What's new

Cleopatra (1 Viewer)

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
Sorry for any confusion, but I was just stating that Fox inserted the main title music as the entr'acte instead of having North compose an original intermezzo track (as is usually done). I didn't mean to infer that the blu-ray contains the wrong music, or isn't true to the theatrical presentation. Also, I confirmed last night that this UK blu-ray is indeed region A, B and C compatible. I played it on my Momitsu-899 in the region 1 setting, but also tested it on a Samsung region A player connected to an NTSC TV and it played without problem. So if you're in a hurry to see this, you don't have to wait for a US release.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
TheVid said:
Sorry for any confusion, but I was just stating that Fox inserted the main title music as the entr'acte instead of having North compose an original intermezzo track (as is usually done). I didn't mean to infer that the blu-ray contains the wrong music, or isn't true to the theatrical presentation. Also, I confirmed last night that this UK blu-ray is indeed region A, B and C compatible. I played it on my Momitsu-899 in the region 1 setting, but also tested it on a Samsung region A player connected to an NTSC TV and it played without problem. So if you're in a hurry to see this, you don't have to wait for a US release.
I'm sure that the powers that be at Fox as well as the Director and Composer agreed to utilize the Caesar/Cleopatra theme as the Entr'acte track and that any other music would not fit.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by TheVid

Purists have a right to complain, but it's not too much of an inconvenience with a dual-disc set playing in a home theater - after the intermission card, quests can shuffle around, do their thing, and the second disc can be loaded once everyone is re-seated - instantly going into the burial montage that starts the second half.

There is a reason to complain. The Entr'acte music was to set the mood for the second half of a picture and not be used as exit music to the restroom. I allows the viewers to settle back down and get comfortable again for the rest of the epic. Now you can stop the player after the intermission card, then restart when everyone is back then when it is over, stop the player eject the disc then put disc 2 and wait for it to load.

This might not be a big thing to some people, but to me it is. It misses the programing experience people had watching the film in theatres.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
ahollis said:
There is a reason to complain. The Entr'acte music was to set the mood for the second half of a picture and not be used as exit music to the restroom. I allows the viewers to settle back down and get comfortable again for the rest of the epic.  Now you can stop the player after the intermission card, then restart when everyone is back then when it is over, stop the player eject the disc then put disc 2 and wait for it to load.  This might not be a big thing to some people, but to me it is.  It misses the programing experience people had watching the film in theatres. 
Absolutely. What if someone is only watching one act a day? Bottom line is Fox got it wrong. They Foxed it up again. They need to set up a program to replace the discs like they did with the first DVD Special Edition of Cleopatra when they left the Exit Music off. But jeez between that and West Side Story, when will they ever learn? Is Fox's Homevid department management SO transitory that they can't learn enough not to repeat their past mistakes? (sigh)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
When it arrives, I will definitely watch the film in it's entirety. I normally set a day aside and run the projector for 10 hours which allows time for at least four movies.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
GMpasqua said:
Is it at all possible, the reason the music appears on disc one and not disc two is due to time? "Cleopatra" is a long film. Maybe putting the music on disc one frees up space to increase space on the second disc (and increased bit rate) Didn't SONY do something similar with "Lawrence of Arabia" (DVD) The intermission comes about 10 minutes into the start of disc two. I would prefer to have the music on disc one if placing it on disc two compromises the image. 
Blu Ray has a much bigger capacity for detail on each disc as you know. How long is the Entracte? Couple minutes? Less than five, likely two or three at most. And there is no motion visually, so if three minutes of audio with a static visual is enough to compromise the quality they are doing something wrong. The industry sells us each new format by promising us the convenience of not having to flip or swap discs for a long movie. The movie is what it is, including the running time and placement of presentation music. They need to present it right and get over it. If you're going to put something on two discs, you damn well better break it at the intermission and begin Act/Disc 2 with the Entracte. Let's stop allowing them excuses for Foxing it up. I'm inclined to produce a PSA for roadshow presentation the way Scorcese and Ebert did for letterboxing and send it to all the studios and post it on youtube.

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
Paul Rossen said:
I'm sure that the powers that be at Fox as well as the Director and Composer agreed to utilize the Caesar/Cleopatra theme as the Entr'acte track and that any other music would not fit.
'Tis true...but if I were in Zanuck's place - hahaha - I would have asked North to create a second-act cue that started with a minor reference to the "Caesar/Cleo Theme" (dirge-like) and then segue into the "Ambition Theme" to start the second act (Caesar's dead and Cleopatra returns as Queen bitch of the universe on a barge). :cool:

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
trajan said:
Has anyone contacted FOX? This needs to be fixed.
...and for the US release, I want a 50th Anniversary box with a nice programme replica, international poster art cards - what else? A miniature Liz bust? It needs to be extravagant for double dippers.

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
I don't need a program reprint in the set since I already have an origional 1963 program autographed by Roddy McDowall. I met him in 1996 when he starred in a touring company of Dail M for Murder. He was very kind and talked with me for 15 minutes at the after show party. He was very pleased I loved and respected the film Cleopatra. A lovely man who is greatly missed.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Just watched the Blu Ray of CLEOPATRA......It is an absolutely spectacular transfer. Although I've seen the film many times...it was as if I was watching it for the first time...stunning!!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I don't have the UK Blu-ray, I'm going to wait it out for the US one -- but this evening I briefly reviewed how the Entr'Acte plays out on the DVD, being on the end of Disc 1 there as well. It's just plain WRONG, and it's disheartening to contemplate the prospect of this not getting fixed for the eventual US Blu-ray release.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TheVid said:
...and for the US release, I want a 50th Anniversary box with a nice programme replica, international poster art cards - what else? A miniature Liz bust? It needs to be extravagant for double dippers.
By the way, last time I saw a movie at Graumans' Chinese they had the Ten Commandments next to the butter and napkins, and across the Lobby was Cleopatra's head, neck and wrist ornaments (from her big entrance).

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I keep being tempted to go ahead and get the UK Blu-ray in spite of the asinine placement of the Entr'Acte on Disc 1. Hoping against hope for a correction on the US release.

Who can we write to with our polite but urgent requests that this correction be made?

In the meantime, I picked up a few good secondhand film books yesterday, the prize catch being the first printing of "The Cleopatra Papers - A Private Correspondence" for a whopping four bucks. Looking forward to an entertaining and educational read.

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
I did the same thing and ordered a hardcover copy of THE CLEOPATRA PAPERS off Amazon in very good condition for 12 bucks. There were some interesting excerpts from the book in the blu-ray special features that made me want to read the whole thing.

Real Name
Anthony
Then again, if you have two players, you can use the Entr'acte to load the second disc. You may even have time to get some ice-cream. :P

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Okay, I could do the same, using the existing DVD. The compromise is the insane number of seconds it takes my Pioneer receiver to switch between sources, so it wouldn't exactly be a presentation-quality seamless switchover. Not that any home video equipment I've ever known has been designed for any such sophisticated switching and/or cueing up...

Mister-Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Quigley
>"The titles are somewhat desaturated..." Is this a fancy way of saying "you can hardly read some of the titles?" My copy of the first disc of the 3-disc DVD set has gone missing, so I can't compare, unfortunately. The stand-alone music like the overture to me doesn't seem to have a wide stereo spread, though, again, finding that first DVD disc would help. Certain not as "beefy" a sound as the overture in the Blu-Ray Ben-Hur, anyway. The position of the entr'acte at the end of disc one is the same as the DVD release (>that< I remember) ... which is stupid, I agree. But the image quality and the color are absolutely stunning throughout. Here is a shot of the back cover of the UK release: http://www.mjq.net/misc/cleopatra.jpg By the way, the Japanese box set costs an arm and a leg through HMV: 4,724 yen, which is a saving of 1,256 yen off the original price! This is about $58.20 US, though this release does have some fancy booklet included (see the picture in an earlier message). The current price at Amazon.co.uk is 11.19 pounds, which works out to $17.77 US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks