What's new

close to buying a refurbished Philips 34PW8520 (1 Viewer)

RobertCO

Auditioning
Is anyone here running this TV? I currently own a 32" Sony VVEGA that I love however I need a digital TV now for my HTPC :D I found this particular phillips model on ebay for sale through electronicsnation.com for only $1200. This seems like an incredible deal but before I go for it has anyone had bad experiences buying refurbished electronics? I'm not even sure exactly what that means.

Also does anyone have any comments on the quality of this TV? All the reviews I've read up to this point have been really good.

And finally, I noticed that it doesn't have the 3-2 pulldown feature. Is that a really important feature? I understand the basic concept of it but to be honest I dont know THAT much about HDTV's. The main reason I'm getting it is because I'd LOVE to have a WS for all my DVD's and I have this new computer I built and no monitor other than my VVEGA which leaves much to be desired when it comes to anything other than playing games.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

RobertCO

Auditioning
BTW I will be running a progressive scan DVD player with it -Sony DVPNS700P- and hopefully eventually use my HTPC as a DVD player, but thats after I learn more about that.

And oh yeah, what do you think a fair price to sell my Sony KV-32FS13 with the real Sony stand. I paid $850 for the TV and $180 for the stand exactly one year ago, so a lil over $1100 together. Both the stand and TV are of course in perfect condition so any input on that matter would be greatly apprecated as well.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The price sounds too steep to me. I'm no expert but Circuit City is advertising a new Panasonic 47" HTDV monitor for $1400.

Luke*Ho

Grip
I have this t.v. and absolutely love it! The picture is amazing. I am still learning the different features. The price you are quoted is fantastic! I paid retail at the local REX. You can buy larger RPTVs for less, but they are projection. This is a tube and looks great. My only complaints so far is that it is extremly heavy--166lbs. Be careful moving it. You can't do it by yourself unless you are a weightlifter. My other complaint is that there is only one HD component input for 480p/1080i. Other than that I am very pleased. I am using a Philips 724AT progressive scan DVD player and the quality of my DVD movies is truly amazing. Have fun. Can't comment on buying from an internet dealer. At that price, it may be a refurbished model.

RobertCO

Auditioning
OK I sold my VVEGA so I'm very close to buying this Philips. Could anyone give me any more information about this TV or the source or even experiences with refurbished items in general?

PhilD

Auditioning
Did you end up buying the Philips? If so, how was your experience. I am looking at that one too because of the great price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks