What's new

Coen Brothers Collection, 08/30/11 ? (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
A quick search here didn't show anything.

Do any of you have knowledge of a "Coen Brothers Collection", showing an Amazon release date of August 30th? The product screen is bare bones and completely faulty, showing a disc count of "1".

They're also showing 'Miller's Crossing' with an individual release date of 08/30, and an individual release of 'Raising Arizona' on 08/30. Also, a 'Blood Simple' place-holder page with no release date.

Anybody know what's up, and what's on the way?

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Great news! Looks like the only one missing from my original post, is 'Fargo', which I assume will be a repackage job. The Coens have always been skimpy on extras, so that aspect doesn't bother me...I'm just hoping for great transfers.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Great to have all this early Coen goodness on the way. Now if we can just get Barton Fink, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, and The Man Who Wasn't There on Blu, I will be a happy man...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If this set had "Barton Fink" in it, it would be perfect. That film is really tied to "Millers Crossing" to me, similar look and style, despite being completely different from each other.

Hicks

Agent
Real Name
Jason
The Hudsucker Proxy really deserves a new transfer, such a beautifully crafted film yet the DVD doesn't look much better than the VHS.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm Stoked. With The Dude (Universal release), Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona, 4 of my favorite Coen Bro films are coming out this summer.

This has been a great year for BD catalog releases for me.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6620

Blood Simple: Director's Cut

• Commentary with Kenneth Loring of Forever Young Films
  • Cast and crew biographies
  • Production notes
  • Theatrical trailer
Raising Arizona

• Theatrical trailer
  • TV spots
Miller's Crossing

• Shooting Miller's Crossing: A Conversation with Barry Sonnenfeld featurette
  • Interview Soundbites with cast members Gabriel Byrne, Marcia Gay Harden, and John Turturro
  • Still gallery
  • Theatrical trailers
Fargo

• Commentary with cinematographer Roger Deakins
  • Minnesota Nice featurette
  • Trivia track
  • Trailer
  • Still gallery
  • American Cinematographer article on the film

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
While I'm thrilled we'll finally have an anamorphic transfer of Raising Arizona, the total lack of extras is deeply disappointing.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
This is indeed good news! I concur about the Barton Fink omission, but hopefully it will be released later in the year. I'm actually quite surprised Disney hasn't released O Brother, Where Art Thou?, as it was one of the more popular films the Coens had made until No Country for Old Men (yes, the soundtrack album helped immeasurably). Some of the underrated Coen films like The Man Who Wasn't There and The Hudsucker Proxy should be released on blu-ray--they're fantastic! It's looking to be a very good year for Coen Brothers fans on blu-ray!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I still wish that Fox would bring Holly Hunter and Nicolas Cage in to do a commentary in character for Raising Arizona. That would elevate it to must-buy status.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have seen the set advertised on Amazon.

Sorry, no press release from Fox, but that studio

has gotten really behind with some of their catalog

press releases which they don't send out until a

mere two weeks prior to the actual release date.

As soon as we receive the press release we will post.

Visit our
imgrepo
DVD,
imgrepo
BLU-RAY and
imgrepo
3D REVIEW ARCHIVES

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Craig S

Great to have all this early Coen goodness on the way. Now if we can just get Barton Fink, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, and The Man Who Wasn't There on Blu, I will be a happy man...

Well that didn't take long. According to the Digital Bits, Disney has announced O Brother, Where Art Thou? for 9/13/11. That's a total of 5 new-to-Blu Coen films in a one month period. Awesome!!

But I'm with Joel above. Fox currently has a Coen Collection DVD set with the four films previous discussed AND Barton Fink. Why is BF not included in the Blu-Ray set?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm wondering if the absence of Barton Fink is due to some sort of rights issue with the production company. Working Title is listed, which makes me wonder if there was some sort of rights swap in order to include Blood Simple, which has always been a Universal title until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks