What's new

Collateral - full specs (incl. extras) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
DreamWorks Home Entertainment will release Michael Mann's terrific Collateral on December 14th with a retail of $29.99.

The two-disc set will feature a 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks.

Extras will include deleted scenes, "City Of Night: The Making of Collateral," "Visual FX: MTA Train" featurette, Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx's rehearsal footage and a selection of trailers.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Digital Bits says that there's going to be a full-frame version, too. Man, I don't even want to imagine how a badly a 2.40:1 film (espcially one like Collateral) will be butchered for that release.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I loved "Collateral" when I saw it in theatres. I'll definitely be buying this one. I thought both Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise gave stellar performances, and I've always loved movies that take place in the course of one evening (i.e. Bringing Out The Dead & After Hours). Can't wait for this!

Lev-S

Second Unit

I can't find any evidence of this on Dreamworks's website, Amazon.com or DVDTimes. YAY! :D

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I just looked at BestBuy.com to see if there was a full-screen version coming out, and happily, there isn't. Besides the 2-disc widescreen DVD, you can also, if you're still living in the Dark Ages, pick up a widescreen VHS or widescreen VHS dubbed in Spanish. :)

I remember The Insider was the first widescreen tape I ever saw for sale.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Bravo to Dreamworks for not having a P&S version of this, not even on VHS.

They are slowly starting to make up for the forced trailers and manipulation to double dip on Shrek 2.

James N

Grip
I read, long time ago, that Mann has a no-P&S written into his contract. This might be true. If so, Dreamworks would probably release a P&S, if they were legally allowed.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes, I remember the Insider being only available in widescreen because it was the first widescreen VHS I bought back in the day.

Still this is at the top of my Christmas list, and I'm glad to see its widescreen only, but I found it difficult to believe that Dreamworks chose not to mention that a commentary was included in this release when they announced the specs when in fact there will be one.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I read, long time ago, that Mann has a no-P&S written into his contract"

I remember seeing Last of the Mohicans on VHS in the early 90s and it was in letterbox.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Too bad more directors don't have that no P&S clause.

And I thought Dreamworks was starting a turn around. Knowing their practices lately, I bet they will double the number of forced trailers to retaliate. :angry:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah good for Mann. This is the kind of thing that you would think Spielberg and Lucas would have. Anyway, has anyone seen the package for the DVD yet. On the Specs, it actually says "Full Screen not Available"

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I wonder if Scorcese has similar provisions as well. I can't really recall any of his films, even his most recent ones, that have been anything other than OAR. Even Gangs of New York, his most recent outside of The Aviator, was only available in WS. I know he is about as big a Widescreen advocate as you can find anywhere.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It must have happened after "Manhunter" since MGM has released a Pan and Scan version of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks