What's new

College Police group get taser happy on annoying Florida student (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Give me a f*&*ing break. The first decision was made by this individual as a POLICE OFFICER, so his decision was in an OFFICIAL capacity; therefore, it was a POLICE decision. Also, don't make it sound like I was using the term "po-leeze" because I wasn't.

The second decision was made by this fellow as an INDIVIDUAL. He was not in any official capacity. It's too bad he shot himself, but it only proves he was a bad decision maker in his capacity as a Police Lieutenant and as an individual.

BTW, I'm not choking on my sarcasm. Cops go through Taser training. During that training they are shot with a Taser gun to demonstrate the effects. Being shot by a Taser results in complete loss of voluntary control of your muscles, that is what makes a Taser effective in controlling a suspect.

The now deceased individual would have known that as a Police Officer trained in the use of Tasers. He knows that an air bag is on the way, but he has a guy on a ledge shot with a device that results in complete loss of bodily control. What did he expect was going to happen? That the guy was going to float down and make a soft landing on to asphalt? The decision was stupid and it deserved sarcasm, just as the decision to shoot a guy, repeatedly with a Taser, in the Vancouver airport was stupid and also deserved sarcasm.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Now it's MY turn to say, 'give me a f*&*ing break!' Your original post painted the whole NYPD (and all police) with the biggest brush available.

Now, because of my comment, you're trying to backpedal by saying you were talking about one officer, when it's obvious you weren't in your first comment. :rolleyes

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I was responding to your post where you focussed on the individual and made it sound like I should somehow feel guilty because I was sarcastic over a decision made by a man who subsequently shot himself. Make up your mind. Either I should feel guilty for criticizing the individual or I should feel guilty for criticizing Police forces, who by all of the media reports, are abusing the use of Tasers.

I don't feel guilty because it is obvious from the continuous reporting of Taser incidents that Police use of these devices is becoming indiscriminate. I mean, how stupid can a person be to resort to the use of a device that immobilizes a person in a situation where it is obvious that immobilization is dangerous? I mean, how about the one where Cops tasered another fellow, causing him to fall off a bridge onto a road below? I believe he was seriously injured in that incident. I guess that was just a couple of individuals making bad decisions, not Police Officers discharging their duty in one of the stupidest manners possible.

Obviously, it is becoming clear, that Taser use is becoming so acceptable amongst the Police that it is the first solution they reach for, even to the point of ignoring the possible consequences of such use. I'm supposed to feel sorry for criticizing authority figures, who are whipping out and using these weapons with little thought of the consequences. I don't think so.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
My point is that you seem to have a mission to denigrate tazer use at every turn, and because their use is intrinsically tied to law enforcement functions, those that utilize a particular tool that you have a problem with are portrayed as either bumbling buffoons or mindless thugs. You DIDN'T criticize the individual, that's the point. You were condescending and critical to police as a whole for the actions of that one person. I think everyone will agree that gross generalizations contribute nothing to discussions here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks