What's new

Columbia Classics on 2/22 (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Movies Unlimited is taking pre-orders for these classics being released on 2/22: John Huston's WE WERE STRANGERS (1949)*, Nicholas Ray's BITTER VICTORY (1957)*, Howard Hawks' TWENTIETH CENTURY (1934), Fred Zinneman's BEHOLD A PALE HORSE (1934), and three films directed by Richard Quine--STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET (1960), MY SISTER EILEEN (1955) and IT HAPPENED TO JANE (1959)*. * = Never before on home video.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
TWENTIETH CENTURY? Finally! With BRINGING UP BABY coming the week after, that's a Howard Hawks comedy jamboree.

"I close the iron door on you!"

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
How reliable has Movies Unlimited been when it comes to this kind of thing?

Great, surprising news on all of these. Especially looking forward to Twentieth Century, Bitter Victory (never on video), and the also previously unavailable We Were Strangers starring John Garfield as a Cuban revolutionary.

FrankXS

Second Unit
I've been a member at Movies Unlimited for almost 20 years. They are about as reliable as any dvd/video company can be. The only time they may have something incorrect is when a video company pulls a title after they have announced a release date.

MOVIES UNLIMITED IS RELIABLE !!!!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm freaking out! Except for Behold A Pale Horse, I want ALL these movies so I hope the announcements are correct. I have the laser disc of My Sister Eileen which features both the 1942 and 1955 versions but I hope the transfer on the 1955 version is improved.

My Sister Eileen (1955), Bitter Victory and Strangers When We Meet are all 2.35 wide screen. Don't blow it, Columbia!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Hopefully they will be properly letterboxed.
It would be great to include the 1942 version of MY SISTER EILEEN with the 1955 WIDESCREEN version.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is the first time Columbia has seen fit to release a "batch" of classics on a single date. I hope this trend continues, and that the transfers look better than those of THE AWFUL TRUTH and YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU. I remain skeptical, but I'll keep an open mind.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great news, I'll be picking up at least 3 of these DVDs.

FYI: Behold a Pale Horse is from 1964. All titles are $19.95.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
You folks just don't seem to get it, re The Awful Truth and You Can't Take it With You (and several other less-than-stellar-looking classics from Columbia) - they had a major flood and lost many negatives. These films had to be reconstructed from prints and other materials and new negs created - my understanding is that the camera negs on many Columbias were hopelessly damaged.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Our own Joe Caps ( bless him ) helped get My Sister Eileen released on Laserdisc.
It will now be fabulous to visit it again, only this time and with the help of DVD, we should get a very nice, more detailed Anamorphic copy.

Joe will they have any trouble locating the Stereo tracks that you used?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Doug Bull - Columbia should have no trouble with the stereo tracks for My Sister Eileen. I was very surprised to see this info today. I hope its all for real. Very surprised to see It Happened to Jane announced. Finally another Doris Day film.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Columbia Pictures screened a brand new stereo print of "My Sister Eileen" last Saturday at the Egyptain Theater in Los Angeles. The print was clean and the colors were right, the film had a fresh look to it unlike the laserdisc.

I would guess the DVD will look like this print.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
WELL THAT Fantastic news !!!!!!
LOVE DORIS DAY-"IT HAPPENED TO JANE"
AND KIM NOVAK-"STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET"
Where are -
"HARRIET CRAIG"
"HUMORESQUE" ???

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
If you're speaking of the Joan Crawford Humoresque - that's owened by Warners.
There's another Kim Novak film thathasn't been seen in years - Jeanne Eagels. - Where is this?
Columbia - for sheer trashy fun we need Salome starring Rita Hawyworth, charles Laughton, Judith Anderson, and Stewart Granger.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
This is great news. I am especially ecstatic over It Happened To Jane! I doubted that would get a dvd release because of the lack of a video release. I clicked on this thread based on the title thinking, "Well, It Happened To Jane won't be one of the films listed," and lo and behold I was thrilled to be wrong!

Yeah, Columbia. More classics from the vaults, please!

FrankXS

Second Unit
With these new announcements, I hope this means Columbia will go deeper into its catalogue. Some of the titles I'm still looking for include : Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Golden Boy, Salome, Sadie Thompson, the early Frank Capra movies and one or two of Grace Moore's 1930's musicals including One Night of Love which received an Academy Award nomination for best picture.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I hope that PEPE (Uncut version which was shown restored last year in LA in stereo ) and THE VICTORS ( Uncut Version) will get released soon.

How about some of those fun Jack Lemmon films, GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM and UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE

Charles H

Screenwriter
A possibility of Rita Hayworth's best Technicolor film TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT?--the story of a real London music hall that remained open during the blitz? I understand that Bob Hoskins and Judi Dench are making a film now about the same music hall.
Also now that they are releasing dvds without VHS precedents: THE GUILT OF JANET AMES (Rosalind Russell, Melvyn Douglas, Sid Caesar), HER HUSBAND'S AFFAIRS (Lucille Ball, Franchot Tone), THE NOTORIOUS LANDLADY (Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon, Fred Astaire) PHFFT! (Judy Holiday, Jack Lemmon, Kim Novak, MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (Fredric March, Kim Novak),...and another vote for PEPE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks