What's new

Coldplay - "X&Y" (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
congrats brian. i purposely chose the lawn...i actually prefer it. just more relaxed and i can only look at them on stage for so long anyway.

i'd rather just lie back and listen to them... :D

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Listened to the album on the site, huge fan, can't WAIT for the new album. Sounds like they really are finding a solid sound.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
i got ga pit tickets for the Tampa show in september, can't freakin wait. i couldn't believe how expensive they were, absolutely ridiculous, just hoping that being like 15 feet from the stage will make it all the worth while.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator

I can't say I understand the comparisons to Radiohead. Some of Coldplay's stuff sounds like The Bends, but by and large they are much different (and not anywhere near as good as RH), and not nearly as experimental.

And I liked A Rush... but I wouldn't have it anywhere close to one of the best albums ever.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Are you SERIOUS? They're both British, they are both currently active bands AND they both use guitars, bass, and drums. The fact that Coldplay actually has the balls to issue their music on compact discs after Radiohead clearly did it before them is further proof that Coldplay is nothing but a thinly-disguised Radiohead ripoff. Also, everyone knows that Radiohead is the first band to use any sort of electronic elements in their music. Anyone else who uses anything electronic in their music is nothing but a Radiohead ripoff, and that includes you, Coldradioheadplay!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
last i heard pretty much all bands use those instruments. ;)

i can see a slight similarity in their piano work, tone and energy ... but that's about it.

both these bands are definitely in my top 10 ...

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator

:D

As for their piano work, I think Coldplay uses quite a bit more, and it seems that overall they are a bit more mellow than Radiohead. But they are clearly still a ripoff. :D

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Wow! The first moment that I heard Coldplay, I thought that these guys sound like a poppier version of Radiohead. That's not an attack on them, because I like Coldplay. In fact, I even put all of my MP3s for both groups on the same disc.

The comparison that I never got was Stone Temple Pilots = Pearl Jam.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator

Like I said, I can see some comparison to Pablo Honey/The Bends era Radiohead, but not to OK Computer, and certainly not to Kid A, Amnesiac or Hail to the Thief.

STP has been compared to PJ? I never have thought they sounded even remotely the same.....Pearl Jam just blows them away.

Herschel

Stunt Coordinator
Is it just me, or does "Speed of Sound" sound exactly like "Clocks"? Same drum beat, and that riff from "Clocks" was only changed a little bit to become the riff for SoS.

RichardK

Second Unit
I'm going to pick this up today. I'll post back thoughts later this week.

No one picked this up yet I guess? or are you all to busy enjoying the new Album. :)

Enjoy.

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
Downloaded this from iTunes last night. It's a great album. I like it as much as AROBTTH.

RichardK

Second Unit
Quick note, there are 13 tracks on the album. Kingdom Come is #13 although not listed on the outside of the case, and only listed as a + sign in the liner notes.

Also, I picked it up from Target for $9.98, great deal. Comes with a free download with code included. Dl'd the song, it is a protected .wma file of the song Animals. Well I couldnt get the damn authorization to work on my PC, so for now i have a 6meg .wma song file that I cant play. I use iTunes primarily so this .wma is new for me...Anyway Im enjoying the Album right now, sorry for the rants. ***Update on the free DL. The customer service for neurotic media hooked me up...dl'ing via firefox was no good and i had to dl with IE6 w/accept all cookies...that did the trick... ***

Joe Kamsan

Stunt Coordinator
I've listened to X&Y a few times now (have bought lots of CDs in the past week while my DVD wishlist is getting neglected).

In short, I'm just not 'feeling' this record.

White Shadows and Talk are excellent. Fix You is the kind of lighter waving anthem that stadium crowds eat up. The rest is kinda blah, even Speed of Sound uses the same template of 'Clocks'. 'Low' just annoys the hell out of me and its driving me mad. Perhaps its too U2-sounding. Actually the whole album sounds like U2 circa-1991, only not as good.

Not trolling, just offering my thoughts. Who am I kidding, this will sell by the truckload.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
listening to it (for the first time) right now. i'm kinda tired, but i'm definitely diggin' it. i can already tell this is gonna get a lot of airtime for me.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Doesn't do it for me - it's overblown, overproduced - like I'm listening to nice, little bitty songs blasted through a massive cathedral.

I just keep thinking of that Spinal Tap song, "The Majesty of Rock."

I think I'd just prefer something on a much smaller, more human, scale.

RichardK

Second Unit
Quick notes:

Just watched the VH1 storytellers for Coldplay. Nice!
Also, reading the Coldplay ezine from their website...it says two things.
'Til Kingdom Come' was to be a collaboration of Coldplay and Johnny Cash before his death in 2003...and...that the Japanese version of X&Y includes the track 'How you see the world'...will someone who can get this track .mp3 please PM me.

Thanks
RichardK

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I saw the Storytellers too, they sounded great, can't freakin wait for September already, the shows are going to be amazing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'm thinking of checking these guys out. I usually don't pay a lot of attention to mainstream bands, but I saw a bit of an ad for their VH1 Storytellers episode, and I heard some stuff that sounded interesting. I'm not adverse to picking up all their releases at once (three, correct?).
Any advice on what to listen to first?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks