What's new

Cleaning pots (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I know how to clean dishes, :D

I am talking about potentiometers, i recently picked up a Crown IC 150 Pre Amp off of Ebay and the Volume pot is rather scratchy and i was wondering if this is can be a little DIY project, i would love to save the 200 bucks it would cost me to ship it to a service center (NY is the closest one).

Thanks in advance

Allen Ross

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
scratchy? If you can get to it and pull it out, you could test it to find its max and min resistance then find a good replacement. Worst case scenario is you have to solder the original back in.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
there's static for a short time when i turn up the volume, or adjust the balance, or panorama.

are the different types of pots, grades of quality? like resistors? if so can anyone recommend any?

BTW thanks for the quick response

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
How about doing the ole WD40 trick. Buy a can, use the red, plastic straw it comes with to spray into the pot.

To get access, either remove the knob and see if you can see entry holes into the pot from the front. If not, open the case and see if you can spray in from the back. Then rotate the knob back and forth to distribute the cleaner well.

You could also use electrical contact cleaner spray.

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
I also have used both WD-40 and contact cleaner to refurbish the pots in a pair of AR-3 speakers. It took some time, but they now work like new. I had to remove the 12 woofers to get to them, but once I had access to them, they came back to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks