What's new

Columbia Jan catalog-including Barney Miller S1,Dilbert & Critic series sets,Superbit (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
From Mao @ DVDTalk:
January 6-
Adam Had Four Sons (Full Screen)
Divorce American Style (Full Screen)
Giant Monsters All Out Attack (Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah)
Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus

January 13-
Annie: SE
It Should Happen To You
Matilda: SE
The New Adventures Of Spider-Man: Season One

Three Stooges: Stooges At Work

January 20-
Barney Miller: The First Season
Black Gunn
Dilbert: The Complete Series
Manny & Lo

January 27-
The Critic: The Entire series
Dr. Strangelove: SE (Superbit)

Gulity As Charged
Labyrinth: CE (Box Set)
The New Guy (Director's Cut)
Philadelphia: SE
Any bold effects added by me.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I DO hope this is true. If it is, This means OAR for Matilda!!! I have been wanting this for so long. Also, maybe they will fix the framing problem that the current Annie has. I will have to go update the victories page at WA on the Matilda one if true, since there was a petition for it.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I'm assuming that ANNIE: SE is going to be the original movie...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, Dilbert and the Critic in January. Man, I thought I'd get a break after October and November, but there's already a few things coming out in January I want.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Also, maybe they will fix the framing problem that the current Annie has.
Yes, that would be nice. But it would be even nicer if Columbia had fixed the initial release. See the DVDFile review of Annie which talks about the framing problems. There were a few posts here on HTF after that where somebody said that Columbia confirmed the problem and was promising to fix it, but we never heard about it again.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
TVShowsOnDVD is reporting that Columbia will release official information about The Critic on November 17 (contents, # of discs, features, etc.). I can't wait!

I think it's safe to say that all 23 TV episodes will be in the set (Season 1 is 13 episodes, Season 2 is 10 episodes). Aside from extras we don't know exist but may be included (behind-the-scenes, outtakes, etc.), I can think of two "extras" that should be included to make this collection complete:

1. The 10 "web" episodes
2. The Simpsons/Critic crossover episode when Jay comes to Springfield to judge the Film Festival

I'd like to think that since Al Jean, Mike Reiss, and James L. Brooks produced The Critic and worked on The Simpsons, there is a real possibility the crossover episode will appear on The Critic DVD set. What do you think?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jim, where Columbia is concerned I wouldn't usually hold out hope for extras. You might in fact get them, but right now I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Crossover episodes should, in my opinion, be handled that way in all cases. However, the studios have a different opinion, it seems. I haven't seen a single crossover situation handled that way yet. Anyone know of one I missed?

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
David, TVShowsOnDVD is a wonderful website and an invaluable resource for me!

After submitting my reply, I went to TV Tome to get some additional information. The crossover episode, "A Star Is Burns," is from Season 6, so at least it will be available on DVD in 2006 (based on The Simpsons current 1-a-year policy)!! So, not a big deal (this set is a must-buy even if it only has the 23 episodes).

When I went to the listing for that episode, I found two interesting bits of information:

"This episode was broadcast before the premiere of The Critic on the FOX network, a show that didn't last on ABC when it premiered there last year."

"Matt Groening hated the series "The Critic", so he had his name taken out of the credits in both the beginning and ending sequences."

The second piece of information makes me think Groening would never allow "A Star Is Burns" to appear on The Critic DVD set!! I wonder why he hated the series?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Glenn, Columbia has fixed the "Annie" DVD - about a year and a half ago. I exchanged mine and the newer pressing has the corrected framing.

A special edition would be welcome. Much that was shot was left on the cutting room floor. Friends of mine worked on the film and said some of the better stuff was cut. Judging from the final results this must be true. The film has it's moments but overall isn't great.
Let's hope they include the original filmed versions of the songs "Easy Street" "Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" and "Maybe" as well as the documentary "Lights, Camera, Annie"

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Glenn, Columbia has fixed the "Annie" DVD - about a year and a half ago. I exchanged mine and the newer pressing has the corrected framing.
Thanks for the info Greg. I do vaguely remember some talk about checking VOB file dates or something on newer pressings. So I guess they did fix it, but I was waiting for some kind of official information about how to get an exchange.

How exactly did you exchange yours? If it's too much hassle I may just sell this one and get the SE.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'll be picking up the TV sets of Barney Miller and the Critic, and the Annie and Matilda SEs.

About Annie, exactly how much was cut before release, and what did it entail? Does it still exist? Was it cut against the producer's and/or director's wishes?

For this new version, I would really like to have better sound (the 2.0 on the current DVD isn't that great; it's overcompressed to fit a P&S version). The picture, while clean, isn't quite as bright as on the laser disc. There was a 6-track 70mm mix that could be mixed to 5.1.

Hopefully a non-flipper remaster of Oliver will come next year as well.

The second piece of information makes me think Groening would never allow "A Star Is Burns" to appear on The Critic DVD set!!
I also imagine 20th Century Fox would not license it.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Kevin, you're not seeing things! But I too can't believe what it is I'm looking at. Are we talking about the same New Guy movie with that guy from Road Trip? A director's cut??? This is unbelievable! I think I speak for all of us when I say "WTF." But hey bring it on, let's see what it's all about. Maybe it's super unrated!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if there's going to be anything on the new "Dr. Strangelove" that justifies purchasing it yet again....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks