What's new

Color on Toshiba 57h81 (1 Viewer)

Brian Cal

Stunt Coordinator
I've calibrated my 57h81 with Avia, and used the "Warm" color temperature setting that has been recommended on this forum, however the color bars didn't have the same amount of blue until "tint" was at -15 and "color" was jacked all the way up to 75! So I did the color decoder check, and a 0% red push still had the color level set to 63. This seems awfully high to me, not to mention the picture is too red most of the time.
Can anyone with an h81 set or an h80 set comment on this? Should I switch color temperature to "medium" and re-calibrate?

Craig

Second Unit
Toshiba has always maintained the warm setting is closest to the 6500K standard. However, at least on the earlier TWX81 series, I remember reading a couple of reviews that determined the medium setting was actually closer to 6500K. I know on my TW56X81 the warm setting is just too red, medium looks much better to me.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Brian, i can't speak directly to your problem, but i've owned a Toshiba 40" 16:9 tv for four years, and Toshiba told me the same thing - warm is best. But through discussion and experimentation, i found that medium most closely approximates the 6500k standard. So i'd try that.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Brian, in theory, the color temperature setting shouldn't affect the color decoder test. I know if I set the color temperature on my Toshiba (direct view) to either cool, medium or warm, it doesn't change the overall color and tint settings calibrated via Avia. You should take a look at one of the grayscale ramp patterns while changing the color temperature to see how the setting affects your grayscale. If you've calibrated color/tint and red is at 0 percent on the color decoder but things still look too red, it may be that you just don't like the more reddish grayscale of the "Warm" color temperature setting. Try setting it to "Medium" and seeing if that helps. It could also mean that something is not right, since 63 does seem high (on a scale of a 100 I assume?).
cheers,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks