Come hither networking gurus! :-)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jereme D, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

Jan 29, 2002
    I changed the name of my PC, and suddenly, I can't connect to it with my laptop or other PC's.

I've tried connecting a few different ways.

- My Computer -> Map Network Drive was the first.
    - Using \computerfolder in the address field in the Network area in W2k.
    - I've tried using the IP of the 98 PC
    - I tried VPN in the Network area on the W2K PC.

I tried pinging each computer. I can ping the W2K PC from the 98, but not the 98 from W2K. However, I can see the 98 PC in My Network Places on the 2K machine.

It knows the computer is there, but cannot connect to it. I always get the error "\computer is not accessible. The network path was not found".

I'm only trying to connect the W2K machine to the 98, if that makes any difference.

What's so frustrating is that it was working perfectly before. The ONLY configuration that changed was me changing the network name of the 98 PC. But, even changing it back to it's original name doesn't solve the problem.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?
  2. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Sep 23, 2002
    Did you only change the name of the computer?
    Make sure you didn't change the Workgroup name or the Domain name (depending on what type of network you're set to).

Also, check the IPs of each machine, set them so both have identical #s in the first 3 sets. Verify Subdomain is the same.

If you can see the 98 box from the win2k, I'd check the Workgroup/Domain names first. Sounds like you have might have changed that by accident.