What's new

Classic TV Not on DVD - My Top Ten (and then some) (1 Viewer)

BillGroves

Auditioning
Let's see if I can keep this to a top 10:

1. The Man From UNCLE (and Girl, too, of course)
2. Yancy Derringer
3. T.H.E. Cat
4. Bakersfield P.D.
5. Ken Berry's WOW
6. Captain Nice
7. Mr. Terrific
8. The Associates
9. Sea Hunt
10. Checkmate

Plus:

77 Sunset Strip (and the other WB detective shows)
Combat
Rocky Jones, Space Ranger
The Adventures of Superman
Here Comes the Grump
Col. March of Scotland Yard
Thriller
Mission: Impossible

With seconds for:

Night Gallery
Police Squad
The Flash
The Wild, Wild West
The Smothers Brothers Show (sitcom)and Comedy Hour
Star Trek Animated

Well, that's a start, anyway

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thomas T, I'm glad you mentioned The Virginian. I do hope you meant the 60s series (James Drury, Lee J. Cobb, Doug McClure, Roberta Shore, Clu Gulager, and many others).
In the same vein, I would like to add Alias Smith and Jones.

Cees

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My top 10:

1) The Fugitive (60's of course)
2) The Andy Griffith Show (Seasons 1-5 would suffice - Barney eps.)
3) Leave it to Beaver
4) Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (Seasons 1-2, the rest is too silly)
5) Father Knows Best
6) Perry Mason
7) Wonder Years
8) The Munsters
9) The Adventures of Superman
10) Greatest American Hero

*Note I didn't include shows we know are coming soon (The Flintstones for example), or even those that are heavily rumored to be coming soon (Star Trek or Happy Days, for 2 examples).

Gary "and that's just the tip of the iceberg for me" OS

P.S. I still don't consider the Fugitive to be even in the heavily rumored stage, based on what I've heard so far. I hope the info from different sources proves to be true, but right now I don't think Paramount is actively engaged in making this show a dvd reality. Again, I hope I'm wrong. Same goes for Andy Griffith - even though I've heard faint rumblings it's not enough for me to consider it a "heavy rumor".

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
From my current list of 200+ TV series (a number of which are already out on DVD), here's my Top Ten (preferably marketed in season sets, with as many extras as possible):

1. Hawaii Five-O

2. Gunsmoke

3. My Three Sons

4. Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.

5. Get Smart

6. Adam-12

7. Dragnet 1967

8. Happy Days

9. The Six Million Dollar Man

10. Wonder Woman

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
This is my first post on here but this thread caught my eye.

My list for Classic TV would be as such:

1. BEWITCHED - I know it's coming next year to coincide with the movie release but man, seeing Japan get it on DVD before we do really makes me want it all the more.
2. I Dream of Jeannie
3. The Munsters
4. The Addams Family

That's about it! I just really REALLY want Bewitched. And I want it treated like the Dick Van Dyke show has been treated on DVD, with nice extras and such.

Rob Keil

Agent
My favorite classics not on DVD (in order of preference)

1. The Bob Newhart Show (1972-1978)
2. Newhart (1982-1990)
3. The Odd Couple (1970-1975)
4. Taxi (1978-1983)
5. Police Squad! (1982)

6. The Jetsons (1962), apparently on the way
7. Seinfeld (1989-1998) apparently on the way

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Joe Pinney...Where's the list?
Link takes you to an IMDB page, showing "0" results. (Interestingly, the page has my initials on it. :))

I'd like to see your list.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Bewitched is one of my most wanted titles too! I'm just really hoping the first two seasons won't be colorized like the Japan sets! I would probably still buy them because I love the show so much, but I would be really upset!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

I kindof hope they are colorized because we can always turn the color off on the set.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but I think I've read here @ HTF where turning down the color creates a weird of some type of oddball-looking picture image. Hazy or something. Perhaps a tech expert can chime in here on whether simply "turning down the color" on a program you'd rather see in B&W will give you the same picture as watching the regular B&W version.

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
1.The Untouchables (The orignal)
2.Mission Impossible (Both)
3.Sliders
4.The Time Tunnel
5.Land of the Giants
6.The Invaders
7.V the tv series
8.Voyage to the bottom of the sea
9.The FBI
10.Rawhide

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
  1. The Addams Family (1964-1966, 64 eps. + 1977 Reunion special) — Worldvision(?)
    Need I say more? This was once a Criterion TV laserdisc release… maybe they can forge forward and release the entire series for DVD?
  2. Duckman (1994-1997, 70 eps.) — Paramount
    "What the hell are YOU looking at!?!" I wish it was Duckman on DVD!
  3. Eerie Indiana — BMG
    Dammit, BMG, these have already been pressed, packaged and sitting around for MONTHS! Officially release it already so I can finally get my copy shipped to me!!!
  4. Giant Roboaka: Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot (1967-1968, 26 eps.) — MGM?
    I've already picked up this entire series on two recently-released Japanese DVD collections (fantastic quality + tons of extra, inc. 213 BGM Music-only tracks totalling 191:32!!!). Still, a subtitled original language domestic release (plus the original, horrid English dub track) would be most welcome. Plus, we need a concurrent release of the Voyage Into Space movie compilation for completion's sake!
  5. The Green Hornet (1966-1967, 26 eps.) — Fox
    If Fox can't get Batman out due to legal issues, then get rolling on this other great series!
  6. Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974-1975, 20 eps.) — Universal
    One of the best Universal TV properties around! Must have!
  7. Max Headroom (1985-1988, Pilot + 14 eps.) — Warner (?)
    I've got these on import LDs, but Max was made for DVD release! I'd also love to see The Max Headroom Show talk show get released, but first things first…
  8. Parker Lewis Can't Lose (1990-1993, 73 eps.) — Columbia TriStar
    Hmmm, I thought this was a nearly "guarenteed" release, especially since it appeared as one of their DVD poll selections. World needs Parker Lewis. Come on, if the studio can seriously consider releasing ¢®@¶ such as Maude, releasing Parker Lewis and Quark should be an easy decision!
  9. Pee Wee's Playhouse (1986-1990, 33 eps.?) - MGM
    "Today's secret word is: DVD!"
  10. Police Squad! (in colour) (1982, 6 eps.) — Paramount
    Amazingly still unreleased! Hopefully any future DVD version will include the original music segment from the show — Ep. #5 and 6 had music replaced when rebroadcast and when released on VHS & LD. (Ep. 5 originally featured "Happy Birthday"; Ep. #6 used some Judy Garland songs.) And please… include the unaired John Belushi "Celebrity Death" opening segment from Ep. #6 (Belushi died shortly after filming this segment, and the network tactfully refused to use his footage. A new opening was subsequently filmed with William Conrad. However, we really need to finally see Belushi's segment!)
  11. Quark (1978, 9 eps.) — Columbia TriStar
    Please please please! At nearly 25 years old, my tape copies are nearly the equivalent of dust! Need nice new shiny digital copies!
  12. Science Fiction Theatre (1955-1957, 78 eps.) — United Artists (MGM? Warner?)
    Classic anthology series.
  13. Sledge Hammer (1986-1988, 41 eps.)
    I know, I know, it's already been confirmed as coming out in June. But it's still on my top-TV list! (I've been waiting for this day ever since I decided not to buy the full Japanese LD set waaaaay back when… which I'm still kicking myself for… every few years…)
  14. The Tick (Animated) (1994-1996, 36 eps.) — Buena Vista
    Yup… this is a Disney property now. When I talked with the Tick guys last year, they told me that Disney has just finished a full acquisition of ALL of Akom Productions properties. Unfortunately, they say the chances of The Tick getting a DVD release is likely slim to none, since Disney apparently isn't even aware of the fact that they own the show now, since it was simply a small drop in a large aquisition bucket. Very sad indeed! Disney needs to somehow be made aware of their ownership of this title and convinced to release it!
  15. Thriller (1960-1962, 67 eps.) — Universal
    First you tantalize us with a single LD box set, and then… nothing else. This classic series is absolutely fantastic and deserves nothing less than a full series release!
  16. "Weird Al" Show (1997, 13 eps.) — ???
    The world needs more "Weird Al" programs…
  17. "Weird Al" AL-TV (1984-1989, 8 eps. / 2003, ? eps.) — ???
    Ditto.
    [/list=1]

There's a few other unreleased shows here and there that I wouldn't mind having copies of, but these are my best-of-the-best!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks