What's new

Coke Blãk (pronouced "Black") (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I heard about this and just saw some at the store. It isn't cold, so I am going to wait till it's on ice (before trying it), but I guess it's popular in France? (or somewhere overseas)

I can't seem to find it in print, but I've heard it's Coke with a coffee flavor. Anyone else heard of this or has tried it?

There's not much info on the site, but:
http://www.coca-colablak.com/us/index.jsp

EDIT: I just found it in the press release:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed that the title got screwed up. It's supposed to be Coke Blak (with a curly line over the a). I've informed a mod to fix it, so ignore the crazy title for now.

EDIT: it's fixed now.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This sounds disgusting. We just got Cherry Vanilla coke, which is pretty much Dr. Pepper with an coke aftertase.

Coke and coffee is pretty gross, based on drinking coke from my coffee cup without rinsing it out first.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
from the way it's advertised and by the term 'coffee essence', I would imagine it's not just Coke with coffee flavoring. For some reason it reminds me of how Guinness has that 'coffee' taste to it. And who would have ever thought that coffee tasting beer would be good. :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Guinness is is godliness in a mug, but coffee essenced Coke? (need that tongue sticking out smilie)

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
I tried some this weekend. To put it nicely, it is nasty! I'm just glad I got a cherry coke to wash the taste out of my mouth.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Tina Fey on SNL Weekend Update:

"Coca-Cola BlaK is a sophisticated, premium blend of Coca-Cola, natural flavors and coffee essence. The same things found in your garbage disposal."

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
Got a free sample of one of these a few weeks back. I figured: I like coke, I like coffee. Should work, right?

Looked at the nutritional info (har!) and found it had far fewer calories than a normal can of coke (90 vs 140). Not a good sign. Contained aspertine (think sweet and low or other artificial sugars).

The taste was interesting at first. Possibly a bit overly carbonated for a coffee drink. The aftertaste, on the other hand, was TERRIBLE. Couldn't manage more than a second sip.

And this is from someone who likes both cherry and vanilla coke. Maybe the strange cats out there who actually enjoy the taste of diet soda will warm up to this, but I found it to be one unholy beverage.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Speaking as one who's drunk nothing but diet soda for 30 years and finds the tast of high-fructose corn syrup highly nauseating, I'm disappointed that there's no full-on sugar free version of this drink.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Back in the day, I was driving up route 15 in Pennsylvania between Harrisburg and Williamsport. Feeling thirsty, I stopped into a little hole-in-the-wall convenience store in the middle of nowhere looking for a soda. What I found was the one purveyor of an obscure product I had never seen before, nor would ever see again called Pepsi Kona. It was, as you may have guessed, a coffee-flavored cola.

As I look back on this day, the details appear more and more fuzzy around the edges, and I am forced to concede that it may have all been a dream. But I enjoyed the heck out of my single bottle of Pepsi Kona, savoring its complex flavor palate as I drove, fully aware that I would likely never see it again. It was too good for a mass audience. The people weren't ready yet.

Then again, I really liked Crystal Pepsi a few year earlier, so what do I know?

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
High Fructose Corn Syrup, obesity in America? Coincidence?

I used to work in a major drink makers R&D lab. I asked one of the chemists why not use real sugar and why HFCS is so prevalent. He said that HFCS was born due to all of the excess corn that was being farmed. The government was paying nice subsidies to farms for growing corn. Good article on HFCS. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGS24VKMH1.DTL

Aspartame/nutrisweet/sweet and low is some nasty stuff. Carcinogen or so I thought, I just read on Mayo Clinics website that the National Cancer Institute says there's no scientific evidence of that. But I do know that it gives me migraines.

One teaspoon of table sugar or HFCS contains just 16 calories. But apparently the body processes HFCS differently so it's not the calories that get you. (See article above)

I make my own soda using table sugar. The benefit here is I choose how much to add. I also use real lemon and limes to flavor. I got a soda siphon from here:

http://www.prairiemoon.biz/index.html

This public service announcement brought to you by the letter Q, and the number 7

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
MarkMel, the one odd thing I noticed about this Coke Blak is, not only does it contain HFCS, but it also contains aspartame. :eek:

I just put the soda in the fridge, so I've yet to try it, but I really can't see why people are so grossed out? Coke is basically carmel soda and the Carmel Cooladas (at Dunkin Donuts) and so many people get those Caramel Machiatos (SP?) at Starbucks, so coffee and caramel isn't really a new thing.

It almost sounds like it would be a GREAT soda to use to make floats with. Mmmmm!!!!

There was once this chocolate cola that was really good, so I can't wait to try coffee coke.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
MarkH, you are a braver man than I. Those do not sound good to me at all. ;)

Then again, I was never a coke fan, sprite or 7up for me.

It was always the fuzzy teeth feeling after drinking coke that would get to me.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Here in Texas one can get Dr. Pepper made with cane sugar; it really is better. Many of the Mexican sodas are made with sugar [the same ones that Coca-Cola Inc. is trying to keep out of the country], and you can't tell me Mexico doesn't have plenty of corn — what it really doesn't have is a law against importing sugar. That's why LifeSavers, when their plant in upstate New York needed renovation, just moved the whole shebang across the border into Canada: the sugar's much cheaper, and thanks to NAFTA there's no duty on importing candy. The recent so-called "free trade agreement" with Central America allows each of the five countries involved to export sugar to the US, in the amount of 1% of annual American demand. :rolleyes

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I remember when Life Savers had a plant in Portchester NY. My aunt worked there and brought me tons of freebies. Plus the street it was on smelled like lifesavers.

I bet the free trade agreement regarding the cane sugar had something to do with the HFCS manufacturers and corn subsidies.

I would like to try the mexican sodas. They must taste much better.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

That's reason enough for me to pass. It's also why I don't consume diet / low-calorie sodas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks