Cleaning a Cement Patio?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Johnny Angell, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I've had a hose laying on it for a year and some figures that have discolored or stained it. The surface looks likes its been sealed or "painted". What would be the best way to clean this?

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

A power washer. You can rent one or buy one, but make sure you get a good one. I used to use one on my parent's pool area and it will take out just about any stain possible.

3. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Go to the hardware store and get some Muratic Acid....

Thank me later

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    That won't harm the seal or "paint" already on the concret? I'm wondering if the power washer might not take off the seal too.

I should mention that the patio is small and the discolored area even smaller. It wouldn't be a big deal to scrub it with a solution of something? I've heart white vinegar is good.

Speaking of the power washer, I've got a long drivway that could use a good cleaning.

5. David Blair

David Blair Stunt Coordinator

You could try a bleach/water solution or maybe Simple Green.

6. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

You are really aquiring some major outdoor power tools this year, Johnny!
    Iv'e never used Muratic Acid but if it is painted, it might take it off, try something less caustic, like Krud Kutter first, and even then the paint may peel a bit. You can adjust the spray down at first.

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Well, the lawnmower and the trimmer are it for this season. If I do the power washer it will be a rental.

8. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I rented one the first time but because I had a Mustang at the time, it was a pain to get it home without help from my brother. It cost $100 for the time I had it and a new one was $400 so I "did the math" and bought one at Home Depot. I have used it more than I would have thought. My old house had vinyl siding and a long driveway that needed cleaning before we sold it and my new house has a pool w/ concrete deck. I have really gotten my money's worth with it.

9. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

muriatic acid is a 30% Hydrocloric Acid solution so it might take off any coating on the concrete. You could dilute it further but it may be to strong for you to use.

10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Last night I tried scrubbing a very small area of the patio with a paper towel dabbed in white vinegar. I also dabbed a bit on a spot without scrubbing. This was undiluted vinegar.

This morning I can see that the scrubbed spot is cleaner and neither it nor the dabbed spot have been discolored or damaged in any way.

But I'm looking at my driveway and its a long one. I'm starting to think about a power sprayer. I'll have to price a rental.