What's new

Coltrane's 'Coltrane' (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
I realized recently that I don't have this title in my collection and would like to pick it up. There is a standard version for $13CDN and the deluxe version for $38CDN. Is the extra material worth the extra cost? I am a fan of extra songs, but its more than double the price.
There is also a vinyl version that sells for $15CDN. Does anybody recommend buying or not buying the Impulse vinyl reissues? I've been buying alot of good, cheap, used vinyl lately, but finding any jazz is just about imposssible. I'd like to check out some jazz on lp, but I haven't heard much about the Impulse lps.

Regards
KrisM

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The bonus discs here is great. Big Nick and Up Against the Wall weren't originally released on albums, only as singles and on compilations, so it's cool to have it here, as the music kinda fits the album stylistically. These early, shorter versions of Impressions are great and a nice contrast to the sprawling, exploratory suites it would turn in to. And the three extra versions of Tunji are fun to compare and contrast.

I usually don't care about bonus tracks, but I did splurge on the 'Trane double Impulse! CDs. The Love Supreme bonus disc is the best one.

KrisM

Second Unit
I never did get the Love Supreme deluxe edition. I know I want these discs, but the price here just seems too high. I might have to wait for a good sale price. I'm still curious about the Impulse vinyls.
And you know as soon as I pick this up, it will be announced as an SACD.;) I'm trying to not double dip too much with SACDs. With so much great jazz that I don't have coming out on SACD, I'd rather try something new.

Regards
KrisM

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I can't tell you about the records 'cause I don't do vinyl.

There are currently three Coltrane SACDs out:

A Love Supreme, single layer, no bonus tracks, sounds awesome. Though I've decided to no longer purchase single-layer SACDs, I don't mind this one because I want the deluxe version anyway for the bonus tracks.

Soultrane, which is great, a hybrid, and I sold my XRCD when I got it. This is one of the titles that has like a bazillion versions of it, but I think the SACD is the best (though I've never heard the DCC gold).

Standards, hybrid, which has to be the best version out there.

I wouldn't hold out for more of the Impulse titles on SACD. Universal doesn't seem to be killing themselves to pump out the SACD. :rolleyes

KrisM

Second Unit
I've got A Love Supreme. I'd like to get the bonus tracks from the deluxe edition, but I'm too cheap to triple-dip. I don't have the other two, but plan on getting them. I'd really like to see them locally as ordering across the border is expensive.
Isn't Blue Train on SACD? I'm pretty happy with my Mofi version, so I'm not sure if I'll upgrade this one.

Regards
Krism

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, forgot Blue Trane. That's just me ego- since I don't have it, it doesn't exist! :D

I may get it at some point to replace my "Ultimate Edition" CD which doesn't sound too hot. But the DAD of Blue Trane is where it's at.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Kris, or anyone, where do you find dealers in new vinyl, on line, in Canada?

At $15 Cdn for albums like that, I might try some jazz, and be willing to gamble that they sound good.

KrisM

Second Unit
John, A&B Sound here has a small, but decent selection of vinyl. Their prices are all over the map. Jeff Beck Truth was about $11CDN, they had some of the Columbia Thelonious Monk Lps for $15 and there were also some Lps closer to $30. They had a few that were under $10.
I don't know about on-line though. I think A&B Sound has a web-site. You might want to check that out.
I'm just getting back into vinyl and I'm not sure how much new vinyl I want to buy. I've been getting a TON of decent classical for less than a dollar. My wife was also given a box of about 100 classical titles for free that I have to go through and clean. Jazz and blues are really hard to come by. I wish I could score as much jazz and blues as I have been with classical.

Regards
KrisM

John Watson

Screenwriter
Thanks Kris, I tried the A&B site but no listing for vinyl, not even for Coltrane :frowning:

Sure wish I still had those 2000 LPs!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The African Orthodox Church of St John Coltrane use to be about a half of block from my house. Every Sunday Morning I would walk my Scotties past the church which was going crazy .....the drum kit was almost on the sidewalk it was so packed and the music drifted for blocks. They moved about 2 years ago to a less expensive church that's not walking distance. I was sorry to see it leave....real cool sisters who sold baked stuff and cool T shirts to boot.
If any Coltrane fans get to San Francisco check out the church; it's a blast on a sunday morning

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Oops
Moderator, I did not mean that in a religous sense. I just thought Coltrane fans would get a kick out of the jam sessions if they were in the area one day
Sorry if I Messed up
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks