What's new

Classic Westerns (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No one else was annoyed by that kid??? That might be the most annoying child performance ever for me. And Alan Ladd's low key quiet performance? Again I'm watching this with 2016 eyes and don't have the benefit of nostalgia. Perhaps if I saw it 30 years ago my reaction would have been different.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nope, not here. It's up there with the best. Not for the 'slam bang thank you m'am' crowd though.
Most of the classic westerns I've been watching are not in that crowd either and I have enjoyed pretty much all of them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And I'm not trying to slam SHANE in any way. Just looking for differing opinions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No one else was annoyed by that kid??? That might be the most annoying child performance ever for me. And Alan Ladd's low key quiet performance? Again I'm watching this with 2016 eyes and don't have the benefit of nostalgia. Perhaps if I saw it 30 years ago my reaction would have been different.
Well, that's the problem Tino! I was Joey's age the first time I watch Shane, 50 odd years ago.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just finished William Wyler's THE BIG COUNTRY.

Another fine film with great scenery and terrific performances across the board. Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Chuck Connors, Charlton Heston and especially Burl Ives. His entrance into the film was awesome!

Loved how it was pretty much an anti-violence western. Terrific film.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
So.....anyone else share my feeling about SHANE and think it's overrated?

No, it's a huge movie for me, that expertly captures most of my favorite themes. Sodbusters (homesteaders) versus cattle drivers on the open range, in the waning days of the age of gunfighters. I still get a little choked up during the scene of the burning house, when all the homesteaders rally and says "We'll rebuild it. And if they burn it down we'll rebuild it again together." The emotion expressed during that scene is as close as it gets to my worldview. And I think the first killing by Palance (that Conferederate guy, jerked by by wires) is powerful. This movie was full of greatness, about he savagery of gun violence, but the occasional necessity for a good guy who's even better than the bad guys.

The kid is annoying, but the whole movie is shot from his vantage point, practically.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

Another fine film with great scenery and terrific performances across the board. Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Chuck Connors, Charlton Heston and especially Burl Ives. His entrance into the film was awesome!

I love The Big Country too, Tino, and agree with your comment about terrific performances across the board.

Burl Ives was an absolute revelation... and for me, this was Charlton Heston's finest performance. I'm very grateful that despite his star status, he was willing to take on a (pivotal) supporting role and produce such a memorable performance, which rang true at every turn.

Many years after falling in love with this film, I read that it was William Wyler's analogous commentary on the Cold War ...and that there was more than a little warfare on set between co-producers Gregory Peck and Wyler in terms of the script and direction. For all that, this film turned out superbly and remains a personal favourite. [...albeit, lacking a Frankie Lane chug-a-lug...]

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I grew up watching westerns on Saturday tv (shows, movies, etc). I have enjoyed them all, but I didn;t know anything about this one until Wal-Mart had the bluray exclusive.

I read the cast listing and I enjoy all the participants, so I made a blind buy. Best $10.00 I ever invested in a movie. I was captivated from the opening notes of the theme to the final frame. Excellent story and performances from all involved. I felt so sorry for Burl Ives character, had stronger moral fiber than his son.

A great movie that I introduced to others this year. Their reaction was the same as I had, amazement.

Last edited:

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
The great Leo Grin wrote a seven part series discussing the history and personalities involved in the making of the movie SHANE. That was over six years ago and many of the links don't work, but the text is still there.

FOR CONSERVATIVE MOVIE LOVERS: Jack Schaefer, George Stevens, and 'Shane'---

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm with Tino, I find SHANE at least a bit overrated. It is worth a viewing, but I don't need it on BD or so.
But I know that my father has a different opinion about it. He loves it.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I love The Big Country too, Tino, and agree with your comment about terrific performances across the board.

Burl Ives was an absolute revelation... and for me, this was Charlton Heston's finest performance. I'm very grateful that despite his star status, he was willing to take on a (pivotal) supporting role and produce such a memorable performance, which rang true at every turn.

Many years after falling in love with this film, I read that it was William Wyler's analogous commentary on the Cold War ...and that there was more than a little warfare on set between co-producers Gregory Peck and Wyler in terms of the script and direction. For all that, this film turned out superbly and remains a personal favourite. [...albeit, lacking a Frankie Lane chug-a-lug...]

Burl Ives was and still is one of my all time favourite singers. One of the all time greats as an actor as well.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Howard Hawks RIO BRAVO.

Bravo indeed. Loved every minute of it. Deserving of its classic status 100%.

Loved the chemistry between The Duke, The Dude and Stumpy. Wayne, Martin and Brennan were so likable in their roles it's impossible to imagine anyone else playing them. Angie Dickinson was gorgeous. And I'm sure the young ladies if the time appreciated Ricky Nelson.

Simple western story beautifully told. Great cast, photography, music, and truly memorable characters. One of my new favorite classics.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
John Ford's THE HORSE SOLDIERS

One of the lesser Ford/Wayne collaborations but still a pretty good film set during the Civil War. Liked the chemistry between The Duke as commander and William Holden as the doctor. Apparently they held opposing political views and it showed.

Constance Towers was gorgeous especially during the dinner scene where, in a very low cut dress, bends over and offers the Duke a choice of fried chicken.....thigh or breast. :P

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of my childhood favorite films is The Horse Soldiers! Film is best on a true story in which the Union Army conducted a raid in the Deep South.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Henry Hathaway's NORTH TO ALASKA

Sort of a western I guess, this Duke film is a fun lighthearted rom/com romp set in the 49th state (though not filmed there).

I don't think I've ever seen Wayne smile and have as much fun as he did in this. Capucine was pleasant on the eyes.

A somewhat pleasant change of pace from the more serious films I have been watching.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So.....anyone else share my feeling about SHANE and think it's overrated?

I've never been a huge fan of Shane, either. I saw the movie for the first time in a college film class in the ealry '80's and was instantly annoyed by the kid Joey. Out of all the films which are considered "great" westerns, it's probably my least favorite. I never bothered to upgrade my SD-DVD copy to BD on this one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Michael Curtiz's The Commancheros

Another fine western which was actually co-directed by Wayne since Curtiz (Casablanca) was ill ( he died shortly after the film was released).

I liked the story of Duke as a Texas Ranger who partners up with Stuart Whitman to fight the title characters.

Especially memorable in a small role was Lee Marvin, who the Duke recommended to John Ford for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (next on my viewing list).

Great photography, Elmer Bernstein music and classic John Wayne.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks