What's new

Cold Stone Creamery (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Now that the days are getting warmer here in New England, the ice cream places are ROCKIN!

There is a Cold Stone Creamery across the street from my work place and I just got a Strawberry Shortcake. Mmmmm! Good stuff!

If you don't know Cold Stone, then you may know something similar...it's the place where they have about 20 different flavored ice creams and they make up combinations by slapping them on a frozen stone and mixing in different item combinations.

My Strawberry Shortcake started with strawberry ice cream and they took a piece of shortcake and smashed it into the ice cream, then used metal spatulas to mix it all together (with whipped cream).

They also have a cake batter ice cream that tastes JUST like cake batter. They use it to add in Kit-Kats, M&M's and Snickers, to create their "Candy Land" creation.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I had this for the first time a couple weeks ago. My current g/f introduced me to it.

It is good but a bit too rich and sweet for me.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
It's OK but nothing to write home about. I do like the singing tip jar though.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Too gummy/sticky and sweet (the gumminess is probably there to ensure that the mixture doesn't melt while they mix). I prefer something lighter and creamier, something that melts easily (my experiences with CSC involved 'chewing' on the ice cream, giving up and swallowing unmelted).

In the Twin Cities, MN, the best place for ice cream is Izzy's. Although, I've been favoring frozen custard as of late, like the stuff they serve at Adele's Frozen Custard in Excelsior, MN.

If you can, try it...you'll like it.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
We have a Maggie Moos near me in NJ, but the only place I've been to a Cold Stone Creamery is in Anchorage, AK. (Hi Janna!)

I've since checked their website and they do list a new franchise coming over here in NJ but haven't seen any. The one franchise that just exploded here is Quiznos... one day I saw about 3 of them all open up with a "grand opening" flag.. other than that, the chain sub shops were only Blimpies and then Subway.

I like Cold Stone Creamery, it is rich but I like it that way.

I also like Mad Marthas up in Martha's Vineyard, a waffle cone sundae is awesome.

Jay

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
The first time I had Cold Stone Creamery was about 5 years ago in Boulder, CO. I loved it then. Now they are popping all over the place and it just didn't taste the same as I remembered.

I kind of feel that with their expansion, they've sold out a bit. Once you've been to the Cold Stone in Times Square, it loses all it's luster.

The one thing I liked about it when I had it in Boulder was that "mom & pop" or "local gem" type feel. Similar to Thomas Sweet in Princeton (although they have a few more) and just like. . .

Jay - Mad Marthas is on the tops of my list. I love this place. We go to the Vineyard for a week every year, and I honestly think we stop for yogurt/ice cream at least 5 out of the 7 days we're there!!!

I've never had Maggie Moos - where are they in NJ?

Pete

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Cold Stone is definitely rich. I'm a big ice cream fan, but I've only been to Cold Stone 3 times in the past year +.

I found the Strawberry Shortcake to be less rich than some of the others. The Birthday Cake one was just TOO sweet and a major overload for me. It was cake batter ice cream with rainbow shots, etc. It really did taste like a birthday cake...well, actually it tasted like an entire can of frosting :eek: A bit too much for me.

This is definitely one place that you ONLY need to visit when you have a craving.

Ernesto.Morin

Stunt Coordinator

My boss/friend at work owns that store plus the one at the Denver West area. I had the best experience once, I got to make my own.:) I went with him to take care of some stuff at his store and afterwards he told me to go ahead and make my own if I would like. I tell you I was like a kid at a candy store. I must have put about 10 different ingredients. I just loved it!

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I've been to that Denver West shop and actually had pretty bad experience. It was 1st/last trip there. It was a hot summer weekend day and the line was out the door. The gal working the orders must have high on something as she couldn't remember any order and had to ask every customer at least twice what they wanted and to boot, she moving in slow motion. The whole time this was going on, the manager was right behind her counting the money on the back counter right in front of everyone. :angry: I wanted to tell the manager that she would actually have alot more of the money to count if she chipped in helped stoner girl take some orders. Instead, my wife and I had enough after 20 minutes in line and left, as did several others. I know this experience shouldn't be used to paint a broad brush over all of the CSC, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Philip, unfortunately your experience was atypical since CSC employees are supposed to be energetic and excited. That's the whole point with the singing tip jar. You're supposed to be entertained while you are there.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Mark, I think the manager had the tip jar with her as well, counting the money in it. ;)
I may check another one out as it does like a tasty treat, but it will be from a different location.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I would concur with "too rich and sweet" and I guess I am a cheap old bastard but for my wife and I and two kids it was nearly $20 bucks. Pretty steep for ice cream IMHO.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Not really, it's not necessarily a place for the whole family. It's more of a 'specialized' ice cream like Haagen Daaz.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Guess I'm the odd one here - I **love** Cold Stone! My girlfriend and I usually split a medium w/ 2 mix-ins, and occasionally indulge by adding a waffle bowl. Total is usually under $5. As our base we usually use coffee or sweet cream ice cream [on rare occasions we'll buy chocolate or vanilla], and one of our favorite mix-ins is brownie -- we use it almost every time. Other mix-ins we like are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, pralines, chocolate syrup, caramel, strawberries and peanut butter [to make PB ice cream by adding it to the sweet cream base].

htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Cold Stone is great stuff! a tad pricey though.hmmmmm... time for some cold stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks