What's new

Blu-ray Review Cleopatra (1963) Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

jseabough

Agent
Real Name
james seabough
Attended a screening of CLEOPATRA yesterday at the Cinemark Theatre here in Kansas City. Film looked beautiful. So great to see an original road show (I first saw this at the Ambassador Theatre in St. Louis when I was 14) being treated like a road show. Overture, intermission, entr' acte, exit music. Everything but the programs for sale in the lobby... oh, and the ushers and reserved seats of course! ;) But it was a great afternoon. Have the blu ray on order. Looking forward to re watching the two hour documentary that I recall as being very entertaining. The Joe Hyams/ Walter Wagner book "My Life with CLEOPATRA" is getting a reissue in June.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Have been looking for that book forever. I have read it and used to own the paperback but it got lost along the way.just preordered the kindle version!

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Can anyone confirm whether or not the directional dialogue is present on the US BD of Cleopatra?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
For those in love with Burton's voice you should have a listen to Jeff Wayne's Musical version of War of the Worlds.It's basically an early 70's progressive rock version of the story with Burton's buttery smooth narration.Anyway. I watched part one the other night and thought it was pretty good and image looked great too. A shame Great Escape doesn't look as good as this one.Watched about 15 minutes of part 2 but had to pause for some other things.The digi book is very nice. Glossy cover and a terrific looking slip box to hold it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Lromero1396 said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the directional dialogue is present on the US BD of Cleopatra?
Seems like it is to me.

Specific at about 30 mnutes into pt 2 Roddy M. Is speaking to another person and the audio follows them as they move around.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Had never watched this movie because I had always heard and read that it was a total dog of a movie. Watched the whole shebang last night because of reviews here, and to my surprise, it was a much better movie than I thought it would be, and the presentation, at least to my eye, was top notch.

Picked it up at Sam's for 14.99

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
This Is is one of those bloated, overbudgeted movies, like Fox' earlier bluray, Hello Dolly!, where the films themselves seem to improve once all their behnd-the-cameras notoriety becomes water under the bridge. In both cases, the money wound up on the screen, which, in Cleopatra's case, is astonishing, considering all the wasted effort put into the stuff that was scrapped. Even allowing for the aborted London footage, all the overhead charges foisted upon it due to Fox's shutdown, all the costs due to the various delays and everything else charged against its budget, it STILL looks like it cost $40 million.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
TonyD said:
For those in love with Burton's voice you should have a listen toJeff Wayne's Musical version of War of the Worlds.It's basically an early 70's progressive rock version of the storywith Burton's buttery smooth narration.Anyway. I watched part one the other night and thought it was pretty good andimage looked great too. A shame Great Escape doesn't look as good as this one.Watched about 15 minutes of part 2 but had to pause for some other things.The digi book is very nice. Glossy cover and a terrific looking slip box to hold it.
What does The Great Escape have to do with a 65mm large format film - of course it doesn't look like a Todd-AO film, how could it?

I can confirm that the transfer is exactly the same as the UK Blu-ray. I'm not in love with all the color on this disc and therefore could not give it as high a rating as others - sometimes it looks fine, other times a bit too brown.

Real Name
Ramon
unfortunately, the colors in this have been altered, like it is the modern custom, so no, the colors of this bluray are not even remotely accurate and are purely revisionist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks