What's new

Cleaning DVDs. (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
For dust, dirt and oil, I just use my shirt. It works good.

I've never scratched any of my discs yet though.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Paper, except microscope lens paper, is abrasive to glass and plastic surfaces, which is why you never want to use it on eyeglasses or optical discs. Cleaning advice for DVDs is just like that for LDs except for size; some sources recommend wiping radially, some recommend little circular motions. Polishing can remove scratches, but unless you do it with a multistage metallurgical grinder it adds smaller scratches, which are more likely to cause mistracking than the big ones as they approach diffraction-grating dimensions. In any case, wiping with a lint-free cotton rag moistened with warm water, or in the worst case running water over the disc [being careful to keep it away from the centre hole] and then wiping dry, is the preferred procedure; hot water is seldom necessary. Be sure to use a cloth which is free of fabric softener, because it wuill discolour the surface, and rubbing alcohol [isopropanol] can have the same effect; on LDs the disc remains playable, but DVD is more delicate and the thin substrate makes poisoning the data layer easier. PM me for a copy of Bob Niland's LD FAQ article for this topic, if you want it.

Erik Pontius

Stunt Coordinator
In my work we are constantly handling (perhaps mishandling) DVD's. They have a tendency to get scratches and swirl marks, along with figerprints over time.
On a wim I picked up one of those goofy looking DVDdr http://www.digitalinnovations.com/
I took a pretty badly scratched and scuffed disc that couldn't be played properly. I used the device and after a few times through the disc played (plus you get buff yourself from turning the crank so many times). It basically just polishes off a thin layer of the surface of the disc, a little more each time you run the disc through it. It won't do any wonders (and doesn't claim to) to cracks or label side damage or really, really deep gouges. It's method of polishing might be a little different than other manufacturer's in that it polishes from the center out to the edge, the disc sits perpendicular to the axis of the polishing wheel...
I picked mine up from Fry's for $30, might be worth it for you if you buy a lot of pre-viewed discs from rental houses.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I use a microfiber cloth used for cleaning glass lenses and it works great. I use it on my HDTV's screen as well. You can get one at Wal-Mart for like $5.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
For dirty DVDs with fingerprints and such, I'll just use a soft towel. Heh, and for ones with scratches I'll use the same thing I use on my truck--ScratchOut. Works like a charm.

Oh yeah, I can hear the screams of horror already...:rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks