What's new

Color "ribbons" burned into my new Tosh 42H81 (1 Viewer)

Matt Rogers

Auditioning
Anyone know what could cause this?

I received my new 42H81 from 800.Com delivery yesterday and when I finally turned it on there were these three ribbons right at the top center of the screen, really noticable. There is a red and blue and yellow one right next to each other about an inch and a half long and 1/4 inch thick. It looks almost like there is a piece of scotch tape inside the unit that is reflecting the light from the guns. The toshiba rep I spoke to on the phone said to do the 9 point convergence, but all that did was make the ribbons sharper.

To 800.com's credit, their CS has been excellent. They will drop off a new TV and pick mine up free of charge. Still I am curious what would cause such a thing.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Probably some foreign matter (Scotch tape) or imperfection (mirror crack) not at the screen but in the light path before. All three CRTs' light beams are hitting it in a fashion that when the light beams arrive at the screen, the shadow is in a different place for each beam.
If it is tape on a mirror, there is a good chance that peeling it off would leave a residue. Then whoever cleaned it would have to be careful not to scratch the mirror. Many mirrors inside RPTVs are "first surface" which means the silver will scratch very easily.
Since you would void the warranty by opening up the TV yourself to see where it might be, you might as well have them replace it if that is already scheduled.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
"How many times have you heard of a surgeon leaving a scissors or something inside the patient?"

Matt Rogers

Auditioning
OK, I managed to take a picture of the defect and post it. Hopefully it will work.
What do you think? Pretty noticable huh?
Link Removed

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
There is a ribbon shaped object which is casting a shadow inside the set. By the shadow's appearance it is probably pretty close to the mirror. The close approximation of the color images to each other, the sharpness of the effect, and double imaging of the defect all point to something hanging down just in front of the mirror. A serviceman should be able to correct it in ten minutes by pulling the screen and moving or removing the offending object.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks