What's new

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER is coming! Other Apted news...including SEs of Enigma & Enough! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It was Michael Apted's 14th film he directed, and his first real success box-office-wise. According to an article in this week's issue of Video Store Magazine, he is working on the DVD edition shortly of Coal Miners Daughter!! :D :
, which earned Sissy Spacek the 1980 Best Actress Academy Award, and for which he hopes the actress will join him for the audio commentary.
The entire article is titled "The More Extras, The Better, Director Says", and mentions how the just-released Enigma and the soon-to-be-released Enough are bare-bones editions, and "will arrive in spring of next year sporting loads of extras, including audio commentaries, deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes footage and other content". Read the entire article, linked to above, for details.
Cool!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Oh, God.
I hate "Coal Miner's Daughter". I honestly think it is almost completely without merit and the most overrated film of the 1980s. The fact that this came out the same year as 'Raging Bull' and 'The Elephant Man', and still got any nominations is a testament to the quality of the cocaine circulating during that time period.
I own "Coal Miner's Daughter" on a used Discovision laserdisc, because years ago $3 was the most I was willing to spend on this film after my wife begged me and begged me to get it.
Of course, she'll insist I get the DVD. But I have warned her, whenever I watch it, I get to send it up in pure MST3K style! My nickname for Loretta Lynn is 'The Hillbilly Princess'.
:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
God, Michael...thanks for bursting my bubble! :eek:
This is one of the few store-bought VHS tapes I have left to replace. I love it, and the missus loves it more.
I for one, will be pleased to get a great DVD SE of it, overrated or not! To each their own. :p) :rolleyes

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
David,
I don't think one iota less of you for liking this movie. We all have different tastes, and too each our own opinon. :)
It's what makes the world go round. I'd hate to live in a world where we all like the same thing.
But you have to admit that just knowing this got noms the same year as 'The Elephant Man' and 'Raging Bull' makes you think the world we live in must be divide up into multiple parallel universes. ;)
My wife has gone to see Loretta Lynn a couple of times. Did you know before her concerts several dozens of people walk up to the stage to pay tribute by leaving various flowers and gifts for her?
I swear I wasn't born for these times. ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Guy 1: Hear that?

Guy 2: Yeah. What is it?

Guy 1: It's the sound of a thread crap.

Guy 2: Definitely.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It's the sound of a thread crap.
Oh, give me a freaking break. :D
I said, "We all have different tastes, and too each our own opinon", and I meant it.
OK, fine.
If David is genuinely offended by my personal opinions, he can let me know and I will ask a mod to remove my posts.
And just for a bonus, here are some bad movies that I love and am willing to admit it. Everybody feel free to make fun of me; I'm not thin-skinned!
Point Break
Deathsport
Mr. Deeds
Scooby Doo
Teen Wolf
Destroy all Monsters
Trancers
Liquid Sky
Threesome
Desperately Seeking Susan.
Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down
I love them. And I know they are bad. :)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Both The Elephant Man and Raging Bull were nominated for Best Picture Oscars alongside Coal Miner's Daughter. What's the problem here? Coal Miner's Daughter hardly pushed them out of contention and itself only won for Best Actress. Since when were the Oscars the barometer for quality cinema anyway?

All three are great films, IMHO, and I'm looking forward to a Spacek commentary. Now, if someone would just release 3 Women (a commentary from Altman on that I could live without, however a commentary from the 3 actresses would be great).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Aha. Did the search on Coal, on Miner's, and on Daughter. No results that had this news, from what I could tell from the headers. Including the Enough/Enigma bit was an afterthought, long after I'd finished the search.
Well, the CMD fans like me will now see this news per the subject line, at least. :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Thanks for the news, David. Assuming this is an OAR disc, I'll be picking it up.
Geez, were there any bad movies released in 1980? :laugh:

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Tommy Lee Jones BEST performance in a movie, period.
While people in the early 90's were marveling over his performance in The Fugitive (which was good), no one can recall his CMD performance. He showed a considerable acting range in that movie, whereas these days he plays nothing more than the bad-ass shit talking vigilante. Nothing wrong with that.
In order to keep this thread respectable, we won't discuss Firebirds.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Brian, you nailed it with your description of Tommy Lee Jones' performance in that film. He hit just about every emotion possible, didn't he? And carried it off so well...you believed him in the role.
He hasn't stopped being a good actor, but he's never had a role as meaty as that since then. Excellent work...he should have been recognized for it more! However, all he got was a GG nomination. "Mooney" deserved better!!!
Thanks for bringing it up. Oh, and kudos to Bevery D'Angelo as Patsy Cline, too. An awesome departure for her...something else only recognized by a GG nom. :frowning:

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Just to go one step further, NO-ONE in CMD sucked. Every actor did a superb job and it is all very memorable.
Now go ask "Clary"

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Any word on whether the Enigma SE will have a decent transfer. Rented the current release and it looks like pixelized VHS--I mean truly terrible.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I can't wait for Coal Miner's Daugher. I love it. The performances, the music, the sense of time and place. I love the vision she has of her father. That's the scene I remember most.
You sure you don't just hate southerners, Michael? ;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I love Coal Miner's Daughter too, and if I had a husband who insisted on Mistying it instead of just leaving me alone to watch it in peace, he wouldn't BE my husband for very frigging long. Luckily my husband is polite and lets me watch movies I love that he doesn't without interjecting his own opinion.
Great acting, great music, great cinematography, great everything. This is one of those near-perfect movies (though right off hand, I can't think of anything that *isn't* perfect about it).
kudos to Bevery D'Angelo as Patsy Cline, too
Yes! I remember when I heard that there was going to be a movie about Patsy Cline, how disappointed I was that Beverly D'Angelo wasn't going to play Patsy. Of course, Ms. Lange ended up doing a fairly nice job. :D
I want a duel commentary with Sissy AND Loretta! Please let it be so.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I want a duel commentary with Sissy AND Loretta! Please let it be so.
That would be cool! Y'Know, I think that would succeed in selling a boatload of extra copies of the disc, too. People who never *considered* listening to a commentary track might just check it out, if this was properly promoted.

Don't forget, though: Apted is sure to be on the commentary track, too, from what the article said.

Closing thought: supplements on this should include footage of Loretta Lynn herself singing out her tunes (whether from concerts, any music videos she might have done during that era, or just from TV show appearances on like "Hee-Haw", "Good Ole Nashville Music", or whatever). It would be great for purchasers of this disc to be able to compare the film's version of the star to the real deal, and see just how accurately they managed to reflect Lynn herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks