What's new

CLD-99 Sharpness Control (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a technical explanation regarding the Sharpness control of the Pioneer ELITE CLD-9 laserdisc player, particularly in comparison to conventional sharpness adjustments?
To elaborate, when adjusting Sharpness on my RPTV ghosting appears beside or horizontal to the test pattern lines when the control is set too high. However, when adjusting the Sharpness control on my CLD-99 (using the same pattern from Video Essentials) excessive levels introduce ringing above or vertical to the test pattern lines. Obviously both settings are at the point just below the introduction of high frequency peaking. How is the CLD-99's Sharpness setting acting differently? I ended up with it set at +3.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Bjeorn's discussion makes note of monitor sharpness adjustments in the horizontal plane in contrast to EE impact in all planes. But it doesn't really address the difference in hardware detail adjustments in the vertical plane, which is where my interest lies. His site is excellent for the EE discussion, although he's missing the worst culprit I've ever seen - Stargate. An awful transfer with incredibly ugly edge enhancement, particularly on the shots against the desert. Nasty. I can't even watch it.
...does your cld99 make a sqeaky noise when first spinning up a laserdisc?
When I first got it (B-stock) it started squeaking after running for several minutes. I ended up getting the motor replaced and now it plays eerily quiet start to finish, much moreso than the CLD-79 it replaced. You have to go pretty close to hear it running.
------------------
--Jay
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
When did you get the CLD-99?
Quite a while ago - I've just been too lazy to destroy the rack to replace the CLD-79. It is absolutely an improvement over the previous player. Images are slightly sharper with less noise. Colors seem more vivid as well. I debated a short while ago about ordering a new Pioneer L8 (or whatever they're called) from Japan - supposed to be amazing. But for US$1600 I just can't justify it. Money better spent elsewhere in the system, or better yet towards the dedicated theater hopefully beginning development later next year.
------------------
--Jay

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jay, it's the LD-S9. Although it's a dedicated LD player, it's quite similar to the 99. It has a more advanced comb filter. It produces better colour than the 99. In the Japanese line-up, a player very similar to the 99 is the next player below it. Rob G. has one. Trivia..... I keep my sharpness in the standard settings on both my 99 and S9. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I've asked others this question, but for some additional feedback I'll ask you guys aswell.
How did you like the change from the 79 to the 99? How much of an improvement was it?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
It is absolutely an improvement over the previous player. Images are slightly sharper with less noise. Colors seem more vivid as well.
Given the quality of the comb filter you have at your disposal the differences could range from my thoughts above to absolutely night-and-day-can't-live-without-a-CLD-99.
The CLD-79's comb filter, well, sucks. It delivers a wide array of dot crawl and moire artifacts. In other words its S-video output has limited appeal. Now, if your monitor has a quality 3D or 2D comb filter (or you use an external filter like the Crystal Vision VPS-1) you will achieve much better results when using the player's composite connection. If, however, you are dealing with average to poor external filters than you are compromised either way. The good news is that most new TVs have very good 3D comb filters. The Crystal Vision is a fantastic external 2D filter that eliminates all dot crawl for super-fine edges (even better than the CLD-99 IMO), but being 2D does not address moire artifact.
In contrast, the CLD-99's excellent 3D comb filter wipes away those fears. Use the S-video connection and you will have a sharper, better defined image with fewer artifacts (in addition to lower video noise and better color as outlined above).
The quality of the comb filter will make or break your laserdisc experience. If you aren't equipped with a good external filter without question go with the CLD-99. If your monitor does have a current 3D filter than you could go with either model, with the edge going to the 99 for its higher signal-to-noise ratio and improved colors.
------------------
--Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks