What's new

Come on HTF junkies, how great is The Abyss:SE. AWESOME! (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry but last night I was sick after coming home from work (open to 3:30, 3 days in a row, but this happened Saturday, so I had worked 2 days.) I was sick, ok, then I went to lay down after talking to my best friend. I decided to watch The Abyss because my brother was at work (I watched the theatrical version, I thought I couldn't watch the 3 hr. SE version). So after "watching" the first 2 quarters of Saturdays' special "Monday Night Fo..." I popped it in. Man, "I was blown away" (as many man say). Pretty cool menus, as I only viewed the first disc. The audio sure as hell kept me awake because I had it very loud, to notice the reknown bass. I was up the entire time.

Pretty weird that "Lizie" was the sister of Al P. in Scarface, she looked fairly familiar, but thought it couldn't be because of her looking youth.

awesome movie..

-Bert

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I'll be the first to say it. The director's cut is like a whole different movie.

Travis D

Second Unit
Yeah, later on you can watch the extended version and chances are you'll never watch the aborted "Theatrical version" ever again.

Sam Graves

Stunt Coordinator
I wish that the film was anamorphically enhanced on the DVD. This would have been a purchase instead of a rental for me. However, since this one can be had for $19.99 now, it's a no-brainer. The movie I saw in the theater pales in comparison to the director's cut.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Count me in as a huge fan of this film! I can only agree that the director's cut is much better than theatrical version. And yes you're right, the DVD is fantastic, only drawback is that it's not anamorphic, but it's still a great transfer.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I have never seen the original cut but having seen the extended cut I can safely safe that this movie is great. Also a nice disc with some great extras.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Man, I just watched both documentaries on the 2nd CD of The Abyss: SE.

Man, what effort and work went on to make this film is so inspiring. It makes me think (as most movies do) of what all those people do now, are they still actors/actresses or do they have "real" jobs? Is Tank A and B still in South Carolina?

I was suprised at the end of the 59 minute documentary how lots of the cast members cussed...

What an unbelievable movie.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's a flawed but fun title, but, as Sam says, this disc would have been much better had it been 16:9-enhanced.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I too liked the extended version but the extras were really cool on this two disc set, not to mention all the hidden features that contained so much information that I still have not got through it all.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
The lack of anamorphic encoding is the only thing that kept me from buying this really great movie.
FOX *hint hint* ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The transfer is high-res enough to "look" anamorphic on a TV.

I zoomed the image to simulate what it would like if it were anamorphic and it still looked crisp.

This is probably the only non-anamorphic transfer that I can say looks good enough to be anamorphic.

You technically don't lose any resolution compared to a 1.33:1 film because the movie was filmed in Super-35.

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
darn...another great movie I still have yet to buy. I wish I had some money to feed this DVD addiction. Sounds like you're having fun with the movie Bert...your neighbor didn't complain did she?

Greg Black

Second Unit
I believe that is a misprint on the cover. The disc is not anamorphic.

I remember there being a big outrage on various internet forums because of that piece of misinformation. I'm surprised Fox never corrected it for any subsequent printings of the cover.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I love the abyss movie and the dvd. its great. i both the theatre and se in the theatre. the main menu on the abyss is enhance for widescreen.. but not the movie.

JACOB

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Do you mean it holds the ratio of 2.35:1? We're talking about it being enhanced for 16:9 televisions.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
My guess here is that this guy has a newer DVD player (maybe a Christmas present?) and may not be aware that it's progressive scan. The Abyss DVD has progressive flags that scale the picture... and the transfer is better than a lot of anamorphic titles I have, really nice.

Just a guess, but let's be nice to a newbie.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I will back up Neil's post in that once you watch the Directors Cut, you sit and wonder how you ever enjoyed the Theatrical Cut. You simply cannot go back and "un-see" the differences the deleted scenes made.

Bruce

Sundar Prasad

Stunt Coordinator
The Malata upscales non-anamorphic DVDs to a pseudo-anamorphic version so that they display correctly on 16:9 TV's without having to change aspect ratios on the TV. This is the reason for the confusion. Since the Abyss is flagged properly, the Malata does a perfect upscaling of the content (just like the Panasonic RP91 does).

So - no dice, The Abyss continues to be a non-anamorphic title, albeit a very well mastered one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks