What's new

Coaxial Digital Audio TV Output (1 Viewer)

rogerc1

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
I'm new to this forum so here goes. I have a TV with a single coaxial audio out connection (female). Is there any way to adapt this output to standard Left/Right RCA type outputs? If not, what's the best way to hook up some additional speakers to the tv? Should I go with a home theater setup and if so do those systems have a coaxial digital audio input? I could have bought a more expensive TV but money was tight and I purchased what I could. Thanks for any help.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Welcome to the Home Theater Forum, Roger.

The tv you purchased is a SDTV. It has the same tuner as HDTV's but it downconverts the HD signal to the standard signal that your tv can accept. The Coax out is a digital connection. It is used for Surround sound on certain high def programming. The only way to utilize the coax digital connection is to have either a DAC (digital to analog converter) which would be extremely NOT cost effective, or a digital receiver. Post back what audio setup you have and I will be able to find a solution for you, though if you don't already have a digital receiver then you will be spending at the absolute bare minimum of $150 to get one new, maybe you would find something better used in a pawn shop or Ebay, but then you have to know what you are looking for and hope that you don't get scammed.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
what model of TV is it? It might just be a monaural audio jack. What color is the jack? Spdif jacks are typically orange, although black is not unheard of. White is typically used for monaural or left stereo, and yellow is composite video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks