What's new

Closed Threads (1 Viewer)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Why are threads now being closed with no moderator explanation? Most are obvious, but this seems to be lack of courtesy and seems to be not in line with communication of what is wrong with threads? This seems like a strange move.
These threads were opened innocently, it seems.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
How about some links to examples, Roger?
Thanks,
Steve

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
There must be some sort of mass hallucination going on here, because I noticed the same thing. However, when I started checking closed threads for this, I only found 4:
Billy Graham's Speech at the National Cathedral (obviously political)
What it's like to live in Afghanistan under the Taliban... (obviously political)
keepcase for Total Recall SE? (repeated topic)
WTC disaster on DVD?
-Mike
------------------
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.
void *: Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.

(edited to fix spelling error)
[Edited last by MikeSerrano on September 20, 2001 at 12:03 PM]

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks, Mike. I would think that the context under which these threads were closed is fairly self-explanatory. If there is a thread in particular that is at issue, please let us know.
- Steve

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Steve, the thread that prompted my post was "keepcase for Total Recall SE". My guess is that this was closed because there was another thread on the subject. It would have been useful to reference that other thread. I will need to search, but there were a couple of other threads closed in recent days that were not related to the 911 tragedy. To me, it appeared that there might be some new policy among the moderators. My personal opinion is that a short note as to why closed is desirable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Roger,
In the closed thread there was already a link provided by a member to the other well-established thread. Also, regarding policy regarding thread closures well for the most part we do give a reason for closure but it is stated in the AH description that thread closures can occur without explanation.
Crawdaddy
------------------

CameronS

Supporting Actor
There was one thread in After Hours that members posted pictures, comics, and other images relating to the terrorist attacks.
I can't find it. I wondered if it was deleted rather than closed.
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
ok nevermind
[Edited last by Steve Felix on September 20, 2001 at 11:26 PM]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, John your post was one of the reasons I closed the thread. I didn't want the thread turning into a political rally. This is still a home theater related forum.
Crawdaddy
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great I feel like the trouble maker in class now! What did I say that the other posters didn't?
------------------
GOD BLESS THE USA and GOD BLESS THE MEN AND WOMAN OF OUR MILITARY AND THEIR FAMILIES!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John,
I said you were one of the reasons which means there were other posts that contributed to the thread closure but since you posted about it's closure here I addressed your concern as to why I closed it.
Crawdaddy
------------------

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Robert, you can check but there was not a link in the referenced thread. There are indeed threads being closed without explanation.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Curious: Why was the "Thank you Peter Staddon" thread in "Software" closed? (My guess: No singling out of individuals in thread titles.)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I clicked and it said it was moved to the manufacturer feedback forum or something.
I have indeed seen fairly innocuous threads closed without appearing to move anywhere and with no mod. post at the end. I just presumed that the final poster had closed the thread but I guess it has to be a mod.
I'd guess if you want to post to a thread that's been closed you can open a new one to ask the question. If there's a dark motive behind the closure I'm sure you'll uncover it! If you don't want to post then I guess it doesn't matter... :)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Very often a thread will appear closed when in fact it has merely been moved to another area. The Peter Staddon thread mentioned above is a case in point. If you open the thread, you'll see a message at the top saying
"Note: This topic has been transferred to this forum: Studio & Manufacturer Feedback
Clicking on that link will take you to the new thread.
Since the terrorist attacks, we have been closing and even deleting a lot more threads than usual. There is a guideline in After Hours about these topics so I don't need to repeat them here. Any thread that crosses the line will be closed, usually without an explanation.
If there's a particular thread you are concerned about, then by all means ask one of the mods (don't start another thread saying 'where did it go?' though), but it's difficult to comment on any one instance when there is none given.
------------------
"We shall never surrender"
Winston Churchill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks