What's new

Classic Vs. Current Tv On Dvd (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

That'd be me. :D It's not a bad show by any means. Not something I watch all that often but every once in a while, I'll pull it out. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how knowing the result of Survivor/Amazing Race/Apprentice, etc. and buying the DVDs is any different than buying a sitcom or especially a drama that you've already seen.

But don't worry, I did not buy (nor did I ever watch) the Nick and Jessica show. ;)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Classic for me. Part nostalgia, part well written, part more family oriented. There are very few sitcoms today that make me laugh out loud. Shows like Dick Van Dyke (my favorite sitcom of all time), Mary Tyler Moore, All In The Family, Bob Newhart, they were well written and very funny. Like someone else said, many shows had good moral lessons. Many shows today I won't allow my kids to watch. In fact, between all my tv shows and old classic movies on dvd we hardly watch any current tv except for maybe the Apprentice.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'll have to agree with those who go for TV from any era. To me, quality is quality, it doesn't matter if a show was produced in the 1960s or last year.
It all comes down to re-watchability. Will I watch it enough to justify forking over my hard-earned cash for a season set?

That said, I am much less likely to pick up a show that's still on the air or that I can easily find in reruns or for rental somewhere, than I am to pick up a classic that is rarely if ever shown. I adore stuff like DEADWOOD and the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA but am not likely to buy those season sets, at least not for a while. However, I have THE WILD WILD WEST, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, the original JONNY QUEST, THE TIME TUNNEL, THE ROCKFORD FILES season one sets on order from Amazon (plus seasons 3-7 of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER). Some of those (TWWW and TTT) were childhood faves caught in syndication and not seen since, others watched seldom but which I'm curious about now and have heard enough good reports about that they seem worth picking up .

I'll gladly side with those who hope for a more aggressive release pattern of classic product from the 50s, 60s and 70s, for many of the aforementioned reasons (rarity, complete runtimes, nostalgia value, etc.) Especially I get excited over vintage shows I've never had a chance to see (even in my syndication-rich youth in the 70s/early 80s), such as the recently-released CHEYENNE and RAWHIDE. Shows like 77 SUNSET STRIP, M SQUAD, ROUTE 66, HIGH CHAPPAREL, SUGARFOOT, etc., that I've never (or rarely) seen, and that are reputed to be worthy, I'd definitely be interested in.

Personally, though, I just can't see ever picking up any U.S. show from the 80s (with the possible exception of TALES OF THE GOLD MONKEY)...shows from that decade just have NOT aged well at all, IMO. Especially the sitcoms...but hey, bring it all out! I'm certainly happy for those who are fans of certain shows to get what they want, even if I have no interest in them.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Same here, Shawn!

I like old TV shows from all eras from the late 1940s to the present.

Although the choices in one of the posts above are programs I don't like at all. Desparate Housewives is unwatchable because of the annoying narration of a dead woman. That's a gimmick that never worked. (I'd rather see "Weeds" on Showtime, but I won't until I buy it on DVD).

DALLAS -- The only episodes I watched were the infamous "Who Shot J.R.?" season finale and the concluding season premiere. Wasn't a fan of this show either.

Battlestar Galactica --- The original with Lorne Greene was fun, but only to watch each episode ONCE and that was enough for this guy. The remake is certainly more realistic, but too boring. It pales in comparison as the old show was trying to be camp.

SPACE 1999 --- Bain and Landau were much better in the first 3 years of Mission: Impossible. Enough typed! :)

KUNG FU --- Nice Chinese-style theme music, but the show and David Carradine's lethargic performance puts me to sleep. Carradine even made a comeback playing the grandson of the Kaine character in a 1980s TV movie and a 1990s series: Kung Fu: The Legend Continues. What some actors won't do for money.

Modern shows I watch regularly and enjoy include "24" and My Name is Earl. If FOX would start re-running "Bones" this summer, I might be able to start watching that. Saturday Night Live -- although a shell of what it once was, is still regularly viewed in this house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks