What's new

"COASTER" brand theater seating - 6 seats for $1999? (1 Viewer)

Joe Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey...I have asked this on avs forum & thought I would ask it here also.....does anyone have any info on these home theater seats from Coaster Co. out of Los Angeles. There is an auction on ebay for 2 rows of 3(6 total) for $1999 with free delivery & the ad says 100% top-grain leather. I called Coaster & they too have said it "IS" 100% top-grain leather all over. This sounds too good to be true so I am looking for people who have dealt with Coaster or can verify.

thanks...

Joe

Ebay auction....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4960

Joel~Solid

Agent
Joe,

How can you tell the seats are made by Coaster? They say American Value on them. What Phone # did you call for coaster? Did you get a stock # from coaster?

Joel

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Those do look pretty nice... I'd be interested if anyone has an opinion also. I wonder what the comfort is like.

Joe Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Joel,

I e-mailed the seller & he quoted me that Coaster was the manufacturer. I called 800-221-9699....which is Coaster customer service. Originally I asked for some local dealers, but was unable to find any after the rep(Laurie) gave me 15 or so phone numbers of local dealers. So when I called back, I asked if these were leather or leather-match. The rep(Rachel) put me on hold & checked with her parts dept, then came back on & said "yep, they are top-grain leather all over". I asked her again, "are you sure its not leather-match?" she said no, they are leather. But I have been told by a Coaster dealer on AVSforum that "there is no way Coaster would have full leather because it would cost too much".
I did not get a stock number. Sorry.....

Thanks....
Joe

Joel~Solid

Agent
What is the difference between Leather and Leather match? As far as quality and durability are concerned?

I was able to get the stock #s

7537 is the black seats.
7555 is the taupe seats.

They apparently clamp together on the bottom of the seats so you can easily reconfigure the seats.

So if the seats are Leather Match would that be enough reason not to purchase the seats?

Joel

Joe Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
LEATHER-MATCH = VINYL

If I am not mistaken....
& I would prefer Leather as a first option, then Microfiber a close second, & would not consider vinyl as an option, period for the money.
Also, It wouldn't have to be full leather....it can be leather-match on everything but the seating area.....
For me it would be enough of a reason not to purchase them, because for a few hundred more I can get berklines and some other brands too I believe, in microfiber. I am sorta considering the microfiber as maybe a better option, but I do love leather....so it would be hard to not get leather....
I just wish someone had these seats....or could recommend them.
Joel, how did you find out about this info?

thanks....
Joe

Joel~Solid

Agent
I called the number above 800-221-9699 in Joe's post and talked to a guy in the "Parts Dept". He told me all of the info.

Are you sure leather match = Vinyl?

Joel

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
Typically 'leather-match' would indicate that the seating surfaces are leather and everything else (back and sides) would be something else, usually vinyl. They use vinyl in areas where you skin won't touch to reduce costs, for both you and them. When sitting in the chair you shouldn't notice the difference. However, the vinyl and leather may fade or age differently and over time could vary in hue. In a light controlled theater room this may take a number of years to become noticeable. Exposure to direct sunlight would speed things up.

I don't have any direct experience with this as I don't own any leather furniture, but this was what was explained to me when I was shopping for couches a few years ago.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the market for HT seating this year, and saw those on eBay too. The heart of the matter is, of course, what quality level do you get for that low price??

Joe Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
The reason why I am asking so many questions about leather, leather match, vinyl, etc....is because the ad says 100% top-grain leather, but there is another site that has these same seats with the same numbers(7537,7355) & it says "leather-match", while another Coaster dealer says they come in vinyl only & thats why he wasnt interested.....so I am just looking for a clear answer.
I would not care 1 bit if it was leather seating area & leather-match(vinyl) everywhere else, especially for that price. Other brands like Berkline offer the same thing....& if I do buy leather seats I am sure I will only be able to afford the leather/leather-match setup anyways...but I do not want all vinyl, I would then choose microfiber instead. It really sucks that no local furniture stores in my area(Sacramento) are a Coaster dealer, that way if I bought them & they were actually vinyl when I paid for leather I could get a refund or atleast put it towards another brand.

thanks...
Joe

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.. I wonder how much it would be to add two more seats. The people we invite over are usually in couples... rows of 4 would be more practical.

They do look like leather in the photo. Though.. I'm no upholstery expert.

I'm bookmarking this thread... I haven't even begun to build my new HT!

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I think the reason you won't find that brand at that price in a furniture store is that they are TOO inexpensive. Furniture stores have HUGE markups and a retail price like these chairs have, eliminates a retail storefront. There's not enough margin. It's like you're buying from the manufacturer or a major wholesale distributor. If you added the cost to ship to a retail store and then the retail store's markup, these chairs would not be at the price you're seeing. Buying low is all about tradeoffs: you don't get to try them out at a store (at least not at this price), but they are affordable to lots of folks who otherwise can't afford the $1,000 per seat stuff that is very common in the HT seating biz.

Joel~Solid

Agent
Ok I called again today and this is what I found out......... The seats are leather on the seating area and the arms. The leather match is only on the back of the chairs and the lower sides that you never touch. So for me I think they are totally worth it for the cost. When my theater is done I will be looking into these a lot more closely.

Joel

Joe Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Joel,
That would be totally worth it for me too....& I got a local "Coaster" dealer to order a set for himself, becuase he is interested. He now has the douglas seating & carries berkline also....but is looking for a cheaper option. I spoke with "Coaster" again today & was told that the seating will be coming in mid-April to first of May to the Distributor then another week or so to the dealer. He also said he "might" be able to get me a deal like the one online for $1999 delivered....so it sounds promising, who knows really. At least he is local. I will let everyone know how they feel if & when they come in.....
I am starting the construction of my room in 2 weeks & it is a small room(12.5' x 17') but I would like 2 rows of atleast 3 & these are appx. 94" wide & will work because I will have an aisle only on 1 side. I was considering the Berkline 088's but I didn't like the way they felt & didn't see how they connect together (no brackets just velcro).

thanks...

Joe

Joel~Solid

Agent
That is great news Joe! I live in Temecula California. Do you know how far that is from Cameron Park? I would love to see the seats in person to check them out.

Joel

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Joe, you CA guys keep us updated on those seats. After they arrive at your dealer and you try them out, please post your initial impression of them. I think the eBay site noted that there are no wedge arms available at this time. Would you ask your local dealer to find out when the wedges will be available?

Joe Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Uh, 66.8 Miles.....I don't think so. I know where Temecula is & it is about 400 miles away....Cameron Park is located between Sacramento & Lake Tahoe....The dealer I spoke of is in the Sacramento area & I went by his shop, he does carry the Douglas brand which I thought was uncomfortable....the arms are too low for me, anyways he said he "could" order the Coaster for me at the $1999 delivered, but he will not be carrying both in the showroom.....Sucks!
Also, I am leaning towards having curved seating w/ wedges so the Coaster won't work. I have sat in the Berklines 090,094 & the 088's, Lane hollywood's & also the Jonathan Lewis theater seating...I prefer the berkline 090's but they are a bit wide for my room(12.5'w X 17'd) so I am going to check out the lazyboys...they seem a bit smaller like the 088's
Sorry for the bad news on the Coasters....but I have had 2 local dealers qoute me a price of $2000 for 6 seats of the "jonathan lewis" microfiber so there are good deals to be had.....

thanks....
Joe

Joe Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
Sorry...I just took a quick look at my last reply & when I read it, I may have come off the wrong way & I Didn't mean to. My brother used to live in Temecula & we went down there to visit him & it was an 6-8 hour trip.

Hope I didn't offend anyone

Thanks....
Joe

p.s. Anyone have any comments on the "jonathan Lewis" Theater seating? I did notice they are NOT wall huggers & they recline a bit when you put the foot rest up....So I was not that impressed
Oh, Also I went to Lazyboy & got a quote for $5400(cloth) on sale for 6 seats.....what a joke!! They are nice but not that nice, I can't imagine what leather would cost.
The Berkline 088's & 090's seem to be the best bet for me, they are comfortable....the 088's are a bit small with really small arms but would fit the scale of my room better. I am leaning towards the 090's though....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks