What's new

Clerks X-MIA in Canada? (1 Viewer)

jon_farthing

Agent
Had this ordered in the UK from playusa.com. The order tracking showed it initially being in stock and awaitng dispatch, then out of stock, and now shows the disc as being due for release on 21 September. Having previously received the canadian Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back from this site I have now cancelled my order and re-ordered elsewhere.

Just a word of warning for any other UK members who have ordered from this site.

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
I also posted this on the alliance sucks thread too.

Looks like the Clerks release will be in an amaray case from the look of the flyer I got in the paper today and also posted on the futureshop.ca site.So no digipak on this release lol.Boy am I glad I ordered the import dvd from amazon.ca!!

Here's the link to the flyer...the real flyer is more easy to see it's an amaray case.Boy that's why they are only charging $25.99 for a 3 dvd set!!
http://flyers.futureshop.ca/perl/fly...&image_id=6334

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

I believe if Amazon finds out that so many people are unhappy with the product their putting out and they are all ordering American imports online from Amazon.ca that Alliance Atlantis will "flex" their authority and cut this method of purchasing DVD titles other then theirs off. As might be expected Alliance Atlantis will probably not want to change or improve their business practices or product but, instead deprive Canadians the chance to obtain the similar product elsewhere if they are dissatisfied because this is the way they operate. Alliance Atlantis has proven that they do not care about the consumers only their profits and if they have to mistreat us by denying everybody from having the ability to order American DVDs from Amazon.ca then they will.

I hate Alliance Atlantis with a passion just like everyone else on this forum but, Seville and TVA as well as other Canadian distributors are awful with similar difficulties and disabilities that Alliance Atlantis shares. This is worth mentioning. Although I realize these Canadian distributors do not release even half as much DVDs and are not as prominent.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I don't believe NAFTA would allow AA to stop sales of U.S. DVD's in Canada. AA's profit for the last year wouldn't even begin to cover their costs if they wanted to make a serious challenge. I also suspect they make a good buck selling their other "products" in the U.S. You can make corporate distribution agreements, but they can't supercede any higher law, which NAFTA is.

As mentioned in the "other" thread, I think we are an extremely small minority who care, and we lose sight of that in a community of people who do care.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon are a BIG company. If the market is there, I can't see Amazon rolling over for AA.

Regarding the Clerks packaging, despite being a DVD nut, I'm not up on the different packaging. Can someone explain the differences Louis mentioned on the Clerks packaging, preferably using small words and links to pictures:) I've ordered the import version, which I'm guessing is a good thing:) But I'd like to know just how badly Canadian purchasers are getting screwed on the packaging.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator

If they do, I will contact Miramax, New Line and the other studios AA distributes here in Canada and COMPLAIN (I did this with New Line a couple of years ago, as I was upset that it took 8 WEEKS to get more copies of Blade 2 for my store - distributors were sold out. New Line listened). Alliance can certainly *try* to stop me from importing a copy from the USA so I wish them good luck. Regardless, I doubt they care anyway - it's not their own product and for everyone who imports, there are hundreds/thousands of customers who will buy a copy here in Canada. AA just market and distribute someone else's DVDs. I really wish Warner would handle New Line DVDs (like they do in the USA - owned by the same company) and Buena Vista for all Miramax stuff.

I hear now Resident Evil: Apocalypse will be an AA DVD as it's been theatrically by AA. I heard it's a sore spot with Columbia TriStar.

Have a good weekend!

Christian

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

1. Where did you hear this?

2. Why did this come to be?

3. Is this a sign that Alliance Atlantis is going to perminantly distribute all Columbia TriStar titles theatrically and on DVD in Canada?

4. Is this a one time deal that will not apply to other Columbia Tristar titles in the future?

5. The original Resident Evil was not distributed by Alliance Atlantis in any capacity. Then why is the sequel?

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I think the best thing I can do is check out the disk when it streets and compare it to my Amazon version.

Only problem with ordering from Amazon.com... Customs. If they decide to screw you (of course you could pay for gift wrapping as insurance against that), you're few dollars more DVD could become very pricey indeed.

Ordering from .ca, the import version cost me $5 more than the domestic. Happy to pay that if it means AA get no money. (Of course Miramax are no better with their many planned Kill Bill releases, but that's another thread:))

Mark McLeod

Second Unit

No Alliance won't be distributing all Columbia Tristar DVDS or theatrical releases.

Re:A is an Alliance release in Canada due to the fact it's a co-production. One of the film's production companies is Canadian and part of their deal was they got to sell the Canadian rights to whomever. They chose Alliance.

It only applies to this sequel. Not sure why, but that's what the Alliance publicity rep here told be when I asked why it was a Alliance release and not Tristar.

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
I just hope that the Resident Evil: Apocolypse DVD has all of the same special features and audio tracks that the U.S version will contain when it is released in Canada and will not be sort some sort of barebones release. It could be something even worse like an Alliance Atlantis produced version if they can't obtain the Canadian rights to the Columbia Tristar special features. There will also, inevitably be multiple versions of this DVD (as exhibited by the original Resident Evil DVD) released by Columbia Tri-Star so I am also worried that Alliance Atlantis will produce or distribute only one final version and that's all.

If it turns out I like the movie (I haven’t seen it yet so I don't know) then I am going to import from Amazon.ca if Alliance Atlantis pulls off the same sort of crafty deception again like they have demonstrated before.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'd rather have Clerks X in a keepcase (at a cheaper price too) than in a digipack, anyday. Assuming the content is identical of course, and that it will be coming in a keepcase (i.e. not just a conjured up pic in the FS flyer). Geez, usually people are complaining about digipacks and how cheap and flimsy they are, especially AA's cardboard creations.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm really looking forward to finding out what the differences between these two releases is. As long as the features are identical actually, I don't really care about the packaging, and would happily pay $26 for the set (esp. since the import would be $34+ shipping). Of course, this is probably going to be missing all of the commentaries...

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

The commentaries will probably still be on the Clerks X DVD and most likely won't be elimintated but, knowing Alliance Atlantis Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes will have to be dubbed speaking in French! :D

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and just received word that Alliance has delayed the release of Clerks until October 5.

Christian

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

By the time this DVD is ready to be released by Alliance Atlantis it will already be Clerks 30th anniversary and we will be watching it in HD on Blue Ray Disc. :angry:

That is unless of coarse you resort to importing online. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks