premise of this thread so far as comic book adaptations in general are concerned.

At no point from the creative end to the consumer end do movies like Men in Black, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Mask, Road to Perdition or Ghost World get associated with the likes of Superman, Batman or Spiderman. More, the films in the former list do not get spontaneously associated with each other, because the one thing they have in common is the medium of the source material. That alone is not enough to coalesce them into a genre in another medium (film).

I think the Superhero flick is the one establishing itself as a new genre, for reasons that I hope are obvious from the above.

I hope this makes more sense.

--
H

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just to confuse things more:

Terry's "comic book movies" is mainly referring to films featuring characters (in costumes) with powers. The other stories, made into films, from comic books are more from the graphic novel side of comic books (Ghost World, Road to Perdition). The general public gets "comic book movie" to mean films featuring super-powered characters, while other films based on graphic novels don't really become slotted into the super-powered characters genre by the general public.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I grew up during what I would call the comic book "revitalization" (late 80s/earlys 90s) when guys like Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, etc. were making their mark.

I think there always was a demand for these heroes to be on the big screen, the lack of CGI and studio attitudes back then is what kept it from exploding.

I think now superhero movies are just making up for lost time -- particularily the Marvel characters, which during the 70s/80s/early-mid 90s really got shafted to be honest.

For people who were in the 14-35 year old demographic ... we all grew up reading the X-Men comics for instance, there was a huge pent up demand to see these characters on screen. In Spider-Man's case you're talking about several decades worth.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
While movies like "The Matrix", "The Incredibles", and "Unbreakable" aren't based on any particular comic book title, all are still considered to be "comic book movies".

Yes, most people only associate comic book with anything having to do with special powers and costumes, while the graphic novel origins of "Ghost World", "Road to Perdition", and "A History of Violence" are largely unknown by the public.

My point is that to most studio execs, anything that comes from a comic and/or graphic novel has a shot at being a big money movie. The point of this thread was from the point of view of the studio exec.

These cats go through tons of comics searching for that next "big thing". Well, actually they pay a bunch of people to go through the various material out there.

As far as the studios are concerned, comic flicks are this generation's westerns. Hence why they are playing up the comic origins of every movie they can nowadays.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I don't think the studios should really take too much credit though.

The demand was already there, it was just a matter of the technology catching up to make some of these films possible and studios finally taking them seriously enough.

The other thing is I think we live in a society now where it's OK to continue to enjoy things you did as a kid as you get older. Back in the day, it was probably considered crazy to keep playing video games into your 20s and even 30s ... today, no one really bats an eye lash at that. Same thing with comic book characters ... these characters are "classic" characters for a lot of people, so naturally seeing them on the big screen generates tremendous interest.

Batman and Spider-Man and characters like that I think have effectively crossed over from just being "comic book heroes" to being full blown mythological/cultural icons. In the past that would've been Robin Hood or King Arthur, but now its coming from the comic book relam. Even though the movie studios were still clueless, when I was growing up me and all my friends obsessed over Marvel trading cards and learning the origins/back stories of each and every character. People know these characters inside out, so part of the fun in watching the movie is they want to see how that translates to the movie medium.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I can understand that view, but it is notable that it was Marvel's first movie success after years of mediocraty (like Dolph Lungren's Punisher movie) and probably was able to get X-Men greenlighted in the first place.

Jason

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

What I find interesting is that one thing we're seeing more and more is aspiring screenwriters using comics as another gateway into Hollywood. Basically, if you're not having luck selling a script, get yourself a halfway-decent artist to help you adapt it into a comic and then sell that to the studios. I've seen a few press releases about projects, like the upcoming "action/adventure" revival of Sherlock Holmes, that claim to be based on comics that have never actually been published through the direct market, but assuming the film is produced the comics will presumably be published as OGN tie-ins.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Andy, you sir have hit the nail on the head.

Studio execs consider most anything even loosely associated with a comic book to be a potential cash cow.

Look at the success of "Heroes" on NBC. No its not based on an actual comic, but it is considered a "comic book show". The show's massive (and unexpected) popularity is further indication to the studios that they should get their hands on as many comic book/graphic novel properties as they can.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I think the well is starting to run a little dry now though.

The Hulk "reboot" probably could work. Spawn should also get some consideration for a "reboot" too. Maybe Aquaman with James Cameron directing could work too ;) But most of the big gun superhero franchises I think have been done.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Cameron and Green Lantern. I've been saying that forever. GOLD.

I'm surprised Warner hasn't made a run at The Dark Knight Returns as a real production. With Miller's name and the recent popularity, it could be a very interesting experiment. Two great tastes that taste great together. I understand they don't want to muddy the waters with their current Batman franchise, but that's a marketing challenge. Whole different cast, different format, different director, etc. Any thoughts on that?

If they could get a chunk of the energy and power of TDKR onto screens, well it would be something to REALLY see.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"The Dark Knight Returns" is one of those "ace in the hole" projects at WB. They want to first re-establish the dominance of the Batman franchise on the big screen and when this new series is on the wane some years down the line, WB will then look to translate DKR to the big screen.

"The Dark Knight Returns" and "Batman vs. Superman" (aka "World's Finest") are two projects that WB will one day make, but not in the foreseeable future. WB has also been toying the idea of one day doing a "Batman Beyond" feature series, as well as the often talked about "Justice League" movie to ultimately lead to a big screen treatment of "Kingdom Come".

WB has big plans for their comic book franchises, but they are taking just one movie at a time. Its amazing how the success of "Batman Begins" opened up all these other potentially huge superhero franchises. B&R nearly killed WB's desire to invest in a big budget comic book movie (B&R's crash and burn was also one of the reasons that the studio had such a nightmare trying to get the Superman reboot off the ground), but BB really got the ball rolling on these other properties at WB.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Why not talk about the one that he's actually attached to: Battle Angel Alita. Sure, it isn't the traditional Super Hero movie, but it fits a lot of trappings of the genre.

Jason

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I think comic book fans sometimes think that movies can be like comics in that their favourite characters can appear in multiple movies and they'll all be successful. I don't agree with that at all. There is NO way that a "Dark Knight Returns" movie should be made while the current "Batman" series is out. Two Batman movies at the same time? It's called over-saturation. If "The Dark Knight Returns" should ever be made, it should be made in 20 years with Christian Bale as a continuation of this series. Or if before then, an animated movie. Just as I believe that Batman and Superman should never be in a "Justice League" movie UNTIL their own franchises are finished but NOT at the same time. It loses their mystique and magic and anticipation of their own single film.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I think it'd be awesome if Nolan finished his trilogy in the next couple of years and came back 10-15 years later and did The Dark Knight Returns with the current cast. That's looking way far into the future, but it'd be cool.

John Doran

Screenwriter
but batman and superman together are different from batman and superman apart...

for my money, theirs is the most compelling friendship in all of comicdom, and i would dearly love to see it explored on the silver screen. as long as jeph loeb wrote the screenplay.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The Rock as Captain Marvel in "Shazam!"? Honestly, I think that's inspired casting if it turns out to be the case. The Rock often ends up being the best things in the movies he's in. I think the guy has the potential to be this era's biggest action star.

I'm hoping that a certain old Hollywood saying is true, that every director has a least one (or two) great movie(s) in him (or her). C'mon Peter Segal, deliver the goods with this one.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Looks like there's movement on Universal's upcoming "Namor: The Sub-Mariner". Director Jonathan Mostow, who also wrote the screenplay, is beginning the casting process. Filming is slated to begin sometime next year (either a spring or summer shoot) for a 2009 launch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks