What's new

Coffee: Intermediate to Advanced (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I appreciate everyone's contributions to this topic. I'm opening an independent coffee shop of my own in three months, and I'm heartened to see such an abundance of love for this amazing substance. I must confess, however, that my knowledge of coffee doesn't begin to approach what I've seen here, though I'm learning fast.
Thanks for the recipes, and thanks for the insight.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wow, good luck with that Brian! I've seen some folks have the same dream and make it big and others crash and burn, so best of luck with it! If I can be more presumptuous than usual I will say that it's been those with passion who have made the best go of it, either a passion for business or a passion for coffee, but having BOTH seems to be helpful.
If you are interested in seeing two of the best who have come along and who have documented their journey, I heartily recommend starting here:
http://joecoffeeblog.blogspot.com/
and my local (NJ side) guys:
http://www.facebook.com/rookcoffeeroasters?ref=mf
http://www.rookcoffeeroasters.com/Articles.asp?ID=143

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Breville Nekkid Portafilter back in stock, mine is on the way!
http://www.brevilleusa.com/beverages/espresso/bes058np-58mm-naked-portafilter.html

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Cool Sam let me know how your experience goes. I rarely ever use my double spout...basically only to make Nicos (the double spout splits the double shot nicely to two demitasse cups). Otherwise it's all nekkid all the time!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Brian - ditto what Dave said! let us know what your new endeavor is called. If I'm ever in the North Texas area I'll definitely swing by! :tu:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'll post a video once I've got it installed. Here's a random one from youtube in the meantime:

Here's what it looks like when it goes horribly wrong:

Now THAT is a lot of crema!!!!

Saw this glass in the video, I'm gonna order one to have for perfect measuring:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=LZT7K1fSvBI&NR=1[/video]
Order them here, only 6 bucks!
http://www.1st-line.net/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=quickbuy&item=GEShotGlass&type=store

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Thanks, Guys. And thanks for posting those videos, Sam. Very instructive. Plus, they make me drool... :P
I don't want to hijack this great thread, so when things get moving, I'll start another thread and keep you all posted on my progress.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Awesome, Sam! Enjoy! I know I'm often mesmerized watching the flow of coffee goodness come from the nekkid pf.
One thing: Might your grind be a little too fine? I ask because most baristas I have talked to say to aim for a 22-26 second extraction for a double shot, and I think yours took nearly a minute.
Am trying Intelligentsia's Sugar Glider espresso roast, very nice intensity and smoothness to it. Unfortunately it's expensive ($23/lb) and I think a limited-time offering. So today I went down to the Conservatory for Coffee in Culver City and bought a half-pound of their organic espresso roast for $7. Will try that next and see how I like it. My go-to roast is from Coffee Tomo in West LA, they roast their bean on the premises with a roaster out in the open (and it heats the whole place up when they run it).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's hit and miss with this batch, I'm not sure why. And I had to make the volume larger to fit the size of the lined shots, the volume they claim is right seems huge to me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I hear ya Sam. Actually while I love my grinder (and it gets rave reviews online) I've noticed that from bean to bean I sometimes have to dial each batch in *very* differently than the last! Also, as a bean dries out in the hopper over time, I have to micro-adjust to a finer grind.
I've become convinced that extracting the "golden shot" is part art and part science! ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I'm out. I like a smooth cup with moderate caffeine. I am actually trying to reduce to a double-shot worth of espresso per day. Will see how that works out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It occurs to me that this thread is too advanced for me. I went from French Press to Keurig, which is like going from an 18-speed bike to training wheels :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
BrianW said:
I appreciate everyone's contributions to this topic. I'm opening an independent coffee shop of my own in three months, and I'm heartened to see such an abundance of love for this amazing substance. I must confess, however, that my knowledge of coffee doesn't begin to approach what I've seen here, though I'm learning fast.
Thanks for the recipes, and thanks for the insight.
Whatever you do, make sure you include de-caf versions. Lots of people can't tolerate caffeine, me being one of them, so you could miss out on a lot of customers.
Had a real bad experience with caffeine years ago before I knew I was so sensitive to it. My blood pressure went sky high and I could literally hear the blood pumping in my brain near my ears.
Still love coffee, but if somebody sneaks in regular coffee instead of de-caf, my body knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks