What's new

Come on HTF junkies, how great is The Abyss:SE. AWESOME! (1 Viewer)

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I just got this DVD and you all are so right: the director's cut is a totally different movie and much better! I watched the theatrical cut a couple days ago and just watched the director's. It makes me wonder, "How can studios butcher movies so much just to save some time?" I'm really glad I have this DVD. I probably would have never seen this excellent film without this board. The cinematography and audio were great!

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
As it has been mentioned several times here before, both versions are director’s cut and the studio never butchered the movie. Many people prefer the original theatrical cut and even Cameron acknowledges that. For me the original cut is a masterpiece and the special edition is a very typical average Hollywood movie like Independence Day. FOR ME the special edition falls into an over-explanatory, giving-obvious-lessens and cheap sentimental movie. FOR ME especially the ending of the special edition is a disaster that ruins everything.

The original version 10 out of 10.

The special edition 6 out of 10.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I like both versions of the movie and I'm glad that I have the option of watching both on the DVD.

I engaged in conversation about this film with someone at a video store once and he insisted that Cameron intentionally butchered this film to spite the movie studio. I don't believe him, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the real story behind his battle with the studio.

Users who are viewing this thread