What's new

Comcast Cable box setup question (1 Viewer)

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
I just got Comcast Digital Cable in my home. I was wondering on the setup for the type of aspect ratio, what should I setup with?
720P or 1080i ???

Thanks much,
Tony

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

1080i and 720p are resolutions and scan rates, not aspect ratios. As said above, you should set it up for whatever your set supports natively. List your set and we can give you some hints. You should set your box's (if it is a Motorola) "4:3 override" to 480i or 480p so that anything broadcast in SD will display in 480i/p and not be upconverted. This will allow you to use the stretch/4:3 modes of your TV instead of the box. Often the stretch on the box just displays in "Full" (uniform stretch) whereas the TV modes offer more alternatives.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I set my 4:3 override to 1080i to solve a problem particular to my Toshiba 56H80 TV. Whenever I would change channels from an HD channel to a non-HD one, my TV would briefly display wavy colored lines as it changed its scan rate/resolution from 1080i to 480i/p (I tried both). This caused my TV's convergence to get thrown off. Setting the Motorola box to output everything at 1080i solved this problem.

I couldn't figure out for the longest time why my TV's convergence was continually drifting. I was adjusting convergence every couple of days before discovering the cause of the problem. This may not happen with other HD models, but it is something to consider.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I have a 56H80 and do not have that problem. I see the lines as the set switches resolutions, but the convergence is rock solid.

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
I have a front projector. The Sanyo PLV-Z2.
Here are the specs as shown on projectorcentral.com:
Compatibility:
HDTV:1080i, 720p
EDTV/480p: Yes
SDTV/480i: Yes

Display:
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (WXGA)

I was mainly concerned with the setting for the "4:3 override". I'm now getting two answers: 16:9 & 480i/p.
I guess I'll be trying them both.

Thanks much for all your help!!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That's interesting, Jeff. It's possible that the convergence board in my TV has a slight defect. Since the set is no longer under warranty, though, and this simple setting seems to correct the issue, I am not going to worry about it unless I have other problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks