What's new

Classic Vs. Current Tv On Dvd (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I own a few older shows -- "Knight Rider" and "Airwolf" and "Battlestar Galactica"

Honestly, when I bought them, I really was surprised how much I enjoyed them. They were the oldest shows I had purchased and up until that point I really wasn't that interested in "older" titles.

And...for the most part...I am still more interested in the more current fare.

The 9 seasons of "Friends" that I own have become a very well-used part of my DVD collection.

Same goes for my "Alias" sets -- I've really enjoyed those.

In many respects, DVD sets of newer shows offer me a chance to keep current on my favorite shows. I own a TiVo unit, but there is only so much space on the drive.

The upcoming "Lost" set will provide an opportunity to go back and look for little clues and such that I didn't notice the first time around...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There is a huge difference between Classic, and current TV. It all comes down to realism. Classic TV like Planet of the Apes, Kung Fu, The Waltons, and Little House on the Prarie had meaning, substance, and usually a lesson to be learned. Current TV however is stylistic, very realistic(not a good thing for an escapist loving tv viewer) crass, and often just set up to shock. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not my cup of tea. Even a lighthearted current like Wonderfalls is too negative for my liking. On a plus note the actors in current tv fare are usually top notch, and do a better job than classic tv actors.
I have tried Rescue Me, CSI, and Nip/Tuck. I quit watching all these shows because it's like a network battle on who can pull off the more shocking scene that everyone will be talking about. That is just so lame.
Reality Shows, as far as I am concerned are the nail in the coffin for good television.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

I have to agree with you there. I think Reality Shows are killing TV. Just about every channel has them. Even cable channels. If GSN and SOAPnet have reality shows, then it's all down hill from here on.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Oh, I'm a "classics" only guy. I've always gravitated towards them, even when I was quite young. Basically, they just seem to address my tastes in terms of entertainment. It's hard to state exactly how much 'nostalgia' plays a role. After all, many of the series I saw most repeatedly over the years, which technically merit nostalgic status, are hardly my first choices in dvd-releases. I'm too worn out on them, and seem to prefer lesser-run, second-tier series which I'm far less familiar with.

Modern television shows just don't do anything for me. The dizzying camera-movements and quick-cuts I find too distracting, and seem only to take my attention away from the storylines. The sitcoms appear to rarely be more than a string of sex jokes, and snarky pop-culture references. I can rarely even find myself liking any of the characters, as I tire of all the incessant smart-alecky quips. As for "reality shows," good grief, I find them just downright pointless. I'd derive more entertainment from a jigsaw puzzle. But, to each his own.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Classic Television all the way!!

Current TV Sucks with the exception of Las Vegas.

Besides, all the current TV is just that.. CURRENT
So if it's on, why do I need to see it on DVD?
It's the Classics which need to be remastered in an unbutchered state for future generations to enjoy!!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the new Night Stalker, but I'm a fan of the original series. I don't even feel the need to watch the new series. They shouldn't mess with a classic.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Well current for me since am 23. My oldest shows on dvd are Bewitched and Jetsons. The majority is froms the 90s and 00s with a few 80s. Most of what I buy are shows I watched and many times have tapes of so I can replace the tapes.I have also picked up some cable shows such as Shield and Nip/Tuck after seeing a couple episodes while at my grandparents since they have cable and I don't.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I am 29, and for "current" shows I have South Park, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Charmed (plan to stop buying after season 3) and Desperate Housewives and plan to get Veronica Mars next week, and hope to get Supernatural as well down the road.

A good number of my DVD's are shows I watched when I was younger that still hold up to me now, like Remington Steele, Mork And Mindy, Taxi, Roseanne, Diff'rent Strokes, Seinfeld. I also have a lot of shows that are semi-recent but no longer in production like Buffy/Angel/Firefly, Sex And The City, Popular, Freaks And Geeks, etc...

The oldest show I really want on DVD would be Maude.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
All my TV-on-DVD is modern stuff. Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Kids in the Hall, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Simpsons, and Wonderfalls.

The oldies I'd like to buy are Taxi, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, and the Johnny Carson DVDs. I'd add Too Close for Comfort to the list, but the DVDs are syndicated. And I would also love for Burns and Allen to hit DVD.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Classic for me :D I own very few TV/DVD sets made after the 80's and no sets after '96. Most of what I own/want comes from the 60's-80's. I am amazed, though, at the "youngsters" that I've met that like some of the older classics, like Dick Van Dyke, etc. My nephew who grew up in the 80's and early 90's likes some of the classics. Surprise, surprise :D

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I'm surprised how some people are committed to certain eras and won't give later ones a chance. There are great shows in every decade.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I noticed something strange. All these classic shows being released on dvd have to prove profitable for the studios before they continue with the next release. A day or two before Medium season 1 was released, it was announced that the second season would be released this fall. Does that seem fair to you?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm in the classic camp, simply because there is very little current programming that I enjoy with only a few exceptions (Corner Gas being one). Classic to me is '60s and '70s (when I was growing up), with one or two '80s/90s shows (Northern Exposure). That doesn't mean I'm interested in all the shows from a particular era, but the balance of interest is there.

James@R

Second Unit
Classic. I mainly buy stuff I grew up watching, and know I will get repeated spins out of (ie. Twilight Zone; Andy Griffith; Sanford and Son; Star Trek; etc.) Even though all of these were well before my time, they're the shows I respond to the most.

I'll also buy older shows I'm curious about, but never plan on watching in their entirety. Mainly stuff that's fun to watch a few times, but not well-written enough for me to sit through every episode. In this case, the appeal is both nostalgia and the idea that you can own a show in its entirety for a relatively low price.

Current tv doesn't appeal to me at all, though. I mean, who buys something like The Apprentice? :D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Who buys something like NEWLEYWEDS: NICK AND JESSICA...? I mean, is anyone going to break out the popcorn and revisit this when they're 65?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

That silly thing was released simply to cash in on their then-current popularity. If ya wanna laugh, I was down to the 99-cents store yesterday and--this is true--they were selling copies of Nick & Jessica's primetime special for--you guessed it! 99 Cents!

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I prefer shows I can't see on the air anymore. I'll buy Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development but I'm more excited over releases like NewsRadio or Sgt. Bilko.

Sorry. This thread has been around so long I answered it twice. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't even take 99 cents from them to take it off their hands... they'd have to give me at least $5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks